The Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts
Motto in English
|Art – Surpassing Imagination|
|Director||Professor Adrian Walter|
|Location||No. 1 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong|
|Campus||Main Campus, Béthanie Campus|
|Colors||Purple ‹See Tfm›|
|The Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts|
The Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts (Chinese: 香港演藝學院) is a provider of tertiary education in Hong Kong. Located near the north coast of Wan Chai on Hong Kong Island, the main campus also functions as a venue for performances.
The Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts, established in 1984, is one of the leading institutes of arts higher education in Asia. It provides professional education, training and research facilities in the performing arts, theatre and entertainment arts, film and television. Its educational policy reflects the cultural diversity of Hong Kong with emphasis on Chinese and Western traditions and interdisciplinary complementarity. The Academy offers academic programmes from Diploma/Foundation to Master's degree level in Dance, Drama, Film and Television, Music, Theatre and Entertainment Arts, as well as Chinese Traditional Theatre.
Every year, HKAPA enrolls about 750 students for its full-time programmes and around 770 students for the junior programmes. Furthermore, its extensive EXCEL (Extension and Continuing Education for Life) programme offers part-time personal enrichment courses and in-service professional training to nearly 8,000 students each year.
Since 1986 the academy has hosted the annual Hong Kong International Dance Conference.
The Academy offers academic programmes from Diploma/Foundation to Master's degree level in 6 Faculties:
- School of Dance
- School of Drama
- School of Film and Television
- School of Music
- School of Theatre and Entertainment Arts
- Chinese Traditional Theatre Programme
Academic staff includes:
- Prof Adrian Walter, Director
- Dr Anita Donaldson, Dean of Dance
- Ceri Sherlock, Dean of Drama
- Shu Kei, Dean of Film and TV
- Dr Sharon Choa, Chair of Music
- John A Williams, Dean of Theatre and Entertainment Arts
- Eleanor Wong, award-winning pianist as artist-in-residence
- Nancy Yuen, renowned soprano as Head of Vocal Studies
- Lyric Theatre, with 1,181 seats.
- Drama Theatre, with 415 seats.
- Concert Hall, with 382 seats.
- Recital Hall, with 134–202 seats
- Studio Theatre, with 120–240 seats
- Wellcome Theatre at the Béthanie Campus
The notable alumni include;
- Power Chan, a Hong Kong television and film actor
- Sunny Chan, a Hong Kong television and film actor
- Louis Cheung, a Hong Kong Cantopop recording-artist, songwriter and actor
- Cheung Tat-ming, a Hong Kong actor, comedian, director and writer
- Jim Chim, a Hong Kong actor, comedian, comedian
- Athena Chu, a Hong Kong actress and singer
- Candy Chu, a Hong Kong actress for the popular Hong Kong TVB television station
- Gem Tang Zhi-kei, a Hong Kong singer-songwriter and actress
- Katy Kung, a Hong Kong actress
- Gigi Lai, a Hong Kong actress and Cantopop singer
- Joey Leung, a Hong Kong actor
- Charmaine Li, an actress with Television Broadcasts Limited.
- Yan Yan Mak, award-winning Hong Kong director
- Marco Ngai, a Hong Kong actor
- Kearen Pang, a Hong Kong actress, writer
- Louisa So, a Hong Kong actress in drama and TV series
- Anthony Wong, an award-winning Hong Kong actor, screenwriter and film director
- Wong Cho-lam, a Hong Kong stage actor, stage director, television actor
- Mandy Wong, a Hong Kong television actress
- Yvonne Yung, a Hong Kong actress
- Rebecca Zhu, a Hong Kong actress
- Béthanie campus, in Pok Fu Lam
- List of higher education institutions in Hong Kong
- List of buildings and structures in Hong Kong
- Education in Hong Kong
- Category:Universities in Hong Kong
- Solomon, John (1995). East Meets West in Dance: Voices in the Cross-Cultural Dialogue. Routledge. p. 99. ISBN 3-7186-5593-4.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts.|