The Judy Monologues
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Conceived and directed by Darren Stewart-Jones, the original production featured vintage film clips of Garland from MGM's Till the Clouds Roll By. The Judy Monologues premiered at Buddies in Bad Times Theatre in Toronto, Ontario in September 2010 and subsequently played The Pearl Company in Hamilton, Ontario. Performed by three male actors as a tribute to Garland's influence on the gay community, the original cast featured Philip Cairns, Ryan Fisher and Darren Stewart-Jones. Nigel Gough (1982–2010) was the understudy. A Garland lookalike, Kimberly Roberts, also appeared in silent vignettes.
An abridged version of the play was performed in London, Ontario as part of the London One Act Festival in April, 2011. Philip Cairns won Best Actor at the festival's awards ceremony. The play also received two additional awards - special mentions for the concept and the audio/visual content.
A revamped version of The Judy Monologues was performed at the 2013 Hamilton Fringe Festival as a one-woman show, with Elley-Ray Hennessy portraying Garland to rave reviews.
The Judy Monologues was performed at the 2015 SpringWorks Festival in Stratford, Ontario, with Elley-Ray Hennessy reprising her role as Garland.
- "The Judy Monologues". Smashwords. Smashwords, Inc. Retrieved 9 July 2012.
- Gary Smith (16 September 2010). "Garland's rant sparks artist". TheSpec.com. Metroland Media Group Ltd. Retrieved 9 July 2012.
- "The Judy Monologues". The Judy Monologues. Baby Gumm Productions. Retrieved 9 July 2012.
- "The Judy Monologues". The Judy Monologues. http://thejudymonologues.blogspot.com/. Retrieved 9 July 2012. External link in
- "The Judy Monologues". The Toronto Fringe Festival. Canadian Association of Fringe Festivals. Retrieved 9 July 2012.
- Gary Smith (23 July 2013). "Stories of strong women on the fringe". TheSpec.com. Metroland Media Group Ltd. Retrieved 24 July 2013.