The Imaginarium Studios
|Headquarters||Ealing, London, United Kingdom|
The Imaginarium Studios is a performance capture studio based in London, founded by actor-director Andy Serkis and producer Jonathan Cavendish in 2011. The studio specialises in applying motion capture technology in film, television and video games. Since 2011, it has provided performance capture for international films including Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011), Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) and Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens (2015).
Serkis first became interested in "cyber-thespianism" when he first worked with Peter Jackson at his Weta Workshop in New Zealand for The Lord of the Rings trilogy and King Kong (2005). Serkis stated, "People come out of film schools not equipped with the skills for doing anything other than shooting kitchen sink dramas. We need to change our mindset, cross-fertilise our talent and encourage writers, directors and producers to think on a much larger scale."
Serkis partnered with Cavendish in 2009, opening The Imaginarium officially in 2011 after securing a permanent place at Ealing Studios in London. In January 2012 the studio signed an agreement with Vicon, the world's largest supplier of precision motion tracking systems.
In May 2017 The Imaginarium Studios was subject to a management buyout having lost £4.2 million over the proceeding two years. The restructure was cited as being due to the cancellation of a project, Animal Farm.
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)
- Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
- Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens (2015)
- "The Imaginarium". Retrieved 5 October 2012.
- "Andy Serkis plans UK motion-capture studio". 23 April 2010. Retrieved 5 October 2012.
- "Andy Serkis Talks Imaginarium Project at Cannes". 13 May 2010. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- "Andy Serkis' Imaginarium Studios to restructure with management buy-out". 8 May 2017. Retrieved 27 May 2017.
- "Wikipedia edit by an ip that at the time resolved to theimaginariumstudios.com". 18 May 2017. Retrieved 27 May 2017.