The Kid (2019 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Vincent D'Onofrio|
|Screenplay by||Andrew Lanham|
|Cinematography||Matthew J. Lloyd|
|Edited by||Katharine McQuerrey|
|Distributed by||Lionsgate Films|
|Box office||$1.14 million|
The Kid is a 2019 American semi-biographical Western action thriller film directed by Vincent D'Onofrio, from a screenplay by Andrew Lanham, and is executive produced by Carl Stubner, through Suretone Pictures. The film stars Ethan Hawke, Dane DeHaan, Jake Schur, Leila George, Chris Pratt, Adam Baldwin, and D'Onofrio, and centers around a young boy named Rio who forms an unlikely alliance with local sheriff Pat Garrett and infamous outlaw Billy the Kid in a mission to rescue his sister Sara from Grant Cutler, the boy’s thuggish uncle and gang leader who has kidnapped Sara for ransom.
The Kid was released in the United States on March 8, 2019, by Lionsgate Films.
Rio (Jake Schur) is forced to go on the run across the Southwestern United States to save his sister Sara (Leila George) from his villainous uncle Grant Cutler (Chris Pratt). Along the way, he encounters Sheriff Pat Garrett (Ethan Hawke) on the hunt for the infamous outlaw Billy the Kid (Dane DeHaan). Rio finds himself increasingly entwined in the lives of these two legendary figures as the cat and mouse game of Billy the Kid's final year of life plays out. Ultimately Rio must choose which type of man he is going to become, the outlaw or the man of valor, and will use the self-realization in a final act to save his sister.
- Ethan Hawke as Pat Garrett
- Dane DeHaan as Billy the Kid
- Jake Schur as Rio Cutler
- Leila George as Sara Cutler
- Chris Pratt as Grant Cutler
- Adam Baldwin as Bob Olinger
- Vincent D'Onofrio as Sheriff Romero
- Keith Jardine as Pete
- Chris Bylsma as Charlie Bowdre
- Clint Obenchain as Tom Pickett
- Chad Dashnaw as Dave Rudabaugh
- Charlie Chappell as Billy Wilson
- Joseph Santos as James George Bell
- Hawk D'Onofrio as Oran Moler
- Jenny Gabrielle as Mirabel
In April 2017, Vincent D'Onofrio was announced to be directing and starring in the film as Sheriff Romero. In July 2017, Dane DeHaan was cast as Billy the Kid. In August 2017, it was revealed that Chris Pratt would appear in the film. In September 2017, Jake Schur was cast in the title role.
The first trailer debuted on February 21, 2019.
On the review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 41% based on 32 reviews, with an average rating of 5.2/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "Well-framed, well-cast, and well-intentioned, The Kid still largely fails to set itself apart from the multitude of other westerns covering similar territory." Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned the film a score of 51 out of 100, based on 14 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews."
- Steves, Ashley (October 2, 2017). "Now Casting: Lionsgate's 'The Kid' has a Handful of Background Roles to Choose From + More". Backstage. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- Lewis, John (March 8, 2019). "The Kid (2019) Cast, Release date, Plot, Budget, Box office". Best Movie Cast. Retrieved March 10, 2019.
- "The Kid (2019)". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. Retrieved March 20, 2019.
- "The Kid (2019) - Financial Information". The Numbers. Retrieved March 19, 2019.
- "Pratt will be ba-ack! – NM Film News". NMFilmNews. August 26, 2017. Retrieved May 2, 2018.
- Harp, Justin; Mozafari, Laurence; Armitage, Hugh (April 24, 2017). "Guardians of the Galaxy's Chris Pratt and Daredevil's Vincent D'Onofrio join forces for a new Western". Digital Spy. Retrieved May 2, 2018.
- Fleming Jr., Mike (July 19, 2017). "Vincent D'Onofrio Taps 'Valarian's Dane DeHaan to Play Billy the Kid in Suretone Western". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 24, 2018.
- Fleming Jr., Mike (December 3, 2018). "Mimran Schur Takes Co-Fi Stakes In Sony's 'Holmes & Watson' And 'Bloodshot'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 4, 2019.
- Hipes, Patrick (February 21, 2019). "'The Kid' Trailer: Ethan Hawke Vs. Dane DeHaan In Vincent D'Onofrio's Wild West Tale". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 21, 2019.
- Fleming Jr., Mike (September 20, 2017). "Vincent D'Onofrio Sets Jake Schur In Title Role Of 'The Kid'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 4, 2019.
- Horwath, Justin (October 21, 2017). "D'Onofrio tries a new role: teacher". The Santa Fe New Mexican. Retrieved October 3, 2018.
- "2019 RELEASE SCHEDULE". First Showing. Retrieved February 8, 2019.
- "The Kid (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "The Kid (2019) Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved March 7, 2019.