The Journal of Asian Studies
|Edited by||Vinayak Chaturvedi|
|The Far Eastern Quarterly|
|J. Asian Stud.|
The Journal of Asian Studies is a quarterly peer-reviewed academic journal published by Cambridge University Press on behalf of the Association for Asian Studies, covering Asian studies, ranging from history, the arts, social sciences, to philosophy of East, South, and Southeast Asia. In addition to regular articles, a large section of the journal is devoted to book reviews. The journal was established in 1941 as The Far Eastern Quarterly, changing to its current title in September 1956.
The followiing persons have been editor-in-chief of the journal:
- Donald Shively (1956–1959)
- Roger F. Hackett (1959–1962, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor)
- David D. Buck (1990–1994, University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee)
- Anand A. Yang (1995–2000, University of Utah)
- Ann Waltner (2001–2004, University of Minnesota)
- Kenneth M. George (2005–2008, University of Wisconsin–Madison)
- Jeffrey Wasserstrom (2008–2018, University of California-Irvine)
- Vinayak Chaturvedi (2018–present, University of California-Irvine)
Bibliography of Asian Studies
From 1941 to 1991, the Association for Asian Studies published an annual Bibliography of Asian Studies as a supplement to the journal. Since 1991 the bibliography has only been available by separate subscription.
The entire contents of the journal are available in full-text, searchable electronic databases. All issues except the most recent three years are available on JSTOR; more recent issues on ProQuest or on the website of the publisher, Cambridge University Press.
Abstracting and indexing
The journal is abstracted and indexed in the Arts and Humanities Citation Index, Social Sciences Citation Index, and Scopus. According to the Journal Citation Reports, the journal has a 2013 impact factor of 0.742.
- Maclay, Kathleen. "Professor emeritus Donald Shively, expert on Japanese life and cultures, dies," UCBerkeley News, August 17, 2005.
- Roger F. Hackett, Faculty History Project, University of Michigan. (Accessed April 22, 2015).
- "The Journal of Asian Studies". 2013 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2014.