The Hole (song)
|Single by Randy Travis|
|from the album You and You Alone|
|Released||June 4, 1998|
|Format||CD Single, 7" 45 RPM|
|Writer(s)||Skip Ewing, James Dean Hicks|
|Producer(s)||James Stroud, Byron Gallimore, Randy Travis|
|Randy Travis singles chronology|
"The Hole" is a song written by Skip Ewing and James Dean Hicks, and recorded by American country music singer Randy Travis. It was released in June 1998 as the second single from his album You and You Alone. It peaked at number 9 on the Hot Country Singles & Tracks (now Hot Country Songs) chart, and number 4 in Canada.
Co-producer James Stroud told Billboard Magazine that when Randy went to sing the song for the first time in front of a room full of Nashville players, "his voice just filled the room. And when we stopped, these great professional musicians stood up and gave him a standing ovation. I have never seen that done in this town before. Never."
"The Hole" is a song describing a man who is burdened by his sins, which are compared to a hole in the ground. He is described as digging the hole deeper in a futile attempt to get out: "Now he won't let go of the shovel, and he can't dig out of the hole."
Use in media
The song was featured in the 1998 movie Deep Impact.
"The Hole" debuted at number 72 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks for the week of June 13, 1998.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||4|
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||5|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||9|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||46|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||63|
- Billboard, March 14, 1999
- Archived page of Randy-Travis.com from January 1999. Retrieved September 19, 2009
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 7079." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. September 28, 1998. Retrieved July 14, 2013.
- "Randy Travis – Chart history" Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 for Randy Travis.
- "Randy Travis – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Randy Travis.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1998". RPM. December 14, 1998. Retrieved July 14, 2013.
- "Best of 1998: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 1998. Retrieved July 14, 2013.