The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior
|The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior|
Cover of Bokura wa Minna Kawai-sō volume 1 published by Shōnen Gahōsha. The character on the cover is Ritsu Kawai.
(Bokura wa Minna Kawai-sō)
|Genre||Comedy, Romance, Slice of life|
|Written by||Ruri Miyahara|
|Published by||Shōnen Gahōsha|
|Magazine||Young King OURs|
|Original run||June 2010 – present|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Shigeyuki Miya|
|Written by||Takeshi Konuta|
|Music by||Akito Matsuda|
|Network||TBS, SUN, KBS, CBC, BS-TBS, Kids Station|
|Original run||April 3, 2014 – June 19, 2014|
|Original video animation|
|Directed by||Shigeyuki Miya|
|Written by||Takeshi Konuta|
|Music by||Akito Matsuda|
|Released||December 26, 2014|
The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior (僕らはみんな河合荘 Bokura wa Minna Kawai-sō?, lit. "We Are All From Dormitory Kawai", a play on words that has a double meaning of "We Are All Pitiful") is a manga series by Ruri Miyahara, published in Shōnen Gahōsha's seinen manga magazine Young King OURs since the June 2010 issue. It has been collected in six tankōbon volumes as of November 2014. An anime television series adaptation, produced by Brain's Base aired in Japan between April and June 2014.
Thanks to his parents' job transfer, high school freshman Kazunari Usa finally gets to enjoy living on his own in the Kawai Complex, a boarding house that provides meals for its residents. Ritsu, the senpai he admires, also lives in Kawai Complex, as do a few other "unique" individuals: his masochistic roommate Shirosaki; beautiful, big-breasted Mayumi who has no luck in finding men; and sly, predatory college woman Sayaka. Surrounded by these people, Usa never finds his daily life boring.
- Kazunari Usa (宇佐 和成 Usa Kazunari?)
- Voiced by: Yūichi Iguchi
- Usa Kazunari is a first year student in high school whose parents ended up working out of town. He agreed to them that he would stay anywhere, as long as he could live alone. So he decided to move in at the Kawai Dormitory where his parent's friend Sumiko is the manager. But to his dismay, he ends up rooming with a masochistic man named Shirosaki, who he caught peeking through a broken fence that surrounded a grade school. At first Usa dislikes living with the other residents of the complex, until while attempting to leave the complex, he runs into a girl name Ritsu Kawai at the front door, a second year student at his school that he admires and automatically convinced to stay at the complex. Usa then quickly adjusts to their abnormal lifestyle.
- Ritsu Kawai (河合 律 Kawai Ritsu?)
- Voiced by: Kana Hanazawa
- Ritsu is a quiet girl and a second year student at Usa's school. She loves reading books and is often expressionless, but is prone to outbursts of emotion when something amuses, moves or embarrasses her. Despite her cold attitude early on, she finds herself falling in love with Usa, even if she doesn't realize it yet. In the manga Ritsu is depicted with black hair while in the anime she has brown hair.
- Sumiko (住子?)
- Voiced by: Sanae Kobayashi
- The manager of Kawai Dormitory and the sister of Ritsu's grandfather.
- Shirosaki (城崎?)
- Voiced by: Go Shinomiya
- Usa's somewhat perverted roommate, known for being a masochist.
- Mayumi Nishikino (錦野 麻弓 Nishikino Mayumi?)
- Voiced by: Rina Satō
- A working woman who has terrible luck with men and is always harsh to everyone. Especially those who found romance or about to find romance.
- Sayaka Watanabe (渡辺 彩花 Watanabe Sayaka?)
- Voiced by: Hisako Kanemoto
- A college student at Kawai Dormitory. Sweet on the outside but loves to cause trouble for others. Loves to fondle Mayumi, much to her dismay. It is revealed later in the series that Sayaka is into BL(Boy's Love) manga when Miharu visited the Kawai Complex and started saying embarrassing things about Sayaka when she was in high school, much to her dismay.
- Chinatsu (千夏?)
- Voiced by: Ai Shimizu
- An elementary school student who becomes attached to the Kawai Dormitory crew after Shirosaki found her wallet. Has a fondness for pudding and, in Shirosaki's point of view, has the makings of a sadist.
- Tagami (田神?)
- Voiced by: Junsuke Sakai
- Usa's friend at school. He has developed a crush on Mayumi after seeing her at Usa's workplace.
- Yamamoto (山本?) / Hōjō (北条?)
- Voiced by: Hikaru Midorikawa
- One of the first employees Usa meets at his summer part time job and is a very strange character using lyrical and explanatory notations to emphasize his words. Yamamoto is his name at work and Hōjō is his real name.
- Kurokawa (黒川?)
- Voiced by: Takashi Kondō
- One of the first employees Usa meets at his summer part time job.
- Hayashi (林?)
- Voiced by: Manami Numakura
- Usa's classmate back in middle school. She had an obsession to things occult and is also the source to Usa's weird nickname. After entering high school, she left the occult stuff behind her and changed her appearance to be more girly and stylish. When she met Usa again at his workplace, following a mixer with Tagami and several people, she tried to push her weird past on Usa and make it seem like he was the weird one. She has feelings for Usa.
- Miharu Tsuneda (常田 美晴 Tsuneda Miharu?)
- Voiced by: Ayaka Suwa
- Sayaka's classmate back in middle school. She knows something about Sayaka in middle school life.
- Maemura (前村?)
- Norihiro Sakuma (佐久間 範弘 Sakuma Norihiro?)
- Manami (愛美?)
- Akira (アキラ?)
- Yōko Mabuchi (馬淵 陽子 Mabuchi Yōko?)
The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior started as a manga series, written and drawn by Ruri Miyahara and published by Shōnen Gahōsha in their Young King OURs seinen manga magazine. The manga is also published online in English by Crunchyroll. The first chapter appeared in the June 2010 issue, released on April 30, 2010. The series have also been compiled in seven tankōbon volumes, published between May 30, 2011, and September 30, 2015.
|1||May 30, 2011||ISBN 978-4-7859-3631-0|
|2||January 30, 2012||ISBN 978-4-7859-3777-5|
|3||August 30, 2012||ISBN 978-4-7859-3909-0|
|4||May 30, 2013||ISBN 978-4-7859-5057-6|
|5||March 26, 2014||ISBN 978-4-7859-5251-8|
|6||November 29, 2014||ISBN 978-4-7859-5435-2|
|7||September 30, 2015||ISBN 978-4-7859-5634-9|
A 12-episode anime television series adaptation, directed by Shigeyuki Miya at studio Brain's Base aired on TBS from April 3 to June 19, 2014, and later on SUN, KBS, CBC, BS-TBS and Kids Station. The series was streamed with English subtitles by Crunchyroll. The anime has been licensed for digital and home video release by Sentai Filmworks. The opening theme is "Itsuka no, Iku Tsuka no Kimi to no Sekai" (Somewhen, Some Worlds With You) (いつかの、いくつかのきみとのせかい?), sung by Fhána, and the ending theme is "My Sweet Shelter" by Kana Hanazawa, Rina Satō and Hisako Kanemoto. An unaired episode will be released with the seventh part of the DVD and Blu-ray Disc release, scheduled for December 26, 2014.
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|April 3, 2014|
|After a disastrous three years of middle school, Kazunari Usa is ready to start fresh and lead a normal high school. When his parents have to move away for work, Usa goes to stay at the Kawai dormitory complex. Also living at the Kawai complex, Usa meets Shirosaki, his masochistic roommate, Mayumi, a business woman who can never keep a boyfriend, and Ritsu, a quiet girl attending the same school as Usa who loves to read. When Usa meets Ritsu, he falls in love with her at first sight.|
"Kore tte" (これって)
|April 10, 2014|
|April 17, 2014|
|April 24, 2014|
|May 1, 2014|
|6||"Could It Be?"
|May 8, 2014|
|Usa's mother tells Usa she forgot to pay the rent. On the way home, Ritsu and Usa meets Shirosaki selling bamboo. Some leftover bamboo is brought back to the apartments. The police call for Shirosaki, telling him that the owner of the lost wallet he found and returned to the police station will be coming over to thank him. The owner of the wallet is Chinatsu, an elementary school girl. After staying for Sumiko's pudding, she goes home. Unexpectedly, Chinatsu returns and asks Shirosaki if he finished making Pythogoras. Chinsatsu decides to come over every day to help him make the Pythogoras. Chinatsu confesses to Shirosaki. Shirosaki tell her to wait nine more years to confess to him again and leaves to help Sumiko. Mayumi tries to convince Chinsatsu not to go for Shirosaki but makes her cry instead. Three days later, Chinattsu has not visited the apartments and Usa and Ritsu saw her being shut out by her other friends. At night, Usa finds her at the apartment ground and everyone finds out that she rudely said she hated anime when her friends talked about it. Sumiko and Shirosaki comfort her and tell her to work hard to make up with her friends. On Saturday, Chinatsu brings her friends over to see the Pythogoras device, which ends with nagashi-somen. Chinsatsu and her friends enjoys Sumiko's pudding.|
"Osusume no" (おすすめの)
|May 15, 2014|
The 6 of them talk about a molester who has recently appeared in the neighbourhood. Sumiko forbides Ritsu from reading while walking home. Usa gets the chance to walk home with Ritsu so that she can read her book while walking. After the molester is arrested, Ritsu immediately rushes to the library to read more books. In the evening, two kids tell Sumiko and Usa that there is a person who looks exactly like the molester. Ritsu was walking home while reading her book in the underpass when the molester jumps in front of her and flashes her. She does not see anything as she is still engrossed in her book. Usa comes to the rescue, the molester tries to escape but is kicked by Sayaka and is tied by Shirosaki. The molester is handed to the police. Back at the apartments, Usa scolds Ritsu for not being careful. She thanks him, but beckons him to the girls area so that she has an excuse to beat Usa up.Sumiko is hot and tired so everyone would be eating out at a restaurant owned by a friend of hers. Sumiko and her friend discuss about how the restaurant needs a new worker to manage the 'unique' employees. Usa is a perfect choice and is offered the job but refuses. The next day, Usa is forced to wear one of the restaurant's uniform. After witnessing Ritsu's reaction upon seeing him in the uniform, Usa accepts the job.
|May 22, 2014|
"Kindan no" (禁断の)
|May 29, 2014|
|10||"You Could Just Ignore It"
"Hottokeba Ii no ni" (ほっとけばいいのに)
|June 5, 2014|
|11||"Don't Have Any Friends"
"Tomodachi Nanka Inai tte" (友達なんかいないって)
|June 12, 2014|
|12||"I Want to Get Closer"
|June 19, 2014|
"Hajimete no" (初めての)
|January 30, 2015|
- Love Lab, another manga series by Ruri Miyahara.
- "Crunchyroll Manga Adds "The Legend of Onikirimaru" and "Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou"". Crunchyroll. Retrieved Oct 11, 2014.
- 近藤るるるが次号ヤングキングアワーズから新連載開始 (in Japanese). Natalie.mu. April 30, 2010. Retrieved October 4, 2014.
- 僕らはみんな河合荘 (in Japanese). Shōnen Gahōsha. Retrieved December 24, 2013.
- 僕らはみんな河合荘 6巻 (ヤングキング・コミックス) (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved October 4, 2014.
- 僕らはみんな河合荘 7巻 (コミック（ＹＫコミックス）) (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved September 5, 2015.
- アニメ「河合荘」キャスト＆キービジュ公開、律は花澤香菜 (in Japanese). Natalie.mu. January 31, 2014. Retrieved October 4, 2014.
- "Crunchyroll to Stream The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior". Anime News Network. April 4, 2014. Retrieved October 4, 2014.
- "Sentai Filmworks Licenses The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior". Anime News Network. March 26, 2014. Retrieved October 4, 2014.
- "7th Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior DVD/BD Includes Unaired Episode". Anime News Network. June 30, 2014. Retrieved October 4, 2014.
- Anime official website (Japanese)
- The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior (manga) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia