The Jeselnik Offensive
|The Jeselnik Offensive|
|Created by||Anthony Jeselnik
|Presented by||Anthony Jeselnik|
|Theme music composer||Tim Mosher & Stoker|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||18 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Mosaic Media Group|
|Original network||Comedy Central|
|Picture format||1080i (16:9 HDTV)|
|Original release||February 19, 2013– August 27, 2013|
The Jeselnik Offensive was an American late-night television program that aired on Comedy Central. It is hosted by stand-up comedian Anthony Jeselnik, who extends his onstage character into weekly, topical humor with a sociopathic, dark twist. The show primarily consists of a monologue and two panelists who join Jeselnik in adding a humorous take on shocking, lurid news stories.
The series premiered February 19, 2013, on Comedy Central. It was renewed for a second season on April 26, 2013, and aired July 9, 2013. On November 11, 2013, Comedy Central cancelled The Jeselnik Offensive after two seasons, most likely motivated by the show's low ratings.
The Jeselnik Offensive has been described as combination of the late-night comedy series and a podcast. Each episode opens with a monologue from Jeselnik, which focuses on tragic news and dark humor. The following segment can sometimes be a comedic remote or an audience-participation game ("Which Kind of Asian Is This?"). Several recurring bits are used: "Sacred Cow" is a segment that takes a subject deemed off limits, and proceeds to make several jokes about it. Each segment uses its platform to tackle such "off-topic" topics as cancer, bullying and missing children through jokes. The following two segments feature guest panelists who continue the wicked take on news. The final segment, “Defend Your Tweet,” in which Jeselnik digs up an old tweet by each of the panelists and confronts them with it. At the end of each show, Jeselnik looks back at faux "Best Moments" from the broadcast, and closes the show with his sign-off phrase, "Good night, kids, go read a book."
The series was taped at Hollywood Center Studios in Los Angeles.
In preparing the show, Comedy Central was looking for a half-hour, four-nights-a-week show following The Colbert Report titled Midnight. Jeselnik's main draw was the monologue, where he felt he could tell jokes that he was unable to do on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, where he worked in 2009. For the pilot, Jeselnik did a test interview with a celebrity but felt "so wrong [...] it just fit me like a bad suit." For the show's first episode, Jeselnik performs cancer-related standup for a cancer support group. "I had to fight with Comedy Central to put that on the first episode," said Jeselnik. The network felt uneasy using the sketch as an introduction. Jeselnik pointed to the premiere episode of Chappelle's Show, in which Dave Chappelle plays a blind African-American Klansman, which he regarded as "one of the edgiest things they ever did." As such, the sketch opened the first episode and received a positive reception; Jay Leno called to inform Jeselnik how much he loved the cancer segment. Season 2 premiered July 9.
Jeselnik revealed in his Netflix Special "Thoughts and Prayers" that Comedy Central threatened to cancel the show after Jeselnik made a joke about the Boston Marathon Bombing the day it happened on his Twitter account. After Jeselnik told Comedy Central he wouldn't delete it (once they threatened to fire only him), they then informed him that they would simply cancel the show and fire everyone who worked on the show to which Jeselnik then deleted the joke citing he "couldn't go to my cameraman on Monday and say, hey, no work today... I had this sweet Tweet." 
Season 1 (2013)
|Panelists||Original air date||Production
|1||1||Aziz Ansari and Amy Schumer||February 19, 2013||101||1.363|
Monologue references: to Christopher Dorner's manhunt, Pope resignation, Catholic Church and HIV/AIDS, North Korea's threats of 2013, Storage Wars' Mark Balelo suicide, naming of park after Ku Klux Klan's founder, Detroit's Osama Bin Laden targets sale, Chris Brown's Porsche crash, Navy SEAL soldier unemployed.
Segments: Who Wore It Better?, Sacred Cow (Cancer, with Christy A. Russell, M.D.), Panel, Show's Best Moments.During panel, there were additional segments, namely Best Worst Thing of The Week, Worst Worst Thing of The Week, The JonBenét Ramsey Memorial Parenting Segment, Latino Voices, Defending your Tweet.
|2||2||Nick Kroll and Patton Oswalt||February 26, 2013||102||1.26|
Segments: Black Name Spelling Bee.Panel references: man was stabbed during a ménage à trois after he refused to change positions, Oscar Pistorius' alleged murder of Reeva Steenkamp and segments Not Buying It(about Four Loko) and Defending Your Tweet.
|3||3||Billy Eichner and Kristen Schaal||March 5, 2013||103||N/A|
Monologue references: Hot Air Balloon crash - Egypt hot air balloon crash killing 19 people, Miss Teen Delaware porn video, Boston face transplant recipient, Mindy Kaling new show, 'One Million Moms' Wants Geico Pig Commercial Pulled, Carrie Fisher Bipolar episode, Man who claims to have $7500 of porn stolen, Joe Francis's Girls Gone Wild creator files for bankruptcy, Xavier Nunez who stabbed a classmate with a screwdriver, Bobby Brown convicted of DUIScott Lively proof that President Obama is Homosexual, Veteran Pornstar Ron Jeremy aneurism heart surgery, Abducted Alabama child, Elder abuse, Tiffany Ennis who Duct Taped Children's Faces and Sent Pictures To Dad, Daytona 500 Crash, Kara Vandereyk caught having sex with pit bull, man broke into a firehouse and masturbated on gear.
|4||4||Brian Posehn and Doug Benson||March 12, 2013||104||1.12|
|5||5||Andy Kindler and Brett Gelman||March 19, 2013||105||1.266|
|6||6||Jonah Ray and Jeff Ross||March 26, 2013||106||1.38|
|7||7||John Mulaney and T. J. Miller||April 2, 2013||107||1.206|
|8||8||Jason Mantzoukas and Natasha Leggero||April 9, 2013||108||1.29|
|9||9||Abby Elliott and Pete Holmes||April 16, 2013||109||1.23|
|10||10||Reggie Watts and Kumail Nanjiani||April 23, 2013||110||0.88|
Season 2 (2013)
|Panelists||Original air date||Production
|11||1||Jim Norton and Amy Schumer||July 9, 2013||201||0.655|
|12||2||David Koechner and Kumail Nanjiani||July 16, 2013||202||0.551|
|13||3||Adam Pally and Casey Wilson||July 23, 2013||203||0.765|
|14||4||Doug Benson and Rob Huebel||July 30, 2013||204||0.600|
|15||5||Dave Attell and Joan Rivers||August 6, 2013||205||0.572|
|16||6||T.J. Miller and Eric André||August 13, 2013||206||0.846|
|17||7||Thomas Lennon and Marc Maron||August 20, 2013||207||TBA|
|18||8||Nick Kroll and John Mulaney||August 27, 2013||208||TBA|
The series received positive reviews. Kevin McFarland of The A.V. Club wrote, "The Jeselnik Offensive is one of the best [Comedy Central shows]. It’s a highly intriguing and reliably funny take on the late-night format," adding, "Jeselnik and his writers prove that the key to making jokes about touchy subjects is actually being funny instead of simply trying to be edgy."
- Lacey Rose (April 26, 2013). "The Jeselnik Offensive, Nathan for You Renewed by Comedy Central". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 26, 2013.
- "'The Jeselnik Offensive' is cancelled according to its host", The Laugh Button, accessed November 25, 2013
- Kevin McFarland (April 24, 2013). "The Jeselnik Offensive — Finale". The A.V. Club. Retrieved April 26, 2013.
- Robert Mays (February 22, 2013). "Q&A: The Jeselnik Offensive's Anthony Jeselnik on His New Show, His Stint With Jimmy Fallon, and Trying to Hit a Home Run Every Time". Grantland.com. Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- Nathan Rabin (March 12, 2013). "Anthony Jeselnik on roasting, ripping off Jack Handey, and giving the devil his own TV show". The A.V. Club. Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- "Mark Balelo found dead". foxnews.com. February 12, 2013.
- The park was renamed Health Sciences Park on February 5, 2013. Sainz, Adrian. "Memphis renames 3 parks that honored Confederacy". Retrieved February 6, 2013.
- Moran, Lee. "Detroit, Michigan, gun shop pulls AK-47-wielding Osama bin Laden skeleton target after protest by Muslim group". Daily News (New York). Retrieved May 1, 2013.
- Archibald, Monty. "Pictured: First images of Chris Brown's smashed Porsche... after it is claimed his representatives lied about cause of crash". Daily Mail (London). Retrieved May 1, 2013.
- Ramos, Andrew (February 10, 2013). "Navy SEAL who killed Osama Bin Laden is unemployed, struggling to make ends meet: report". Daily Mail (London). Retrieved May 1, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda. "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Tosh.0' Wins Night + 'Pretty Little Liars', 'The Daily Show', 'Snooki & JWOWW', 'Real Husbands of Hollywood' & More". Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- Pornstar Scarlett Rouge charged with second degree murder
- Man stabbed during ménage à trois after he refused to change positions
- Four Loko Cans Will Now Make Clear They're Loaded With Alcohol
- Bibel, Sara. "Tuesday Cable Ratings:'Tosh.0' Wins Night, College Basketball, 'Pretty Little Liars', 'Cougar Town', 'Real Husbands of Hollywood','Justified', 'Face Off' & More". Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- Miss Teen Delaware porn video
- Boston Face transplant recipient looks forward to what’s next in her life
- 'One Million Moms' Wants Geico Pig Commercial Pulled For Depicting 'Bestiality'
- Carrie Fisher on Bipolar Disorder: ‘I’ve Got to Learn from Catherine Zeta-Jones’
- Vintage porn collection worth $7500 stolen
- The Broke and the Beautiful: Joe Francis Redux Edition
- Xavier Nunez, College Student, Arrested For Stabbing Classmate With Screwdriver
- Bobby Brown May Serve Only 9 Of His 55 Day DUI Jail Sentence
- Anti-Gay Pastor Posts New ‘Proof’ Obama Is Homosexual
- Ron Jeremy Recovering From Surgery After Heart Aneurysm
- Alabama Boy Held Hostage In Bunker, Gets Funds, Toys From Donors
- Elder abuse, use of shelters rising
- Tiffany Ennis Duct Taped Children's Faces, Sent Pictures To Dad, Ohio Police Say
- Kara Vandereyk Arrested: Woman Caught Having Sex With A Pit Bull In Las Vegas
- Kondolojy, Amanda. "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Tosh.0' Wins Night + 'Pretty Little Liars', 'Snooki & JWOWW', 'Justified', 'Real Husbands of Hollywood' & More". Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara. "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Tosh.0' Wins Night, 'Pretty Little Liars', 'Justified', 'Cougar Town','Top Gear', 'Dance Moms' & More". Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda. "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Tosh.0' Wins Night + World Cup Qualifying Soccer, 'Hardcore Pawn', 'The Game', 'Snooki & JWOWW' & More". Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara. "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Tosh.0' Wins Night, 'Hardcore Pawn', 'Justified', 'Cougar Town','The Game', ' Dance Moms' & More". Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda. "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Tosh.0' Wins Again + 'Counting Cars', 'The Game', 'Hardcore Pawn', 'The Daily Show' & More". Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara. "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Deadliest Catch' Wins Night, 'Tosh.0', 'Awkward', 'Storage Wars','Dance Moms' & More". Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda. "Tuesday Cable Ratings: NBA Playoffs Win Night + 'Deadliest Catch', 'Tosh.0', 'Storage Wars' & More". Retrieved May 15, 2013.