The Holy River
|"The Holy River"|
UK CD single
|Single by Prince|
|from the album Emancipation|
|B-side||"Somebody's Somebody" (Radio edit)
"Somebody's Somebody" (Livestudio Mix)
"Somebody's Somebody" (Ultrafantasy Edit)
"The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" (Mustang Mix)
"On Sale Now!"
January 13, 1997(CHR/Pop Radio)
|Recorded||Paisley Park Studios, 1995–1996|
|Length||Radio edit 4:00
|Prince singles chronology|
|Prince (UK) singles chronology|
The song is pop/rock-based number that tells the story of spiritual enlightenment and of Prince's decision to marry Mayte Garcia. The mid-tempo number features a guitar melody without a chorus. The song climaxes in a searing guitar and Pipe organ solo.
The UK CD single was released as a two separate discs which fit in a double jewel case that was included with the first disc. Both discs had different picture sleeves and different contents, other than a "radio edit" of "The Holy River" and edit of "Somebody's Somebody" (also from Emancipation). Disc one also included two remixes of "Somebody's Somebody": a "Livestudio Mix" and an "Ultrafantasy Edit". Both were mostly re-recorded versions of the song with additional lyrics. Disc 2 included the previously released "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World (Mustang Mix)" and a one-minute commercial called "On Sale Now!". The UK cassette single was the same as disc 2, but without "On Sale Now".
A US promotional release was sent to Pop radio stations at the same time as "Somebody's Somebody" was sent to Urban radio stations, it was also made available to consumers for free, and only through book chain, Borders Music. It was a cassette single with the previously unreleased "Welcome 2 the Dawn", advertised as being from the upcoming album The Dawn. In reality, the song was later released on The Truth. A music video for the single was also produced.
Excluding the re-release of "1999", "The Holy River"/"Somebody's Somebody" became his final UK Top 40 single in his lifetime.
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||4|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||92|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||63|
|US Billboard Hot 100 Airplay||58|
|US Billboard Mainstream Top 40||19|
|US Billboard Hot Adult Top 40 Tracks||31|
|The Holy River/Somebody's Somebody (1997)||Peak
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||19|
- "The Artist (Formerly Known As Prince) - The Holy River". Discogs. Retrieved 2016-06-22.
- "The Holy River of Prince in video on Jukebox". Jukebox. Retrieved 2016-06-22.
- "Ultratop.be – The Artist Formerly Known as Prince – The Holy River" (in Dutch). Ultratip. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – The Artist Formerly Known as Prince – The Holy River". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – The Artist Formerly Known as Prince – The Holy River" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- "Prince: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
|This 1990s rock single-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|