The Joker's Jinx
|The Joker's Jinx|
A train exits the Cobra Roll
|Six Flags America|
|Park section||Gotham City|
|Opening date||May 8, 1999|
|Type||Steel – Launched|
|Lift/launch system||LIM launch|
|Height||78.8 ft (24.0 m)|
|Length||2,705 ft (824 m)|
|Speed||60 mph (97 km/h)|
|Capacity||975 riders per hour|
|Acceleration||0 - 60 in 3 seconds|
|Height restriction||54 in (137 cm)|
|Trains||2 trains with 6 cars. Riders are arranged 2 across in 2 rows for a total of 24 riders per train.|
Flash Pass Available
|The Joker's Jinx at RCDB
Pictures of The Joker's Jinx at RCDB
The Joker's Jinx is a steel roller coaster at Six Flags America in Prince George's County, Maryland. The ride utilises linear induction motor technology to launch the train from 0 to 60 mph (97 km/h) in just over three seconds.
Joker's Jinx is located in the Gotham City section of the park near Superman: Ride of Steel roller coaster and Whistlestop Park. After boarding Joker's Jinx, riders are launched through a narrow launch tunnel into a "spaghetti bowl" of track which contains a cobra roll, a sidewinder, and many twists and turns. The coaster doesn't have a mid-course brake run like the similar rides at Kings Island and Kings Dominion; instead the coaster has multiple rings that the train goes through. After the rings, riders spiral downward and to the left, and after more twists and turns they pass through a corkscrew before arriving at the ride's final brake run.
Premier Rides built several of these LIM Catapult roller coasters from 1996 to 1999, although only the two Flight of Fear rides are indoors. The other outdoor LIM Catapult coaster in the United States is Poltergeist at Six Flags Fiesta Texas; that opened in 1999. In addition, a LIM Catapult coaster called Mad Cobra operated at Suzuka Circuit in Japan from 1998–2003; Mad Cobra was moved to China and reopened at Kingdoms of Discovery in 2006. The five Premier LIM catapult coasters share a similar layout and have the same technical specifications.
|Mitch Hawker's Best Roller Coaster Poll: Best Steel-Tracked Roller Coaster|
- Poltergeist, a similar ride at Six Flags Fiesta Texas
- Flight of Fear, similar, but enclosed, rides at Kings Island and Kings Dominion
- Incidents at Six Flags parks
- "Amusement". Intermountain Lift, Inc. July 30, 2011. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- Marden, Duane. "Mad Cobra (Suzuka Circuit)". Roller Coaster DataBase. Retrieved 9 July 2011.
- Marden, Duane. "Mad Cobra (Discoveryland)". Roller Coaster DataBase. Retrieved 9 July 2011.
- Marden, Duane. "Joker's Jinx (Six Flags America)". Roller Coaster DataBase. Retrieved 9 July 2011.