The Iceman Cometh (1973 film)
|The Iceman Cometh|
|Directed by||John Frankenheimer|
|Produced by||Ely A. Landau|
|Written by||Eugene O'Neill (play)
Thomas Quinn Curtiss (screenplay)
|Edited by||Harold F. Kress|
|Distributed by||American Film Theatre|
The Iceman Cometh is a 1973 film directed by John Frankenheimer. The screenplay was written by Thomas Quinn Curtiss, based on Eugene O'Neill's 1939 play of the same name. The film was screened at the 1976 Cannes Film Festival, but wasn't entered into the main competition.
- Lee Marvin – Theodore 'Hickey' Hickman
- Fredric March – Harry Hope
- Robert Ryan – Larry Slade
- Jeff Bridges – Don Parritt
- Bradford Dillman – Willie Oban
- Sorrell Booke – Hugo Kalmar
- Hildy Brooks – Margie
- Juno Dawson – Pearl (as Nancy Juno Dawson)
- Evans Evans – Cora
- Martyn Green – Cecil Lewis
- Moses Gunn – Joe Mott
- Clifton James – Pat McGloin
- John McLiam – Jimmy Tomorrow
- Stephen Pearlman – Chuck Morelo
- Tom Pedi – Rocky Pioggi
- George Voskovec – Piet Wetjoen
Frankenheimer later said:
We found the most difficult thing was to cut it. We cut one hour and 20 minutes out of the original, but by the time we'd finished it we'd put back in an hour. It was a marvelous movie - up til now (1974) my best experience. We were like a repertory company; we never wanted it to end. I tried to show Hickey as sane and not the way I've seen him interpreted, as insane. I think you have to live your life without illusions, not with them. Pauline Kael said in her review that you only have to look at photos of O'Neill to see this was a face with no illusions.
- Robert Ryan won a Kansas City Film Critics Circle Award for Best Supporting Actor, National Board of Review Award for Best Actor and a Special Award from the National Society of Film Critics for his performance as Larry Slade.
- Associate producer – Les Landau
- Supervising producer – Robert A. Goldston
- Casting – Lynn Stalmaster
- Production Design – Jack Martin Smith
- Set Decoration – Raphael Bretton
- Costume Design – Dorothy Jeakins
- Production executive – Jonathan Burrows
- Kilday, G. (1973, Oct 21). Movies. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/157474126?accountid=13902
- "Festival de Cannes: The Iceman Cometh". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-05-10.
- Fathering a 'Connection' Offspring Blume, Mary. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 01 Sep 1974: m20.
- The Iceman Cometh at the Internet Movie Database
- The Iceman Cometh at Rotten Tomatoes
- The Iceman Cometh at AllMovie