|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Simon Indelicate (left) and Julia Indelicate (right)
|Genres||Indie rock, indie pop|
|Labels||Sad Gnome Records
|Past members||Laurence Owen
Jack James Stone
Ed van Beinum
The Indelicates are a Sussex-based English indie rock band. Formed in 2005 by Julia Indelicate and Simon Indelicate, the band currently consists of Julia and Simon, Alastair Clayton, Nick Kos, Emma-Ben Lewis and Louisa Wood. They have released six albums.
The Indelicates formed in late 2005, six months after Julia Indelicate left her former band, The Pipettes. The Indelicates initially consisted solely of Julia and Simon Indelicate. Soon Ed van Beinum, Kate Newberry and Al Clayton were recruited to add to the band's live sound.
Their début single, We Hate the Kids, was released on Sad Gnome Records in July 2006, receiving positive reviews in NME, Rolling Stone and New Statesman. Their follow-up single, Julia, We Don't Live in the 60s, was released in July 2007 - their first to be widely distributed around the UK. The last single to precede the album release was Sixteen, released in October 2007.
Their début album, American Demo, was released to the UK on Weekender Records on 14 April 2008. In July 2009 The Indelicates published their first collection of lyrics and poems - Words by Simon & Julia Indelicate.
In April 2010 their second album Songs For Swinging Lovers was released via the Corporate Records site in the UK, USA, and all other major territories, and on Snowhite Records in Germany. A physical release followed in June 2010. The album received praise from US/UK author Neil Gaiman and was reviewed by actor Jack Black in Germany's Intro Magazine. The Indelicates released official videos for five of the eleven songs on the album. Their April/May 2008 tour of Germany and Austria was the subject of a ten-part documentary series entitled Chopz on Tour.
From mid-2010 onwards The Indelicates began recording a concept album based on David Koresh and the Waco Siege entitled David Koresh Superstar. The UK cast includes performances from Carter USM's Jim Bob, David Devant and his Spirit Wife's Vessel and Radio favourite Philip Jeays. The album was released in the UK on 16 May 2011, and re-released in the US, with additional material, in October 2011, to coincide with The Indelicates first US tour.
In May 2013 their fourth album, Diseases of England, was released following a successful pre-sales funding campaign on Kickstarter. Tracks on the album were released to fans who had pledged money in three parts over the six months preceding general release.
Their fifth album, Elevator Music, was released in 2015, with an initial digital release to followed by a multi-format physical release. Two singles were released from this, "That Generation That Nobody Remembered", backed with a virtual reality music video for the Oculus Rift; and "Beyond the Radio Horizon", the video for which used YouTube's new 360 degree functionality.
The band released sixth album, Juniverbrecher, digitally on July 23, 2017, the anniversary of the Brexit referendum, described by the band to be about banishing the "Jimmy Savile/Mr. Punch/Brexit" demon. A physical release will follow in October.
- Simon Indelicate – lead vocals, lead guitar
- Julia Indelicate – lead vocals, keyboards
- Al Clayton – rhythm guitar
- Nick Kos – bass
- Emma-Ben Lewis – drums
- Louisa Wood – violin
- American Demo - Weekender Records - April 2008
- Songs for Swinging Lovers - Corporate Records - April 2010
- David Koresh Superstar - Corporate Records - May 2011
- Diseases of England - Corporate Records - 2013
- Elevator Music - Corporate Records - 2015
- Juniverbrecher - Corporate Records - 2017
- "We Hate The Kids" - Sad Gnome Records - July 2006
- "Julia, We Don't Live in the '60s" - Weekender Records - July 2007
- "Sixteen" - Weekender Records - October 2007
- "America" - Weekender Records - March 2008
- "The Recession Song" - Corporate Records - February 2009
- "Something Going Down in Waco" - Corporate Records - 2011
- "I Am Koresh" - Corporate Records - 2011
- "The Generation That Nobody Remembered" - November 2014
- "Beyond the Radio Horizon" - August 2015
- "Top of the Pops" - June 2017
- "The Last Significant Statement To Be Made in Rock'n'Roll" - Sad Gnome Records - February 2007
- The Indelicates press release
- The Indelicates Blog
- Chopz On Tour
- "Elevator Music – The New Indelicates Album – Out Now". The Indelicates. Retrieved 9 October 2016.