The Invisible Man (Queen song)
|"The Invisible Man"|
|Single by Queen|
|from the album The Miracle|
|B-side||"Hijack My Heart"|
|Released||7 August 1989|
|Queen singles chronology|
"The Invisible Man" is a song by the British rock band Queen, written by drummer Roger Taylor. The song is sung mostly by Freddie Mercury, with vocal contributions from Taylor. Originally released on the album The Miracle, it was released as a single in 1989. Taylor claims that he got the inspiration to create the song while reading a book (possibly the book of the same name), and the bassline instantly came to his head. This song marks the only time in any of Queen's songs that all four band members names are mentioned in the lyrics. The first being Freddie Mercury, followed by John Deacon. Brian May's name is then mentioned twice (just before his guitar solo starts), and lastly Mercury sings "RRRoger Taylor", rolling the "r" to emulate the drums at the end of the verse. Freddie Mercury's name is said by drummer Roger Taylor, and the other ones by the lead singer Freddie Mercury.
In the music video, a video game called "The Invisible Man" plays a large part, as a small child is playing a game while the band (all dressed in black), who are the "bad guys" in the game, enter the real world and perform the song in his room, while the boy is trying to shoot them with the game controller. From time to time, Mercury appears in various places in the child's room, vanishing before the boy can shoot him with the video controller. After Mercury emerges from the child's closet with his band in tow, John Deacon removes his cowboy hat and throws it to the floor. In perhaps a futile attempt to emulate him, the boy removes his baseball cap, and dons the other. The screen then shows an image of the band in the game once more, Deacon without a hat, and the child walks underneath them.
|Dutch Singles Chart||6||12|
|German Singles Chart||31||12|
|Irish Singles Chart||10||3|
|Italian Singles Chart||21||?|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||15||9|
|Swiss Singles Chart||30||1|
|UK Singles Chart||12||6|
- Freddie Mercury - lead vocals
- Brian May - electric guitar
- Roger Taylor - lead and backing vocals, drums, keyboards, rhythm guitar
- John Deacon - bass guitar, rhythm guitar
- David Richards - keyboards
Covers and influence
- A cover of the song has been done by Scatman John, in which many of the lyrics and instrumentals are replaced with scat singing.
- The Chipettes covered this song with David Guetta and Swedish House Mafia on Bear Got Your Brain.
- Interview with Butch Hartman, March 30th 2006 at the Wayback Machine (archived January 2, 2008)