The Irony of Fate 2
|The Irony of Fate 2|
|Directed by||Timur Bekmambetov|
|Produced by||Anatoli Maksimov|
|Edited by||Dmitry Kiselyov|
|Distributed by||Russia Channel One, Bazelevs Company and Mosfilm|
The Irony of Fate 2 or The Irony of Fate: Continuation (Russian: Ирония Судьбы. Продолжение; Ironiya sud’by. Prodolzheniye) is a 2007 Russian romantic comedy film directed by Timur Bekmambetov based on a screenplay by Aleksey Slapovsky produced by Channel One and released by Mosfilm. It is a direct sequel of the first The Irony of Fate.
It was originally rumored to be put in production in a press release, dedicated to the original movie's 30th anniversary in 2005.
Irony of Fate earned $55,000,000 in total from its gross box-office release, with $49,000,000 coming from the Russian box-office alone.
The characters from the first film now have children who have managed to get into the same situation as their parents many years ago. However, the story is not simply a remake of the original movie. All of the adventures in the previous film were accidental, but here everything is done according to a plan thought up by Pavlik, a friend of Evgeniy Lukashin.
Pavlik's idea is to help his friend Evgeniy with his loneliness so he dispatches Lukashin's son to St. Petersburg, where he acts in the same manner as his father 30 years ago. In flat 12, he meets Nadezhda, who is actually the daughter of Nadezhda from the first film. She has a fiancé called Irakliy, a businessman. Kostantin's task is to lure Irakliy away from the flat and then wait for Nadezhda's mother to come; he then makes her call Evgeniy Lukashin. Pavlik persuades Evgeniy to go to St Petersburg.
The plot becomes a story of two fights over a woman: Konstantin vs. Irakliy and Evgeniy vs. Ippolit. In the end Lukashin overcomes the competition because Irakliy turns out to be too tedious for Nadya, and Nadezhda understands that she was never truly in love with Ippolit.
- Konstantin Khabensky as Konstantin Evgeniyevich Lukashin (nickanamed Kostya) (the son of Evgeniy)
- Elizaveta Boyarskaya as Nadezhda Ippolitovna Sheveleva (nickanamed Nadya) (the daughter of Ippolit and Nadezhda)
- Sergey Bezrukov as Irakliy Petrovich Izmaylov
- Andrey Myagkov as Evgeniy Mikhaylovich Lukashin (nickanamed Zhenya)
- Barbara Brylska as Nadezhda Vasilyevna Sheveleva (nickanamed Nadya)
- Yuri Yakovlev as Ippolit Georgievich
- Mikhail Yefremov as Ded Moroz
- Yevgenia Dobrovolskaya as Snegurochka
- Valentina Talyzina as Valya, Nadezhda's friend
- Alexander Schirvindt as Pavlik, Evgeniy's friend
- Dato Bakhtadze as Artur
- Ramaz Chkhikvadze Jr. as Artur's son
- Sergei Rubeko as the man with the New Year tree
- Eldar Ryazanov as Konstantin's seatmate in the plane (cameo role)
- Anna Semenovich as the woman at the airport
- Viktor Verzhbitsky as the mystery man at the bus stop
- Ville Haapasalo as the drunken Finn
- Roman Madyanov as the police officer
Burkov died in 1990. Akhedzhakova refused to take part in the film. Naumenko agreed to the filming, but managed to be in only one episode. Later, her schedule did not coincide with the director's and further shooting did not take place which led to her being cut from the final version of the film.
Initially Milla Jovovich was invited for the role of Nadya, but she read the script and refused. In an interview Jovovich stated that she declined to appear in the film because she was apprehensive about acting in Russian, because her main language is English. However four years later she did act in Russian — in the 2011 film Lucky Trouble alongside Khabensky, also produced by Bekmambetov.
The film received positive reviews from Film.ru, Time Out, KG, Kinomania and a number of other publications. Online newspaper Lenta.ru praised the films cast, humor and atmosphere but criticized the picture for excessive product placement.
- "Ironiya sudby. Prodolzhenie (The Irony of Fate 2)". Box Office Mojo.
- "«Ирония судьбы»: Брыльска не хотела целоваться с Яковлевым, а Боярская - с Хабенским". Komsomolskaya Pravda.
- "Ахеджакова отказалась сниматься даже за 50 тыс долларов" [Akhedzhakova refused to play for even 50 thousand dollars]. Ekspress Nedelia.
- "Спустя 30 лет "Ирония судьбы" заглянула по старому адресу" [After 30 years "Irony of Fate" visits an old address]. INTER.
- "Героями «Иронии судьбы-2» станут дети Андрея Мягкова и Барбары Брыльской}" [Protagonists of "Irony of Fate 2" will be the children of Andrei Myagkov and Barbara Brylska]. Komsomolskaya Pravda.
- Susanna Alperina. "Без "Выкрутасов"" [Without "Lucky Trouble"]. Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
- ""Ирония судьбы – 2" отхватила три награды MTV". segodnya.ua.
- "Прими свою судьбу". film.ru.
- "Ирония судьбы: Продолжение". Time Out.
- "Полный джингл беллс". KG.
- Stanislav Nikulin. "Ирония судьбы. Продолжение – Рецензия Киномании". Kinomania.
- "Отзывы и рецензии на фильм – Ирония судьбы. Продолжение". Kritikanstvo.
- ""Ирония судьбы" Бекмамбетова – Или рекламный ролик с хорошим концом". Lenta.ru.