The Irish News
|Format||Originally Broadsheet, then Berliner but Compact since 2005|
|Founder(s)||Bishop Patrick MacAlister|
|Founded||15 August 1891|
(with Liberal Unionist columnists)
|Headquarters||113–117 Donegall Street|
Belfast, Northern Ireland
The Irish News is a compact daily newspaper based in Belfast, Northern Ireland. It is Northern Ireland's largest selling morning newspaper and is available throughout Ireland. It is broadly Irish nationalist in its viewpoint, though it also features unionist columnists.
The Irish News is the only independently owned daily newspaper based in Northern Ireland, and has been so since its launch on 15 August 1891 as an anti-Parnell newspaper by Patrick MacAlister. It merged with the Belfast Morning News in August 1892, and the full title of the paper has since been The Irish News and Belfast Morning News. T.P. Campbell was editor from 1895 until 1906 when he was succeeded by Tim McCarthy who served as editor until 1928. Appointed in 1999, Noel Doran is the current editor.
The Irish News saw a dramatic growth in its circulation with the beginning of The Troubles in 1969; this peaked around the time of the peak in violence in 1971, and declined thereafter.
|Year (period)||Average circulation per issue|
|2002 (June to December)|
|2007 (January to June)|
|2008 (January to June)|
|2011 (July to December)|
|2013 (January to June)|
|2017 (July to December)|
|2018 (July to December)|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Irish News.|
- "Irish News Morning July to December 2018" (PDF). ABC.
- "About the Irish News". The Irish News.
- Ambrose Macaulay. Patrick McAlister Bishop of Down and Connor 1886-1895. Four Courts Press Ltd, Dublin, Ireland 2006
- "Belfast Morning News". National Library of Ireland.
- "Irish News". National Library of Ireland.
- "Jim Fitzpatrick". The Irish Times. 20 October 1997.(subscription required)
- "Northern Ireland: Will the press still flourish in peacetime?". Press Gazette. 11 May 2006. Retrieved 18 August 2020.
- "Circulation of 'Irish Times' increases". The Irish Times. 22 August 2008. Retrieved 18 August 2020.(subscription required)
- Meban, Alan (1 March 2012). "Dead tree circulation continues to decline – Belfast Telegraph dropping at nearly twice rate of News Letter & Irish News". Slugger O'Toole.
- Cunningham, Simon (23 August 2013). "Irish News comes out tops in latest circulation". The Irish News.(subscription required)
- Linford, Paul (14 March 2018). "JP dailies post circulation rises as ABC figures unveiled". HoldTheFrontPage. Retrieved 18 August 2020.