The group was founded in 2010 by Rotterdammer Dave von Raven (formerly of The Madd, a Nederbeat-inspired band with English lyrics), and released two singles in English in 2011 before switching to lyrics in Dutch in which, according to a critic for NU.nl, they combine camp with sincerity. They released their first album in 2012, Springlevend. A reviewer for de Volkskrant commented on the humorous and upbeat lyrics (mostly about girls), and singled out an adaptation of "Pleasant Valley Sunday", a hit for The Monkees in 1967. A reviewer for De Telegraaf said, "Their enthusiasm is contagious, their authentic-sounding Beatles-beats are fantastic."
The Kik were announced as the house band for the Dutch television show De Wereld Draait Door, for twelve episodes of the 2013 season; they performed on the show in May 2012 to promote Springlevend.
- Dave von Raven - guitar, vocals
- Marcel Groenewegen - bass
- Arjan Spies - guitar, vocals
- Ries Doms - drums
- Paul Zoontjens - keyboards, backing vocals
- Springlevend (2012)
- 2 (2014)
- Met De Deur in Huis (2015)
- Armand & The Kik (2015)
- Wij Zijn Vuilnisman (2016)
- Stad en Land (2017)
- Hertaalt! (2017)
- Boudewijn de Groot's Voor de Overlevenden & Picknick (2019, live)
- "The Kik nieuwe huisband DWDD". Het Parool. 24 May 2012. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- Oitman, Pierre (30 May 2012). "Rev. of The Kik, Springlevend". NU.nl. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- Kramer, Gijsbert (30 May 2012). "Rev. of The Kik, Springlevend". de Volkskrant. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- Wijlaars, Bart (26 May 2012). "Rev. of The Kik, Springlevend". De Telegraaf. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
Het enthousiasme is aanstekelijk, de authentiek lijkende Beatlesbeats zijn fantastisch.
- "The Kik nieuwe huisband DWDD". RTV Rijnmond. 25 May 2012. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- "Joop Van den Ende en Mart Smeets te gast in De Wereld Draait Door". TV-Visie. 23 May 2012. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
|This article about a Dutch band or other musical ensemble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|