The Human Division
Cover of hardcover edition
|Cover artist||John Harris|
|Series||Old Man's War series|
|Genre||Science fiction novel|
|Media type||Digital (E-book)
Print (hardcover & paperback)
|Preceded by||Zoe's Tale|
|Followed by||The End of All Things|
The episode titles with the release dates in 2013 are as follows:
- The B-Team (15 January)
- Walk the Plank (22 January)
- We Only Need the Heads (29 January)
- A Voice in the Wilderness (5 February)
- Tales From the Clarke (12 February)
- The Back Channel (19 February)
- The Dog King (26 February)
- The Sound of Rebellion (5 March)
- The Observers (12 March)
- This Must Be the Place (19 March)
- A Problem of Proportion (26 March)
- The Gentle Art of Cracking Heads (2 April)
- Earth Below, Sky Above (9 April)
On May 14, 2013, the serial was collected into a full-length novel of the Old Man's War universe, plus it included the first tale of Lieutenant Harry Wilson, After the Coup, and a short story that was not part of the serialization, Hafte Sorvalh Eats a Churro and Speaks to the Youth of Today. This short story was released at Tor.com and After The Coup can be found there as well.
Following the events of The Last Colony, John Scalzi tells the story of the fight to maintain the unity of the human race.
The people of Earth now know that the human Colonial Union has kept them ignorant of the dangerous universe around them. For generations the CU had defended humanity against hostile aliens, deliberately keeping Earth an ignorant backwater and a source of military recruits. Now the CU's secrets are known to all. Other alien races have come on the scene and formed a new alliance against the Colonial Union called the Conclave. They have invited the people of Earth to join them. For a shaken and betrayed Earth, the choice isn't obvious or easy.
Against such possibilities, managing the survival of the Colonial Union will not be easy, either. It will take diplomatic finesse and political cunning: the "B-Team" advised by Lieutenant Harry Wilson.
As the story progresses, it deals with how humanity fares in a universe filled with other sentient races and without a military force to clash with them, since recruits from Earth were halted.
- "The Human Division". Powell's Books. 2013. Retrieved 2013-04-10.
- "The Human Division Episode Release Dates + Cover Art Reveals + More! | Whatever". Whatever.scalzi.com. 2012-12-06. Retrieved 2013-08-28.
- "On the Matter of the Extra Material in the Hardcover of The Human Division | Whatever". Whatever.scalzi.com. 2013-04-10. Retrieved 2013-08-28.
- "Download Two Free Extra Stories from John Scalzi's The Human Division". Tor.com. 2013-05-28. Retrieved 2013-08-28.
- Scalzi, John (2013). The Human Division. Tor Books. ISBN 978-0-7653-3351-3.
- "The Human Division, Episode Thirteen: Earth Below, Sky Above is Now Live + An Announcement About the Future | Whatever". Whatever.scalzi.com. 2013-04-09. Retrieved 2013-08-28.
- Cover Reveal: The End of All Things