|Publisher(s)||Sony Interactive Entertainment|
|Engine||Unreal Engine 4|
The Inpatient is a psychological horror video game developed by Supermassive Games and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment for PlayStation 4 and its virtual reality headset PlayStation VR. The game was released in January 2018.
The Inpatient is a survival horror game played from a first-person perspective. The player controls a patient suffering from amnesia within the Blackwood Sanatorium, and intent on reclaiming their memories. The player character's entire body is visible, should the player gaze down with the PlayStation VR headset. Non-player characters are caused to react via voice recognition. The outcome of the story is entirely consequent upon the decisions that are made.
The developer of The Inpatient is Supermassive Games, who uses the Unreal Engine 4 in its creation. The game acts as a prequel to 2015's Until Dawn, set inside the Blackwood Sanatorium sixty years prior to the events of the original. Nik Bowen, Graham Reznick and Larry Fessenden returned as director and writers, respectively. In order to subconsciously draw players into the story, Supermassive Games employed elements of psychological horror, which included them rendering three-dimensional binaural audio to supplement the visuals.
It was announced with a teaser trailer at E3 2017, set to be released as a PlayStation 4 exclusive with support for PlayStation VR on 21 November 2017 in North America and 22 November in Europe. It was later delayed to 23 January 2018 in North America and 24 January in Europe.
The Inpatient received polarizing reviews from professional gaming critics, earning a "mixed or average" score of 59 on review aggregation website Metacritic based on 55 reviews. Common praise was aimed at the game's presentation and atmosphere, while the game's slow pace and a lack of diversity in gameplay was often cited as a negative.
The game was nominated for "Sound Design" at the 2018 Develop Awards, for "Best Audio Design" and "Visual Design" at The Independent Game Developers' Association Awards 2018, and for "Control Design, VR", "Direction in Virtual Reality", and "Sound Mixing in Virtual Reality" at the National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers Awards.
- Romano, Sal (12 June 2017). "Sony and Supermassive Games announce The Inpatient for PlayStation VR". Gematsu.
- Bowen, Nik (12 June 2017). "The Inpatient Announced for PS VR, Set 60 Years Before Until Dawn". PlayStation Blog. Sony Interactive Entertainment.
- Carter, Chris (12 June 2017). "Until Dawn developer is working on the unsettling, VR 'Inpatient'". Destructoid. ModernMethod.
- Kayser, Daniel (23 June 2017). "Unreal Engine Developers Were Everywhere at E3 2017". Unreal Engine.
- Hardawar, Devindra (13 June 2017). "'The Inpatient' takes you into a mental asylum on PlayStation VR". Engadget. AOL.
- Harris, Simon (29 August 2017). "The Inpatient, Bravo Team Release Dates Confirmed for Later This Year". PlayStation Blog.
- Harris, Simon (29 August 2017). "The Inpatient and Bravo Team release dates announced for PS VR". PlayStation Blog.
- Espineli, Matt (23 January 2018). "All The PS4, Xbox One, Switch, And PC Game Release Dates In Jan 2018". GameSpot.
- PlayStation Europe (10 November 2017). "The release dates for #PlayStationVR titles The Inpatient and Bravo Team have moved". Twitter.
- "The Inpatient for PlayStation 4 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- Carter, Chris (23 January 2018). "Review: The Inpatient". Destructoid. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- Favis, Elise (22 January 2018). "The Inpatient Reviews". Game Informer. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- Clark, Justin (23 January 2018). "The Inpatient Review". GameSpot. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- Loveridge, Sam (23 January 2018). "THE INPATIENT REVIEW: "IT'S ALL UTTERLY BRILLIANT; TERRIFYINGLY SO"". GamesRadar. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- MCV staff (21 May 2018). "Announcing the Develop Awards 2018 nominations shortlist". MCV.
- Stephenson, Suzi (19 September 2018). "TIGA Announces Games Industry Awards 2018 Finalists". The Independent Game Developers' Association. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "2018 Winners". The Independent Game Developers' Association. 1 November 2018. Retrieved 2 November 2018.
- "Nominee List for 2018". National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers. 11 February 2019. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: The Inpatient|