The Jesus Rolls
|The Jesus Rolls|
|Directed by||John Turturro|
|Produced by||Sidney Kimmel|
|Written by||John Turturro|
|Based on||Going Places|
by Bertrand Blier
The Big Lebowski
by Ethan Coen & Joel Coen
|Music by||Émilie Simon|
|Cinematography||Peter Menzies Jr.|
|Edited by||Simona Paggi|
|Distributed by||Screen Media Films|
The Jesus Rolls is an upcoming American crime comedy film written by, directed by, and starring John Turturro, acting as both a remake of the 1974 French film Going Places by Bertrand Blier, and a spin-off to the 1998 cult film The Big Lebowski by the Coen brothers, from which Turturro reprises his role as Jesus Quintana.
- John Turturro as Jesus Quintana
- Bobby Cannavale as Petey
- Audrey Tautou
- Pete Davidson as Jack
- Jon Hamm
- Susan Sarandon as an ex-con
- Sonia Braga
- Nicolás Riera
- J.B. Smoove as The Mechanic
The Coen brothers, who wrote, directed, and produced The Big Lebowski, stated on several occasions that they would never make a Lebowski sequel. However, John Turturro expressed keen interest in reprising his role as Jesus since 2011. Despite not being one of the film's writers, most of Jesus' character came from Turturro's own ideas, which led the Coens to give him a bigger place in the film. In 2014, Turturro announced that he had requested permission from the Coens to use the character.
In August 2016, it was announced that Turturro, after being granted the right to use the character of Jesus by the Coens (who are not involved in the production), had already started filming the spin-off, which he would also write and direct. It was also announced the film would be a remake of the 1974 French film Going Places directed by Bertrand Blier, which was itself based on his own novel Les valseuses. The film was originally supposed to be titled 100 Minutes with Jesus before being re-titled Going Places. With its acquisition by Screen Media Films, the film's title was changed again to The Jesus Rolls, with the film's log-line being "The Dude Abides", in reference to Jeff Bridges' character from The Big Lebowski.
- "'Big Lebowski' Spinoff 'Going Places': First Photo of John Turturro as Jesus Revealed". IndieWire. August 22, 2016. Retrieved August 29, 2016.
- Hipes, Patrick (July 8, 2019). "The Big Release Date: John Turturro's 'The Jesus Rolls' To Hit Theaters In 2020". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 8, 2019.
- "WILL FERRELL AND JOHN C. REILLY REUNITE TO PLAY HOLMES AND WATSON, PLUS MORE MOVIE NEWS". Rotten Tomatoes. August 19, 2016. Retrieved August 29, 2016.
- "John Turturro's sex farce Going Places gets rolling in New York". Entertainment Weekly. August 18, 2016. Retrieved August 29, 2016.
- Setoodeh, Ramin (February 3, 2016). "The Coen Brothers Will Never Make a Sequel to 'The Big Lebowski'". Variety. Retrieved August 20, 2016.
- "John Turturro Says He'd Love To Do A Big Lebowski Spin-Off With Jesus Quintana". Cinema Blend. 2011. Retrieved August 29, 2016.
- O'Neal, Sean (June 28, 2011). "Random Roles: John Turturro". The A.V. Club. Retrieved August 20, 2016.
- Green, Bill; Ben Peskoe; Will Russell; Scott Shuffitt (2007). "I'm A Lebowski, You're A Lebowski". Bloomsbury.
- Lyman, Eric J. (June 22, 2014). "Taormina Fest Honors John Turturro, Fox's Jim Gianopulos on Final Day". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 20, 2016.
- McNary, Dave (August 18, 2016). "John Turturro in Production on 'Big Lebowski' Spinoff 'Going Places'". Variety. Retrieved August 20, 2016.