The Improper Bostonian
Camille Kostek on the cover for the Oct/Nov 2018 Wedding Issue
|Publisher||Wendy Semonian Eppich (2003–2019)|
|First issue||August 1991|
|Final issue||April 24, 2019|
|Company||Improper Publications, Inc.|
|Website||The Improper Bostonian|
The magazine came out bi-weekly and reported on the area trends in a young and entertaining way. The magazine was a staple in Greater Boston, distributed free at kiosks within city limits, and available via a $29.95 annual subscription to people living outside the municipality. The magazine covered music, theater, sports, fashion, personals, shopping and local events. The magazine also held or sponsored events in the city ranging from balls to benefits for the homeless and children.
When it was first published, it was a newsprint tabloid and—via several upgrades—it changed format to a glossy. The Improper Bostonian was founded by Mark Semonian in 1991. His sister, Wendy Semonian Eppich, succeeded him as publisher in 2003. The publication was owned and operated by the Semonian family from its inception.
In 2019, it has been distributed to 274 newsboxes and 600 other locations around Greater Boston, including colleges and restaurants, with the magazine being delivered to 13,000 homes reaching 350,000 readers each year.
On the magazine ceasing its publication in 2019, Eppich stated "I think The Improper has become a part of the fabric of the city... I think we brought some fun to the city for 28 years".
- "Subscriptions". Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- Sweeney, Emily (April 25, 2019). "The Improper Bostonian announces it will close Thursday". The Boston Globe. Retrieved April 25, 2019.
- "Current Issue". improper.com. Retrieved April 25, 2019.
- "Media Kit 2016" (PDF). improper.com.
- Buja, Melissa. "The Improper Bostonian Shuts Down After 28 Years". NBC10 Boston. Retrieved 2019-04-25.
- Eppich, Wendy Semonian (2019-04-25). "An Improper Farewell | Improper Bostonian". www.improper.com. Retrieved 2019-04-25.
- "The Improper Bostonian". Improper Bostonian. Archived from the original on September 11, 2007. Retrieved February 29, 2008.
- "Improper Events". Improper Bostonian. Retrieved February 29, 2008.
- Fisher, Jenna (April 25, 2019). "The Improper Bostonian Magazine To Stop Publishing". patch.com. Retrieved April 25, 2019.
- Seiffert, Don. "Improper Bostonian magazine says it's shutting down after 28 years". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2019-04-25.
- "The Improper Bostonian Is No More". Boston Magazine. 2019-04-25. Retrieved 2019-05-17.