The Incredible Dr. Pol
|The Incredible Dr. Pol|
|Created by||Jon Schroder|
|Developed by||Charles Pol|
|Narrated by||Ari Rubin|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||16|
|No. of episodes||173 (October 2019)|
|Production location(s)||Weidman, Michigan|
|Running time||44–50 minutes|
|Original network||Nat Geo Wild|
The Incredible Dr. Pol is an American reality television show on Nat Geo Wild that follows Dutch-born veterinarian Jan Pol and his family and employees at his practice in rural Weidman, Michigan. The series premiered in 2011 and has two seasons every year, for a total of 16 through October 2019.
Jan-Harm Pol was born on 4 September 1942, in Wateren, the Netherlands, where he was raised on his family's dairy farm. He studied veterinary medicine at Utrecht University, graduating in 1970. He and his wife Diane relocated to Harbor Beach, Michigan, where Pol worked for another veterinarian for more than 10 years. They then moved to Weidman, Michigan, where they started their own practice, Pol Veterinary Services, out of their home in 1981. Pol is color blind, unable to accurately distinguish the colors green and brown.
In April 2015, regulators in Michigan found Pol negligent in his treatment of a dog struck by a car in May 2011. A disciplinary subcommittee of the Michigan Board of Veterinary Medicine voted on March 26 to fine Pol $500 and put his license on probation for violating minimal standards of care in his treatment of a Boston terrier that sustained an eye proptosis and broken pelvis. Pol was also mandated to complete continuing-education courses. However, these disciplinary actions and the decision were overturned by the Michigan Court of Appeals, which noted that the dog's owners were happy with the care it received and called the initial ruling "arbitrary and capricious".
Diane Pol was born in Mayville, Michigan, in 1943, and met Jan Pol when he was a foreign exchange student at Mayville High School in 1961, during her senior year. She has a master's degree in Special Reading and used to be a teacher at Harbor Beach Elementary Schools. Diane and Jan have been married for 50 years.
Charles Pol is the family's youngest child and only son. He pitched the show to the National Geographic channel and became one of its producers. Born and raised in Central Michigan's farm country, Charles was his father's constant sidekick as a child. Starting at the age of five, he began assisting his father at the clinic, helping out on farm calls, and in charge of caring for the Pol family's vast array of pets and farm animals.
Though Charles enjoyed working with animals, he knew from an early age he did not want to follow in his father's footsteps, and his parents encouraged him to pursue a career he would love. In 2003, he graduated from the University of Miami in Florida. He was an intern for the late Sydney Pollack. Charles became engaged to his girlfriend Beth Oakes in 2018, they got married in April. They are expecting their first child in October 2019.
All of the Pol children are adopted, daughter Kathy and son Charles at birth and daughter Diane at age 18, after having been the Pols' foster child for ten years.
Brenda Grettenberger was born in Eaton Rapids, Michigan, in 1967. After graduating from Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine in 1992, Grettenberger began working at Pol Veterinary Services. At the time, the majority of the business at Pol Veterinary Services was large animal medicine, and Grettenberger says it took time for some of the older farmers to adjust to having a female veterinarian. Though she did win the farmers over, the number of the dairy farms in the area began to decline, and she began to treat more small animals.
Emily Thomas was born in 1984 in Warner Robins, Georgia. She graduated from the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine in 2010, where she completed an internship in large animal field services and spent time studying equine reproduction. She then worked at a small private practice in Newberry, South Carolina, before making the move to Pol Veterinary Services. She married her high school sweetheart Tony in 2007; they have three children together. She left the show in 2019 and now practices at a clinic in Front Royal, Virginia.
- Zimlich, Rachael (November 1, 2011). "The Incredible Dr. Pol". DVM360 Magazine. Retrieved 22 January 2017.
- James, Katie (July 1, 2016). "Michigan appeals court finds in favor of Dr. Pol. Overturns disciplinary action ordered by state regulatory board in relation to negligence, incompetence findings". Veterinary News. Retrieved October 18, 2017.
- "Full Episode Guide". The Incredible Dr. Pol. Weidman, Michigan. Retrieved 16 July 2019.
S1.E1: Oct 29, 2011 ... S15.E1: Jul 13, 2019
- Dr. Jan Pol verified Twitter account [@drpol] (4 September 2018). "On this date in 1942, Dr. Pol was born in Wateren, The Netherlands" (Tweet). Archived from the original on 7 April 2019. Retrieved 7 April 2019 – via Twitter.
- "Meet the Pol Team-Dr.Pol". National Geographic TV network. 19 July 2012. Retrieved 22 January 2017.
- Meet Dr.Pol - website Santee School District (pdf)
- Zimlich., Rachael. "Some reviews of 'The Incredible Dr. Pol' reality show not so incredible". Veterinary News. Retrieved 22 January 2017.
- "Facts vet and Wild". 29 September 2011. Retrieved 28 April 2017.
- Arnold, Carrie (28 February 2014). "Q&A: The Real Story of 'The Incredible Dr. Pol'". Retrieved 26 December 2017.
- "Meet the Pol Team– Dr.Brenda". 19 July 2012. Retrieved 28 April 2017.