The Imaginarium, also known as Imaginarium Productions, is a production company linked to a digital performance-capture studio based in London, founded by actor-director Andy Serkis and film producer Jonathan Cavendish in 2011. The studio is dedicated to the invention of believable, emotionally engaging digital characters using performance capture technology. It specialises in applying motion capture technology in film, television and video games. Since 2011, it has provided performance capture for international films including Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011), Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015), and Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens (2015).
Serkis first became interested in "cyber-thespianism" when he worked with Peter Jackson at his Weta Workshop in New Zealand for The Lord of the Rings trilogy and King Kong (2005). Serkis stated, "People come out of film schools not equipped with the skills for doing anything other than shooting kitchen sink dramas. We need to change our mindset, cross-fertilise our talent and encourage writers, directors and producers to think on a much larger scale."
Serkis partnered with Cavendish in 2009, opening The Imaginarium officially in 2011 after securing a permanent place at Ealing Studios in London. In January 2012 the studio signed an agreement with Vicon, the world's largest supplier of precision motion tracking systems.
In May 2017, The Imaginarium Studios was subject to a management buyout having lost £4.2 million over the preceding two years.
The first feature film produced by The Imaginarium, Breathe, directed by Andy Serkis and starring Andrew Garfield, Claire Foy, Tom Hollander, and Hugh Bonneville, will be the opening night gala presentation of the 2017 BFI London Film Festival.
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)
- Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
- Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens (2015)
- War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)
- Breathe (2017; production studio)
- The Ritual (2017; production studio)
- Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)
- Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle (2018; production studio)
- Animal Farm (TBA)
- Battlefield 1 (2016)
- Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (2017)
- Planet of the Apes: Last Frontier (2017)
- Star Citizen (TBA)
- "The Imaginarium". Retrieved 5 October 2012.
- "Andy Serkis plans UK motion-capture studio". 23 April 2010. Retrieved 5 October 2012.
- "Andy Serkis Talks Imaginarium Project at Cannes". 13 May 2010. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- "Andy Serkis: from Gollum to studio boss". Financial Times. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- Barton, Seth (8 May 2017). "Andy Serkis' Imaginarium Studios to restructure with management buy-out". MCV. Retrieved 6 July 2018.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (29 June 2017). "'Breathe' Trailer: Andy Serkis-Helmed Pic Starring Andrew Garfield & Claire Foy To Open London Film Festival". Deadline. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- Lambie, Ryan (12 July 2017). "Andy Serkis interview: War For The Planet Of The Apes". Den of Geek. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "Tech comes to The Tempest in new RSC production". Creative Review. 18 November 2016. Retrieved 7 September 2017.