The Imagineering Story
|The Imagineering Story|
|Created by||Leslie Iwerks|
|Written by||Mark Catalena|
|Directed by||Leslie Iwerks|
|Narrated by||Angela Bassett|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||6 (list of episodes)|
|Producer||Michael E. Tang|
|Production company||Iwerks & Co.|
|Distributor||Disney Media Distribution|
|Original release||November 12 –|
December 13, 2019
The Imagineering Story is a 2019 documentary streaming television miniseries created, directed and executive produced by Leslie Iwerks. The series is focused on Walt Disney Imagineering and takes an in depth-look at the history and creation of the Disney theme parks and attractions around the world. The series premiered on Disney+ at the launch date of November 12, 2019.
Originally announced as a feature documentary in 2013, The Walt Disney Company CEO Bob Iger announced that the film was being revamped as a series of six one-hour episodes for the upcoming Disney+ streaming service. In April 2019, the series was formally announced. In August 2019, it was announced that Angela Bassett will be narrating the series.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||"The Happiest Place on Earth"||Leslie Iwerks||Mark Catalena||November 12, 2019|
|Focuses on the creation and evolution of Disneyland and its attractions up until Walt Disney's death, as well as Imagineering's involvement with the 1964 New York World's Fair.|
|2||"What Would Walt Do?"||Leslie Iwerks||Mark Catalena||November 15, 2019|
|Topics covered include Roy Disney's supervision over the construction and opening of Walt Disney World and Magic Kingdom, the subsequent conception of Epcot Center, and the first international expansion with Tokyo Disneyland.|
|3||"The Midas Touch"||Leslie Iwerks||Mark Catalena||November 22, 2019|
|Topics covered include Michael Eisner and Frank Wells' takeover of Disney, the addition of Disney-MGM Studios, the building and initial failure of Euro Disneyland, and Wells' death.|
|4||"Hit or Miss"||Leslie Iwerks||Mark Catalena||November 29, 2019|
|Topics covered include the success of Disney Cruise Line, Disney's Animal Kingdom, and Tokyo DisneySea (with inputs from Wing Chao); the unrealized projects of Disney's America and WestCOT; and the failures of Disney's California Adventure, Walt Disney Studios Park, and Hong Kong Disneyland.|
|5||"A Carousel of Progress"||Leslie Iwerks||Mark Catalena||December 6, 2019|
|Topics covered include Bob Iger stepping in as CEO, the overhaul of California Adventure, the creation of Cars Land, the revamping of Disney attractions such as Haunted Mansion Holiday, adding Jack Sparrow to Pirates of the Caribbean, and the initial outcry of the addition of Disney characters to the Disneyland version of "It's a Small World", the creation of Mystic Manor, Ratatouille: L'Aventure Totalement Toquée de Rémy, and the announcement of Shanghai Disneyland.|
|6||"To Infinity and Beyond"||Leslie Iwerks||Mark Catalena||December 13, 2019|
|Topics range from the groundbreaking of Shanghai Disneyland, Pandora – The World of Avatar, Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout!, Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge and future upcoming projects.|
The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported a 100% approval rating for the series with an average rating of 6.84/10, based on 13 reviews. Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned a score of 62 out of 100 based on 7 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
Common Sense Media rated the documentary 3 out of 5 stars, stating : "The Imagineering Story is a documentary series about the creative teams that conceptualize, design, and build Disney theme parks and their best attractions. It highlights the importance of pushing boundaries and being creative, and the role of STEAM principles in this process (although it's not specifically discussed)".
|2020||Primetime Emmy Awards||Outstanding Narrator||Angela Bassett ("The Happiest Place on Earth")||Nominated|||
|Online Film & Television Association TV Awards||Best Voice-Over Performance in a Animated Program||Angela Bassett||Nominated|||
- "Disney Original Show Reviews". DTCI Media. Retrieved November 7, 2019.
- "The Imagineering Story Media Kit". DTCI Media. Retrieved October 17, 2019.
- "Trailer For Leslie Iwerks' Documentary About Walt Disney Imagineering". DTCI Media. Retrieved October 17, 2019.
- "Walt Disney Imagineering TV Show Heading to Disney+". Slashfilm. Retrieved October 17, 2019.
- "Angela Bassett to Narrate Disney+ Docuseries 'The Imagineering Story' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 17, 2019.
- Yamanaka, Jeanine (November 11, 2019). "Review: Disney+ Originals: "The Imagineering Story"". AllEars.net. Retrieved November 11, 2019.
- "The Imagineering Story – Media Kit". Disney Direct-to-Consumer & International Media Center. Retrieved November 20, 2019.
- "Details Revealed on 'The Imagineering Story' Documentary Coming to Disney+". io9.gizmodo.com. April 11, 2019. Retrieved April 11, 2019.
- "The Imagineering Story: Season 1 (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved August 3, 2020.
- "The Imagineering Story – TV Show Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved November 30, 2019.
- "The Imagineering Story - TV Review". www.commonsensemedia.org. May 11, 2020. Retrieved November 24, 2020.
- Low, Elaine (July 28, 2020). "'The Mandalorian,' 'Morning Show' Bust New Streamers Into Emmys Race". Variety. Retrieved July 28, 2020.
- "24th Annual TV Awards (2019-20) - Online Film & Television Association". Retrieved November 24, 2020.
- "Online Film & Television Association (2020)". IMDb. Retrieved November 24, 2020.