The Hottest State
|The Hottest State|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ethan Hawke|
|Produced by||Alexis Alexanian|
|Written by||Ethan Hawke|
|Based on||The Hottest State|
by Ethan Hawke
Catalina Sandino Moreno
|Music by||Jesse Harris|
|Edited by||Adriana Pacheco|
The Hottest State is a 2006 drama film directed and written by Ethan Hawke, which he based on the novel of the same name that he had written and published ten years earlier, in 1996. The film debuted at the Venice Film Festival on September 2, 2006, and received a limited theatrical release in the United States on August 24, 2007. It ran for 5 weeks and grossed $137,341 internationally. The film was subsequently issued on DVD in December 2007.
The film tells the story of a 20-year-old actor William (Mark Webber) who falls in love for the first time with an aspiring singer, Sarah (Catalina Sandino Moreno). As their love blossoms and languishes, young William reexamines himself and his relationship with his mother Jesse (Laura Linney) and estranged father Vince (Ethan Hawke).
- Mark Webber as William Harding
- Catalina Sandino Moreno as Sarah
- Michelle Williams as Samantha
- Laura Linney as Jesse
- Ethan Hawke as Vince
- Daniel Ross as Young Vince
- Anne Clarke as Young Jesse
|The A.V. Club||B|
The music score for the film was composed by Grammy-winning musician Jesse Harris. Aside from the inclusion of two score tracks, the album is composed of sixteen original songs interpreted by such musicians as Willie Nelson, Norah Jones, Cat Power, Bright Eyes, and Feist. It was also named one of "The Top 10 CDs of 2007" by the New York Daily News.
- "Ya No Te Veria Mas (Never See You)" - 2:06 (Rocha)
- "Always Seem To Get Things Wrong" - 3:47 (Willie Nelson)
- "Somewhere Down The Road" - 2:44 (Feist)
- "Big Old House" - 3:54 (Bright Eyes)
- "The Speed of Sound" - 4:19 (Emmylou Harris)
- "It Will Stay With Us" - 2:17 (Jesse Harris)
- "If You Ever Slip" - 2:33 (The Black Keys)
- "Crooked Lines" - 4:28 (M. Ward)
- "World of Trouble" - 4:35 (Norah Jones)
- "Never See You" - 5:04 (Brad Mehldau)
- "It's Alright To Fail" - 3:40 (Cat Power)
- "One Day The Dam Will Break" - 2:58 (Jesse Harris)
- "You, The Queen" - 4:17 (Tony Scherr)
- "Morning In A Strange City (Cafe)" - 2:00
- "No More" - 3:59 (Rocha)
- "Dear Dorothy" - 2:28 (Jesse Harris)
- "Never See You" - 2:46 (Rocha)
- "There Are No Good Second Chances" - 4:58
- "The Hottest State (2007) - Box Office Mojo". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2010-02-10.
- La Gorce, Tammy. "The Hottest State – Original Soundtrack". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved March 16, 2015.
- Murray, Noel (August 14, 2007). "Various Artists: The Hottest State: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". The A.V. Club. The Onion. Retrieved March 16, 2015.
- Grischow, Chad (August 31, 2007). "The Hottest State Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Review". IGN. Retrieved March 16, 2015.
- Mitchum, Rob (August 9, 2007). "Various Artists: The Hottest State OST". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved March 16, 2015.
- "The top 10 CDs of 2007". New York Daily News. December 17, 2007. Retrieved 2010-02-10.