The Jockstrap Raiders
The Jockstrap Raiders is a short animated film. Running for 19 minutes, it was written, produced and directed by Mark J Nelson as a thesis film for his Master of Fine Arts in Animation at UCLA. The film took almost five years (part-time) to complete and was made in Los Angeles.
The film is set in Leeds, England at the time of the First World War and centres on a group of misfits unable to enlist in the regular armed forces. When they hear of an imminent attack by the German Kaiser, who is constructing a bridge across the English Channel, they embark on a mission to save their country using homemade planes and explosives. The squadron are forced to strip to their jock straps in order to get their fleet of aircraft airborne and, despite many mishaps, succeed in blowing up the bridge and saving the nation.
The Jockstrap Raiders has won a number of awards, including:
- Silver medal for Animation at the Student Academy Awards
- Best animation, best film and best sound effects at the British Animation Festival 2012
- Best animation at the Aesthetica Short Film Festival 2012
- Audience choice winner 2011 for best short at Orlando Film Festival
- Best animation at 2012 Macon Film Festival (MaGa)
- 2012 best short short at GI Film Festival.
- "Mark Nelson’s animated "Jockstrap Raiders" wins Student Academy Award | UCLA School of TFT". Tft.ucla.edu. 2012-05-15. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "39th Student Academy Award Winners (2012) | The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences". Oscars.org. 2012-08-24. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "Aesthetica Short Film Festival". ASFF. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "Orlando Film Fest". Orlando Film Fest. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "Media - News & Updates". Macon Film Festival. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "Best of Festival Winners " GI Film Festival | Reel Stories! Real Heroes!". Gifilmfestival.com. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- Jockstrap Raiders film and website
- Academy winner profile
- Feature in Animation magazine
- Short of the week article
- Eye Candy review on CG Channel
- IMDb listing
|This article related to a short animated film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|