The Hyderabad Public School, Ramanthapur
||It has been suggested that this article be merged with Hyderabad Public School. (Discuss) Proposed since September 2014.|
|The Hyderabad Public School, Ramanthapur|
|Number of students||1800+|
|Affiliation||Central Board of Secondary Education|
|Emblem||"Shaheen" - The Eagle|
|School Song||God Bless The School|
|School Magazine||"Jyotsna" (Annually)|
|School Newsletter||"Quest" (Quarterly)|
The school was established in 1972. It is a branch of Hyderabad Public School located at Begumpet. It has over 1800 students in grades 1 through 12; teaching is in English. The teacher student ratio is 1:22. The school is affiliated with the Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi. HPS is a member of Indian Public Schools’ Conference (IPSC). Admission into school is through a newly introduced draw of lots system.
The The Hyderabad Public School, Ramanthapur is an ethical, non-profitable, co-educational institution.
In 1972, The Hyderabad Public School Society realized the need for another public school. By resolution of the Board of Governors, the society decided to start a new unit. The Late Sri T.B.V. Subhramanyam was entrusted with the project and was appointed the founder principal. Thus a new unit of the Hyderabad Public School came into existence in a rented building at Panjagutta. Later, the Osmania University leased out 40 acres (160,000 m2) (+20 acres for conservation purpose) of land in at Ramanthapur and the school was shifted to its present site.
The school has nine main buildings: the administrative block (accommodates the Principal’s office), the accounts office and the clerical staff, a two storeyed main academic block, the Principal’s academic office, the Vice-Principal’s office, the staff room, the assembly hall, laboratories, workshop areas, activity rooms and class rooms.
The school is co-ed (since 1986). The boarding facilities are offered for boys only, with approximately 200 places for boarders.
There is a 25-bed dispensary, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Computer laboratories alongside a Mathematics lab.
There is a dining hall large enough for approximately 1000 students. The school library houses an excellent collection of over 10000 educational books & magazines, and they are now being digitalized.
- Junior Primary Wing (JPW) - Class 1 & 2
- Upper Primary Wing (UPW) - from Class 3 to 5
- High School - Classes 6 to 12
Each class has four sections A,B,C,D based on the choice of first language.
Sports and Extra-curricular activities
The school in a 65-acre (260,000 m2) closed campus has playgrounds for cricket, basketball, football, volleyball, badminton, kabaddi, tennis, tennikoit and table tennis .There is a children’s park near the primary wing and parallel bars adjacent to the boarding house.
Societies include the Science Club, the History Society, the Geography Society, the Debating Societies in English, Hindi and Telugu, the Quiz Contest Conclave and Gyaneshwar the Dramatics Society. The children function as the secretaries of the societies under the guidance of the teachers as chairman.
Investiture ceremony and Sports Day are held annually.
School Ceremonies and Traditions
- Annual Sports Day
- Children’s Day
- Cultural Day
- Independence Day
- Investiture Ceremony
- Model United Nations - HPSMUN
- Republic Day
- School Exhibition
- Teachers Day
The Hyderabad Public School is managed by the Hyderabad Public School Society through its Board of Governors. The Board of Governors comprises:
- Six elected representatives of the Hyderabad Public School Society
- The Vice Chancellor, Osmania University, Hyderabad
- The Vice Chancellor, Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad.
- Two Nominees of Education Department of Telangana State Government.
- The Principal, The Hyderabad Public School, Begumpet, Hyderabad.
- The Principal, The Hyderabad Public School, Ramanthapur, Hyderabad.
The Executive Body of the Managing Committee of H.P.S. Society also constitutes the Executive Body of the Board of Governors of H.P.S.
The House System
The student body is divided into four houses named after famous Empires:
Each house has a Captain & a Vice Captain, part of the Prefectorial team. They are guided by their respective House Masters. Few among the well experienced teachers are given with the responsibility.
The Prefectorial System
The Prefectorial system is a tradition of the School. A body of students is invested (in a grand Investiture Ceremony which includes, among other festivities, a parade) with its powers and privileges. The heads of the student body are the Head Boy and Head Girl.
- Shantanu Narayen; Chief Executive Officer, Adobe Systems
- Preetish Nijhawan; Co-founder of Akamai Technologies
- Prem Watsa; Chairman, CEO, Fairfax Financial Holdings, Canada
- Ravi Kailas; Chairman & CEO, Mytrah Energy
- Venkatapathy Raju; Cricketer
- Dhiraj Handa; SVP & General Manager, Spansion.
- Kamal Duggirala; CEO, Alpha Omega Financial Systems
- Dr.Tahseen Mirza; Deputy Office Director, Food and Drug Administration
- Rajiv Chilaka; Founder & MD, Green Gold Animation
- Dr. Srikanth Kommu; Senior Vice President & CTO, SunEdison
- Nerella Tejaswi Venumadhav; Scientist, NASA
- Ashhar Farhan; Founder, Lamakaan
- Praveen Tailam; Founder, Redtail Consulting, & President, TiE
- Ash Ashutosh; Founder & CEO, Actifio
- Ravi Mantha; Board of Trustees, TiE
- Sridhar Rao; Film Producer of the famous movie The Angrez
- Dr. Akhil Dadi; CMD, Srikara Hospitals
- Ajay Bhuyan; Film Director
- Nanditha Raj; Actress
- Anish Kuruvilla; Actor& Film Director