The Improverts is a long-running improvisational comedy troupe put on since its inception by the Edinburgh University Theatre Company which primarily performs at the Bedlam Theatre, Edinburgh. They perform every Friday night at 10.30 pm during Edinburgh University's term time and every night during the Edinburgh Festival Fringe at half past midnight.
They are notable for being, at 27 years, the Edinburgh Fringe's longest running improvisation show. Their trademark fast-paced short-form games and slapping of the stage have since been adopted by similar student groups around the UK.
The Edinburgh University Theatre Company's improvised comedy troupe now known as The Improverts was founded in Edinburgh in 1989 by Canadian-born Toph Marshall. He named it Theatresports after the form of competitive improvisation developed by director Keith Johnstone in Calgary, Canada in 1976. As the show grew in popularity the name was changed, during the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, (for copyright reasons) to Impro-Vegetables and then finally, in the 90s, to The Improverts. The Improverts was adopted as a permanent, year-round name from September 1997 onwards.
Since the show's inception it has kept the Bedlam Theatre as its primary performance space, running weekly during Edinburgh University's term time and then at the Edinburgh Fringe. Each year new players are recruited largely, though not exclusively, from the student population though every player must be a member of the Edinburgh University Theatre Company. The troupe provides free weekly workshops in improvisation for the general public in order to attract new talent to the group. 
The Improverts have sold out every one of their fringe shows since 2006 and remain a reliable draw for Bedlam Theatre during its Fringe period.
During term time, the Improverts play on Fridays at Bedlam Theatre at 10.30pm, and hold weekly free improvisation workshops for the general public. Every Friday, the show also features open theatre tech workshops allowing young technicians to learn and improvise with the players.
Notable alumni of the Improverts
- Maria Bamford (Arrested Development, The Comedians of Comedy)
- Mitch Benn (The Now Show, Mitch Benn's Crimes Against Music)
- Peter Cameron (Enola, Last Flight)
- Jenny Colgan (Amanda's Wedding, Looking for Andrew McCarthy, West End Girls)
- Mark Dolan (Balls of Steel)
- Miles Jupp (Rev, Miles Jupp's Real World)
- Humphrey Ker (The Brothers Faversham, Fast and Loose)
- Lucy Kirkwood (Chimerica, Tinderbox)
- Ewen MacIntosh (The Office)
- Kevin McKidd (Trainspotting, Dog Soldiers, Rome)
- David Reed (The Brothers Faversham, It's Kevin)
- Al Smith (Enola, The Cut)
- Thom Tuck (The Brothers Faversham)
- Freya Slipper & Liz Black (Thankless Child), Winners of Funny Women 2010