The Hits Radio
|Broadcast area||United Kingdom|
|Slogan||The Hits for the United Kingdom|
Freeview: 711 |
11B (Humberside, Liverpool, Teesside)
11C (Glasgow, Manchester, South Yorkshire, Tyne & Wear)
12D (Edinburgh, Leeds)
|First air date||1 April 2003|
|Last air date||4 June 2018|
|Format||Contemporary pop music|
The Hits was a CHR digital radio platform owned and operated by Bauer Radio. It formed part of Bauer's National portfolio of radio brands. The platform broadcast from Castlefield, Manchester with a line up of young and established presenters from various stations within Bauer Radio. It was available as a national service, under The Hits branding, on the Freeview digital television platform and online.
The service was merged with Bauer's Key 103 station to form Hits Radio in June 2018.
The Hits launched on 1 April 2003.
On 19 January 2015 The Hits formed the backbone of a new locally branded Bauer City 3 network of radio stations in Northern England and Scotland.. The local City 3 branding was dropped on 31 August 2017, in favour of reverting to using The Hits name in all areas.
On 4 June 2018, Hits Radio launched and The Hits was merged with Key 103 to provide a single national service across the UK on DAB and Freeview. In Manchester, Hits Radio continues to provide local news and information, traffic bulletins and advertising on its local platforms - 103 FM, DAB and online. 'Hits Radio' also produces and broadcast off-peak programming for Bauer's network of CHR local stations which continue to air local programming at peak times.
- Bauer City Network 3 launches on local DAB Radio Today, 19 January 2015
- "The Hits to replace Bauer's City 3 network", RadioToday, 2017-08-29
- Bauer to launch new national radio station, Bauer Media, 18 April 2018
- Key 103 to become Hits Radio as part of major rebrand, Prolific North, 18 April 2018
- Key 103 to rebrand as Hits Radio and go national, Radio Today, 19 April 2018
- Bauer City Network to be rebranded Hits Radio Network as new national station beckons, The Drum, 18 April 2018