The James Cancer Hospital
|The James Cancer Hospital & Solove Research Institute|
|Location||Columbus, Ohio, USA|
|Affiliated university||The Ohio State University|
|Network||The James Cancer Network, OSUMC|
|Emergency department||Cancer Emergency Department|
|Public transit access|| 22, 31|
OSU CABS and shuttles
The Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Richard J. Solove Research Institute (commonly shortened to just The James) is part of The Ohio State University and one of the 45 National Comprehensive Cancer hospitals. It is named after Arthur G. James, the founder, who desired a cancer hospital in Columbus, Ohio, United States. With the recent expansion in 2014, it is now the third largest cancer hospital in the United States. In 2020, U.S. News & World Report ranked the hospital as the 30th best cancer hospital in the United States, out of 899 ranked.
The hospital conducts treatments for cancer, and conducts research in the Solove Research Institute. The James receives donations through the Pelotonia biking event. In 2018, the James Cancer Hospital was designated a magnet hospital by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
The ground breaking for the hospital was July 10, 1984. It was completed January 16, 1990 but a water main break delayed the opening until July 9, 1990, when the first patient was admitted.
New hospital and expansion
In December 2014, The James opened a new hospital. With more than 1.1 million square feet, and 21 floors, "the New James" is now the third largest cancer hospital in the country. Designed by Architecture Firm, HOK, the construction project broke ground in 2010 and was the largest development project in The Ohio State University's history. The cost of construction was $1.1 billion. Every inpatient floor specializes in specific cancer sub-types, has dedicated areas for education as well as a translational research lab.
- "Press Release Not Found". Cancer.osu.edu. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- "The James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute". The Ohio State University. Retrieved March 2, 2015.
- "NCCN Members". Retrieved August 23, 2011.
- "Best Hospitals for Cancer". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 26 August 2020.
- "OSUCCC – James Earns Magnet Re-Designation". The James - OSUCCC. Retrieved 2021-04-17.
- "The James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute". cancer.osu.edu. The Ohio State University. Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- "Cancer Emergency Services | OSUCCC James". Cancer.osu.edu. Retrieved 2018-08-02.