The King's Man
|The King's Man|
|Directed by||Matthew Vaughn|
|Story by||Matthew Vaughn|
|Distributed by||20th Century Studios|
The King's Man is an upcoming period action spy film directed by Matthew Vaughn from a screenplay by Vaughn and Karl Gajdusek and a story by Vaughn. The third installment in the Kingsman film series, which is based on the comic book The Secret Service by Mark Millar and Dave Gibbons, the film serves as a prequel to 2014's Kingsman: The Secret Service and 2017's Kingsman: The Golden Circle.
The film features an ensemble cast that includes Ralph Fiennes (who also serves as one of the film's executive producers), Gemma Arterton, Rhys Ifans, Matthew Goode, Tom Hollander, Harris Dickinson, Daniel Brühl, Djimon Hounsou and Charles Dance.
The King's Man is scheduled to be released on 22 December 2021 in RealD 3D, IMAX, 4DX and Dolby Cinema, by 20th Century Studios, delayed several times from an original November 2019 release date, partially due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
As a collection of history's worst tyrants and criminal masterminds gather to plot a war to wipe out millions, one man and his protégé must race against time to stop them.
- Ralph Fiennes as Orlando, Duke of Oxford
- Harris Dickinson as Conrad
- Alexander Shaw as young Conrad
- Gemma Arterton as Polly
- Djimon Hounsou as Shola
- Rhys Ifans as Grigori Rasputin
- Matthew Goode as Captain Morton / The Shepherd
- Tom Hollander as George V, Wilhelm II and Nicholas II
- Daniel Brühl as Erik Jan Hanussen
- Charles Dance as Herbert Kitchener
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson as Lee Unwin
- Aaron Vodovoz as Felix Yuzupov
- Todd Boyce as Mr. Alfred DuPont
- Branka Katic as Tsarina Alix
- Valerie Pachner as Mata Hari
- Olivier Richters as H.M.S.G. (Hugh Machine Shark Guard)
- Stanley Tucci
- Neil Jackson
- Joel Basman
- Ross Anderson
- Alison Steadman
- Robert Aramayo as Gavrilo Princip
- Alexandra Maria Lara
- Tiago Martins as Officer Cadet
In June 2018, Matthew Vaughn announced that a prequel film titled Kingsman: The Great Game was in active development, stating that the plot would take place during the early-1900s and would depict the formation of the spy agency and that the project would film back-to-back with "the third regular Kingsman film" which is scheduled to be released in 2021.
In September 2018, it was announced that Ralph Fiennes and Harris Dickinson would star in the prequel with the latter also serving as on of the executive producers of the film. In November 2018, it was revealed that Daniel Brühl, Charles Dance, Rhys Ifans and Matthew Goode would co-star in the film.
In February 2019, it was reported that Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Gemma Arterton, Tom Hollander, Djimon Hounsou, Alison Steadman, Stanley Tucci, Robert Aramayo and Neil Jackson had joined the cast. In April 2019, it was announced Alexandra Maria Lara had joined the cast of the film. Later in May, Joel Basman joined the cast. That same month, as filming concluded, Vaughn denied reports that Liam Neeson had joined the cast. Vaughn also said The Great Game was a working title and the film would not have that name.
Principal photography began 22 January 2019 in the United Kingdom. In April 2019 some scenes were shot in Turin and Venaria Reale (Italy), transformed into Yugoslavia. The film's initial cinematographer Ben Davis had to depart the project during reshoots due to his commitments to Eternals.
The first teaser trailer of The King's Man was released on 15 July 2019. The second trailer was released on 28 September 2019. The third trailer was released on 21 June 2020, which showcased many of the action scenes. The Red band trailer was released on 26 August 2021.
The King's Man is scheduled to be theatrically released on 22 December 2021 in RealD 3D, Dolby 3D and 4DX, its eighth proposed release date and more than two years after it was originally due to come out.
It was originally scheduled to be released on 9 November 2019, but was pushed back first to 15 November 2019, then to 14 February 2020, and then to 18 September 2020. The release date was again pushed back to 26 February 2021, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Following the delay of Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase Four films, The King's Man was moved up two weeks to 12 February 2021, before being moved again to 12 March 2021. In January 2021, the release date was delayed again to 20 August 2021. In March 2021, it was further delayed to the December 2021 date. The film will play in theaters for 45 days before heading to digital platforms.
- Marc, Christopher (16 January 2019). "'Captain Marvel/Layer Cake' Cinematographer Ben Davis Confirmed For Matthew Vaughn's 'Kingsman: The Great Game'". HN Entertainment. Retrieved 16 January 2019.
- Travis, Ben; Hewitt, Chris (8 June 2018). "Kick-Ass Reboot and Kingsman Universe Coming from Matthew Vaughn's New Studio". Empire. Retrieved 2 December 2018.
- Reyes, Mike (26 August 2021). "The King's Man Red Band Trailer Has Gadgets, Violence, And A Decapitation". Cinema Blend. Retrieved 18 November 2021.
- Murphy, Charles (9 August 2018). "EXCLUSIVE: Details on 'KINGSMAN 3'". That Hashtag Show. Retrieved 2 December 2018.
- Marc, Christopher (28 September 2018). "WWI Era Prequel Movie 'Kingsman: The Great Game' Will Reportedly Star Ralph Fiennes and Harris Dickinson - GWW". thegww.com. Retrieved 2 December 2018.
- Sneider, Jeffrey (29 November 2018). "Exclusive: 'Game of Thrones' Star Joins 'Kingsman' Prequel; Rhys Ifans in Talks". Collider. Retrieved 2 December 2018.
- Sneider, Jeffrey (7 February 2019). "'Kingsman' Prequel: Matthew Vaughn Recruits 'Kick-Ass' Star Aaron Taylor-Johnson". Collider. Retrieved 16 August 2019.
- Wiseman, Andreas (8 February 2019). "'Kingsman' Prequel: Harris Dickinson, Gemma Arterton, Ralph Fiennes, Aaron Taylor-Johnson Among Confirmed Cast". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 16 August 2019.
- Boucher, Geoff (22 February 2019). "'Stargirl' Final Four: Amy Smart, Three Others Round Out DC Series Cast". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 16 August 2019.
- Marc, Christopher (29 April 2019). "EXCLUSIVE: 'Rush/Control' Actress Alexandra Maria Lara Joins The Cast of Matthew Vaughn's 'Kingsman: The Great Game'". HN Entertainment. Retrieved 29 April 2019.
- Marc, Christopher (1 May 2019). "EXCLUSIVE: 'Hanna/Papillon' Actor Joel Basman Is Another Addition To The Cast of Matthew Vaughn's 'Kingsman: The Great Game'". HN Entertainment. Retrieved 1 May 2019.
- Haring, Bruce (26 May 2019). "'Kingsman 3' Will Wrap The Eggsy/Harry Relationship, Says Director Matthew Vaughn". HN Entertainment. Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- Schiller, Griffin (30 May 2019). "Kingsman: Matthew Vaughn Denies Liam Neeson's Involvement; Next Film Won't Be Called The Great Game [Exclusive]". The Playlist. Retrieved 16 June 2019.
- Marc, Christopher (31 May 2019). "Matthew Vaughn Says Kingsman 3 Aiming For 2021 Release Date and There Could Be Two More Movies Coming – Debunks Report That Liam Neeson Is In Kingsman: The Great Game". HN Entertainment. Retrieved 16 June 2019.
- "Kingsman prequel begins filming". The Knowledge Online. 22 January 2019. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- "Al via a Torino le riprese del film che racconta le "origini" dei Kingsman". Film Commission Torino Piemonte. 24 April 2019. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- Marc, Christopher (3 February 2020). "Matthew Vaughn's Kingsman Prequel The King's Man Undergoes Reshoots". HN Entertainment. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
- Schaefer, Sandy (15 July 2019). "The King's Man Trailer & Poster Tease the Origins of the Kingsman". Screen Rant. Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- Anderson, Jenna. "New The King's Man Trailer Released". comicbook.com. Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- Ramos, Dino-Ray (22 June 2020). "'The King's Man' Trailer: Ralph Fiennes Brings Dapper Refinement To Action-Packed Prequel". Deadline. Retrieved 22 June 2020.
- "Pixar's 'Luca' to Skip Theaters and Debut as Disney+ Exclusive". TheWrap. 23 March 2021. Retrieved 23 March 2021.
- Kilkenny, Katie (22 September 2018). "'Kingsman 3' Lands Fall 2019 Release Date". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 18 November 2021.
- Jones, Marcus (19 June 2019). "The 'Kingsman' prequel is now known as 'The King's Man'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 20 June 2019.
- McClintock, Pamela (23 February 2019). "'Kingsman' Prequel Moves to Next February, Ryan Reynolds' 'Free Guy' Lands Summer 2020 Release". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (15 November 2019). "Disney Dates A Ton Of Pics Into 2023 & Juggles Fox Releases With Ridley Scott's 'The Last Duel' To Open Christmas 2020, 'The King's Man' Next Fall – Update". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- Rubin, Rebecca (27 August 2020). "'The King's Man' Theatrical Release Pushed Back to 2021". Variety. Retrieved 27 August 2020.
- "Disney Pushes 'Black Widow' Back to 2021". TheWrap. 23 September 2020. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (11 December 2020). "'Thor: Love & Thunder' & 'Black Panther 2′ Move Deeper Into 2022; Patty Jenkins' 'Star Wars' Pic Going 2023: Disney Updates Release Sked Post Investor Day". Deadline. Retrieved 11 December 2020.
- Rubin, Rebecca (22 January 2021). "'The King's Man,' 'Bob's Burgers' Among Latest Disney Film Delays". Variety. Retrieved 24 January 2021.
- "'Shang-Chi,' 'Free Guy,' 'The King's Man' and More Get New Release Dates at Disney". Movieweb. 23 March 2021. Retrieved 9 May 2021.
- Vary, Adam B.; Saperstein, Pat (10 September 2021). "Disney Releasing 'Eternals,' 'Encanto' Exclusively in Theaters". Variety. Archived from the original on 10 September 2021. Retrieved 10 September 2021.