The Hoffman Agency
|Public Relations Agency|
|Headquarters||San Jose, CA|
Number of locations
Founder and CEO
Managing Director of Europe
Number of employees
The Hoffman Agency is a global public relations firm with international headquarters in Silicon Valley and offices across Europe, Asia Pacific and the United States. The agency offers integrated campaigns across multiple geographic regions that incorporate traditional media relations, digital, content marketing, SEO and social media. The company's customers range from Nokia to Nautilus, Inc. and Avast to Baidu, Inc.
Its areas of expertise include: 5G, artificial intelligence, security, semiconductor, enterprise software, IoT and consumer technology.
Storytelling in Communications
The Hoffman Agency deploys storytelling techniques found in classic storytelling (such as levity, drama and voice) to make business communications more interesting and persuasive. The firm uses these storytelling techniques in many types of communications and conducts storytelling workshops for internal communicators, executives and employees. An agency blog that focuses on storytelling in business communications was recognized by PR Daily and was listed as one of the top 30 most influential blogs by Cyber Alert.
The company also has a microsite that serves as an industry resource and shares storytelling techniques.
The Hoffman Agency was founded in the U.S. in December 1987 by Lou Hoffman to provide communications services to technology companies, including Hewlett-Packard.
In 1993 the firm won the Silver Anvil Award for its work launching HP’s miniature disk drive, Kitty Hawk. In 1994 The Hoffman Agency initiated its first global campaign in launching Hyundai’s (now known as Hynix) MPEG-2 chip in Europe and Asia Pacific.
The firm has been operating in Asia for 20+ years, starting with the opening of the Singapore office in 1996. The company opened additional offices in Asia between 1996 and 2000, including those in Beijing, Hong Kong and Tokyo.
Asia expansion continued with an office opening in Korea in 2001. In 2010 the company started an office in Shanghai, and in 2017 and 2018 opened additional offices in Jakarta and Taiwan.
The company has received more than 150 industry awards, including being selected by The Holmes Report as Tech Agency of the Year Finalist in 2014, 2015 and 2016 in the U.S., and Technology Consultancy of the Year in Asia in 2018.
In April 2019, the agency formed an exclusive partnership with global communications firm Hotwire. Under the agreement, Hotwire will collaborate with Hoffman’s wholly owned offices in Singapore, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, Korea and Indonesia to provide public relations services to clients.
Bell Labs is the research and development subsidiary of Alcatel-Lucent founded by Alexander Graham Bell in 1925. The Hoffman Agency created a campaign around the Big Bang Bash, an event honoring the 50th anniversary of the research providing the first tangible evidence of “cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation” — proving the Big Bang. The event was hosted by Bell Labs, whose researchers played an important role in confirming the scientific theory. The campaign resulted in over 220 million online impressions and was covered in publications such as the Huffington Post, NPR and Scientific American. As a result, The Hoffman Agency won the 2014 Holmes Report In2 SABRE Award in the Most Innovative Print and Digital Media category for this campaign.
City of Fremont
Since 2012, The Hoffman Agency has helped The City of Fremont, CA advance its economic development efforts and brand image. The Hoffman Agency won a 2014 In2 SABRE Award for its work with the City after launching the Think Silicon Valley website as the anchor to its overall communications campaign. The website has helped the City build relationships with local businesses and media, and established itself as a hub for advanced manufacturing, clean tech and life sciences. In addition, The Hoffman Agency has helped extend the City's reach beyond local press through media coverage in The Associated Press, The Washington Post, Bloomberg and CNET. As a result, The Hoffman Agency was shortlisted as a finalist in the 2015 SABRE Awards North America for its continued work with Fremont.
Global fitness products company Nautilus, Inc. aimed to drive sales and bolster the company's brand as a home fitness innovator for the debut of the Bowflex Max Trainer® cardio machine. The Hoffman Agency created a launch campaign, which resulted in media coverage from publications including TechCrunch, LA Times, Men's Fitness and USA Today. As a result, the agency submitted the product for recognition and gained two international design awards. To add to the Bowflex brand momentum, Hoffman created and launched the Bowflex Insider blog, which was named the best fitness blog by USAHomeGym and won an award from the Holmes Report as an innovative home media property.
In January 2016, Nokia acquired Alcatel-Lucent and began integrating its technology across Nokia’s existing portfolios in cloud, SDN and IP networks. The acquisition was finalized in November 2016. Hoffman has helped Alcatel-Lucent transition into new roles within Nokia and supported various business groups related to SDN, IP/optical networking, verticals, software, 5G/IoT and more. On the networking front, The Hoffman Agency has worked with Nokia on announcements such as the Photonic Service Engine 3 chipset launched in March 2018 that was covered by VentureBeat and ZDNet. Additionally, Hoffman coordinated with Nokia to invite media members to the Future X Lab facility in New Jersey in November 2018, resulting in articles by The Wall Street Journal, Network World and Wireless Week, among others.
Global semiconductor manufacturer NXP Semiconductors engaged The Hoffman Agency to lead media relations surrounding the company’s product announcements at CES 2017. The campaign was covered in publications such as CNET, Digital Trends, Fast Company and TechRepublic. Based on the campaign, The Hoffman Agency was chosen as a finalist in the Trade Shows and Awards category at the 2018 North America IN2 SABRE Awards.
Sony launched its High-Res Audio (HRA) website and product line hoping to reach millennials. The Hoffman Agency created a content marketing campaign that doubled the page views and won the 2017 PR News Agency Elite Awards in both the content marketing and search engine optimization categories.
Synaptics is a company that invents human interface technology. The Hoffman Agency created a campaign for its auto technology that allows vehicle access via fingerprints in both the U.S. and Chinese markets. The campaign resulted in coverage in USA Today and Detroit Free Press, and the Holmes Report shortlisted Hoffman in the Best in B2B Earned Media category for the IN2 SABRE Awards.
The Hoffman Agency helped prepare Zscaler for the first IPO of 2018. The campaign was covered in mainstream, local and security publications such as TechCrunch, Barron’s, Financial Times and Business Insider.
- Ishmael's Corner
- Startup lessons learned from Warren Buffett, VentureBeat
- The Promise of Cloud Computing, Inc.
- Chui Sui Central: Communication Revolution, The Pitch HK
- The Hoffman Agency's official site
- The Hoffman Agency's Facebook page
- The Hoffman Agency's SlideShare page
- Daily Brew The Hoffman Agency’s Twitter profile
- The Hoffman Agency's LinkedIn page
- The Hoffman Agency's Pinterest page
- The Hoffman Agency’s storytelling techniques microsite
- Bloomberg BusinessWeek. "The Hoffman Agency."
- Maja Pawinska Sims, Holmes Report. "The Hoffman Agency Names New North America MD." August 21, 2019. Retrieved Sept 10, 2019.
- Matthew Miller, PRWeek. "Hoffman Agency names APAC managing director." May 23, 2017. Retrieved October 23, 2017.
- Arun Sudhaman, The Holmes Report. "Mark Pinsent To Lead The Hoffman Agency In Europe." February 22, 2017. Retrieved October 23, 2017.
- "Technology PR | Changing Trends & PR Firm Coverage". www.odwyerpr.com. Retrieved 2019-04-02.
- "The Hoffman Agency". www.holmesreport.com. Retrieved 2019-04-02.
- Ryan Chittum, Columbia Journalism Review. "Audit Notes: Boston Globe bids, WSJ flops at BuzzFeed, News Corp.." June 28, 2013. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- "Why Storytelling Is a Vital Part of Blogging". Web Hosting Secret Revealed. 2017-05-14. Retrieved 2019-05-02.
- Steve Tobak, CBS News. "How to Be a Great Storyteller and Win Over Any Audience." January 12, 2011 Retrieved December 19, 2011.
- Peter Lewis, Words & Ideas. "“The Infographic Is the New Black” Archived 2012-04-26 at the Wayback Machine." September 22, 2011. Retrieved December 19, 2011.
- Ragan's PR Daily. "The art of storytelling lives on in this award-winning blog." Retrieved December 05, 2013.
- CyberAlert. "The 30 Most Influential Bloggers in Public Relations Archived 2013-12-10 at the Wayback Machine." Retrieved December 05, 2013.
- Six Ways to Open an Office Overseas.” April 1, 2007.
- Hoffman Awards Page
- The Hoffman Agency Milestones.”
- Samadi, Faaez. "The Big Interview: The Hoffman Agency's CEO & founder Lou Hoffman". www.prweek.com. Retrieved 2019-05-07.
- Aimee Grove, ANALYSIS: Profile - Hoffman: breaking the boundaries for PR. Don't let his near-empty appointment book fool you - Lou Hoffman is busy breaking PR boundaries[permanent dead link]." October 16, 2000.
- By Inc. Staff This Is How It's Done: 30 Smart Business Moves." April 1, 2009.
- Innocents Abroad.” June 1, 2006.
- Advancing PR: It Takes Two to Dance.” June 16, 2009.
- Samadi, Faaez. "The Hoffman Agency opens in Indonesia". www.prweek.com. Retrieved 2019-05-22.
- "Technology Agencies of the Year". www.holmesreport.com. Retrieved 2019-05-22.
- "2018 Asia-Pacific Consultancies Of The Year: Finalists Revealed". www.holmesreport.com. Retrieved 2019-05-22.
- "News of Firms: Hotwire, Hoffman Agency Link in Asia; Avenir Global Acquires Hanover; PR360 Joins PROI Worldwide; Otto & Friends Debuts - Thu., Apr. 4, 2019". www.odwyerpr.com. Retrieved 2019-05-22.
- "Hotwire and Hoffman Agency sign partnership". Campaign Asia. Retrieved 2019-05-22.
- Yuen, Simon (2019-04-03). "The Hoffman Agency forms exclusive partnership with Hotwire". Marketing Interactive. Retrieved 2019-05-22.
- Mike Vago, A.V. Club. “Drop some science with groundbreaking research institute Bell Labs.” May 19, 2014. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- Tanya Lewis, PR Week. “Bell Labs celebrates Big Bang anniversary with innovation campaign.” July 24, 2014. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- Mike Wall, NBC News. “Bell Labs Celebrates Big Bang Discovery at 50th-Anniversary Bash.” May 20, 2014. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- Mike Wall, Space.com. “Cosmic Anniversary: 'Big Bang Echo' Discovered 50 Years Ago Today.” May 20, 2014. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- pbs.org. “Penzias and Wilson discover cosmic microwave radiation 1965.” Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- David Freeman, Huffington Post. “This Famous Astronomer Was Looking For 'Zero' But Wound Up Proving The Big Bang Theory.” June 16, 2014. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- Geoff Brumfiel, NPR. “Big Bang's Ripples: Two Scientists Recall Their Big Discovery.” May 20, 2014. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- Clara Moskowitz, Scientific American. “Smart Luck: How the Big Bang Was Found by Accident [Slide Show.” May 30, 2014. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- The Holmes Report. “2015 In2 SABRE Awards — The Shortlist.” January 11, 2015. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- Wes Bowers, San Jose Mercury News. “Fremont hires PR firm to lift image for $195,000.” October 4, 2012. May 19, 2015.
- Tom Foremski, Silicon Valley Watcher. “Holmes Report's Innovation Summit Recognizes Innovators In PR And Media.” January 30, 2014. May 19, 2015.
- Think Silicon Valley. “Advancing Business in Silicon Valley.” May 19, 2015.
- PR Daily. "Hitching website wagon to tech capital puts Fremont on the map." May 19, 2015.
- Martha Mendoza, AP. “Silicon Valley-area hub becomes factory town.” May 18, 2013. May 19, 2015.
- Howard Schneider, The Washington Post. “When a factory leaves town: in the shadow of Silicon Valley, a city reels from job losses.” August 22, 2014. May 19, 2015.
- Dan Levy, Bloomberg Business. “Lennar Said to Reach California Land Deal for 3,000 Homes.” May 31, 2014. May 19, 2015.
- Richard Nieva, CNET. “Small-city mayors: Build your tech hardware in the US.” October 2, 2014. May 19, 2015.
- The Holmes Report. “2015 SABRE Awards North America finalists.” May 19, 2015.
- John Gradits, Seeking Alpha. “Nautilus: New Products, Efficiency And Poised For Growth.” February 14, 2015. June 3, 2015.
- Darrell Etherington, TechCrunch. “Bowflex Max Trainer M5 Review: Connected, Intense Exercise In A Relatively Compact Package.” October 4, 2014. June 3, 2015.
- Roy Wallack, Los Angeles Times. “New machines aim to be a runner's hurt blocker.” July 11, 2014. June 3, 2015.
- Mark Barroso, Men's Fitness. “Nautilus Launches New Fitness Products.” June 3, 2015.
- Jennifer Jolly, USA Today. “TECH NOW: Turn exercise into a game; sip smart with Vessyl.” June 28, 2014. June 3, 2015.
- idesignawards. “.” June 3, 2015.
- Physical Therapy Products. “Nautilus Receives Red Dot Design Award for Bowflex Max Trainer.” March 31, 2015. June 3, 2015.
- USA Home Gym. “Top 10 Fitness Company Blogs 2015.” June 3, 2015.
- The Holmes Report. “2014 In2 SABRE Awards - The Shortlist.” December 19, 2013. June 3, 2015.
- "Nokia Acquires Alcatel-Lucent, Integration to Start Soon". www.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "Nokia's New Products Could Boost Revenue". www.barrons.com. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "Nokia targets gains from web giants with fastest routers". Reuters. 2017-06-14. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "Nokia unveils first chipset promising multi-terabit routing". VentureBeat. 2017-06-14. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- Lewis, Tanya. "Bell Labs celebrates Big Bang anniversary with innovation campaign". www.prweek.com. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "With 5G coming, your neighborhood could get 10Gbps cable broadband". VentureBeat. 2018-03-12. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- Gagliordi, Natalie. "Nokia updates its Photonic Service Engine chipset". ZDNet. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- Castellanos, Sara (2018-11-07). "Nokia's Bell Labs Envisions 5G Spurring Robot Productivity". WSJ. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- Ferranti, Marc (2018-11-08). "Bell Labs: Nokia's Future X 5G network can boost business productivity". Network World. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- Fletcher, Bevin (2018-11-07). "Nokia Targets Industrial Markets with New 'Future X' Strategy". Electronic Component News. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "The Hoffman Agency". www.holmesreport.com. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "Contactless badge turns Sin City into smart city for CES 2017". SecureIDNews. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- Cunningham, Wayne. "Self-driving cars to headline CES 2017". Roadshow. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- www.digitaltrends.com https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/here-one-true-wireless-sound-augmenting-earbuds-ces-2017/. Retrieved 2019-06-05. Missing or empty
- Sullivan, Mark (2016-12-13). "Like Apple's AirPods, Doppler's Wireless Earbuds Got Delayed. Here's Why". Fast Company. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "CES 2017: Watch an autonomous car customize itself for the safety and liability of its passengers".
- "2018 Finalists". www.holmesreport.com. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "Hear that? Sony has new line of high-res audio gear". USA TODAY. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "Agency Elite Award Winners and Honorable Mentions to Be Celebrated in NYC Sept. 14". PR News. 2017-08-09. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "霍夫曼公关斩获Synaptics中国年度公关业务 | 麦迪逊邦". Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "You'll be using a fingerprint to start your car soon". USA TODAY. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "Car technology about to see this 'revolutionary' change". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "2019 IN2 SABRE Finalists". www.holmesreport.com. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- "Zscaler IPO Doubles In Debut After Pricing Above Range, Raising $192 Million".
- "Cloud security startup Zscaler closes at $33, up 106% on its first day of trading on Nasdaq". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- Ray, Tiernan. "Zscaler Doubles in IPO: Nice Day for Tech Vet Chaudhry". www.barrons.com. Retrieved 2019-06-05.
- Peterson, Becky. "A little known cloud security company just raised $192 million in the first big tech IPO of 2018". Business Insider. Retrieved 2019-06-05.