The Institute (novel)
First edition U.S. cover
|Audio read by||Santino Fontana|
|Genre||Horror thriller, science fiction|
|Published||September 10, 2019|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover)|
In suburban Minneapolis, intruders silently murder twelve-year-old Luke Ellis's parents and kidnap him. He wakes up in a room identical to his own at The Institute, a facility located deep in the woods of Maine.
At The Institute are other kidnapped kids with special talents—telekinesis and telepathy—who live in rooms of their own. Nick, George, Iris, and ten-year-old Avery Dixon are all in Front Half while others graduated to Back Half. Mrs. Sigsby, the institute's director, and her staff are dedicated to extracting the special talents from the children. As each new victim disappears to Back Half, Luke becomes more and more desperate to get out and get help.
The review aggregator website Book Marks reported that 36% of critics gave the novel a "rave" review, 48% of the critics expressed "positive" impressions, and 16% gave mixed reviews, based on a sample of 25 reviews.
Publishers Weekly gave the novel a rave review, writing, "King wows with the most gut-wrenching tale of kids triumphing over evil since It [...] Tapping into the minds of the young characters, King creates a sense of menace and intimacy that will have readers spellbound [...] Not a word is wasted in this meticulously crafted novel, which once again proves why King is the king of horror."
Booklist's Carl Hays praised the novel, saying, "King devotees will, of course, devour this latest suspenseful page-turner, but any reader looking for a smart thriller about an unusual black ops organization will find this compelling and rewarding. With his usual blend of plot twists and vividly drawn characters, King remains at the top of his game."
- "The Institute: A Novel by Stephen King, read by Santino Fontana". Simon & Schuster. Retrieved October 10, 2019.
- "StephenKing.com - The Institute". www.stephenking.com.
- Dugdale, John (August 25, 2019). "The Institute by Stephen King review — the author is now too versatile to be pigeonholed". The Sunday Times.
- Marshall, Maddy (February 12, 2019). "Announcing the new novel from Stephen King: The Institute". Hodderscape.
- "The Institute". Simon & Schuster. September 10, 2019.
- "The Institute by Stephen King". Kirkus Reviews. August 4, 2019.
- "The Institute". Book Marks. Retrieved September 11, 2019.
- "Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror Book Review: The Institute by Stephen King". Publishers Weekly. June 21, 2019.
- Hays, Carl. "Institute, by Stephen King". Booklist Online.
- Petski, Denise (September 10, 2019). "David E. Kelley, Jack Bender Developing Stephen King’s ‘The Institute’ As Limited Series." Deadline.com. Retrieved September 29, 2019.