The Hospital Club
Coordinates: The Hospital Club London is a private members club for people in the creative industries. It houses a television studio, screening room, live performance space, restaurant, lounges and gallery over seven floors. The Club is at 24 Endell Street, Covent Garden, London on the site of an 18th century hospital.
The Hospital Club London was founded by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen through his investment company Vulcan Inc. and musician David A. Stewart (formerly of the band Eurythmics), producer and Founder of Weapons of Mass Entertainment.
History of the building
As its name suggests, for many years the building was home to St Paul's Hospital, first established in 1749.
- 1749 — British Lying-In Hospital opened at 24 Endell Street
- 1913 — British Lying-In Hospital closed
- 1923 — St Paul's Hospital moves from Red Lion Square to 24 Endell Street
- 1992 — St Paul's Hospital closed
- 1996 — Building purchased by Paul Allen, planning submitted. Local objections to development mean the project stalls for a number of years while a compromise with residents is worked out
- 2004 — Private members' club, restaurant and recording studio open
Food hygiene ratings
In 2014, the club received a zero rating for food hygiene after an inspection found mouse droppings in kitchens prompting worries of cross-contamination.
In 2015, The Hospital Club received a five star rating by the Foods Standard Agency.
The venue's 2,700 square feet (250 m2) television studio is located two floors below ground level, and when it opened in 2003 was the first high-definition television studio in the UK. A grid height of 4.4 metres (14 ft) and a size of 61 feet x 44 feet, roughly equivalent to that of Television Centre's TC2, means it is well used for programme production.
The studio can accommodate an audience of approximately 200 people sitting or standing. It was recently upgraded, with particular focus on the sound production room which was upgraded in conjunction with Solid State Logic.
- Naylor, Tony (2015-02-28). "The Hospital Club, Covent Garden, London: hotel review". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2017-01-26.
- "British Lying-In Hospital". Lost Hospitals of London. Retrieved 13 July 2018.
- "St Paul's Hospital, Endell Street". Lost Hospitals of London. Retrieved 12 July 2018.
- "Meet Sue Walter at The Hospital Club". 26 September 2012. Retrieved 13 July 2018.
- "Celebrity club gets zero rating from hygiene inspectors". The Times, 16 September 2014, p. 22.
- The Hospital Group. Food Standards Agency, 2015. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- "TV & Music Studios". thehospitalclub. Retrieved 20 January 2019.
- "The Hospital Club Studio". tv studio history. Retrieved 20 January 2019.
- "The Studio @ The Hospital Club". Hire Space. Retrieved 20 January 2019.
- "The Hospital Club Moves to SSL System T". Solid State Logic. Retrieved 20 January 2019.
Media related to The Hospital Club at Wikimedia Commons