The King Is Dead (Tony Cole song)
|"The King Is Dead"|
|Single by Tony Cole|
|from the album If The Music Stops|
|Format||7" vynil single|
|Label||20th Century (US)|
|Songwriter(s)||Tony Cole (words and music)|
"The King Is Dead" is a song written and originally recorded by Australian singer and songwriter Tony Cole. Produced by David McKay, it was part of Tony Cole's debut album If The Music Stops (1972). That year the song was also released as a single, with "Ruby" on the flip side.
Background and commercial performance
"The King Is Dead" was the second single released from Tony Cole's debut album If The Music Stops (1972). U.S. Billboard magazine picked the single for its "Radio Action and Pick Singles" section. The review was:
Second cut from his debuf LP is a more driving, commercial rhythm ballad loaded with Top 40 potential.
7" single 20th Century Records (1972, United States)
- A. "The King Is Dead" (2:52)
- B. "Ruby" (2:32)
7" single Jare International 410 067 EA (1977, France)
- A. "The King Is Dead"
- B. "Natural Dance"
Johnny Hallyday version (in French)
|Single by Johnny Hallyday|
Long Chris, Patrick Larue
|Johnny Hallyday singles chronology|
Several years later the song was adapted into French (under the title "Gabrielle") by Long Chris and Patrick Larue and recorded by Johnny Hallyday. His version was released as a single in 1976 and spent three consecutive weeks on the singles sales chart in France (from 16 September to 6 October).
|France (singles sales)||1|
|Belgium (Ultratop Back Catalog Singles Flanders)||20|
- Catalog of Copyright Entries: Third series. 1974. pp. 403–.
- Nielsen Business Media, Inc. (9 December 1972). Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. pp. 42–. ISSN 0006-2510.
- "Tony Cole (Chart history)". Billboard. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "Tony Cole - The King Is Dead (Vinyl) at Discogs". Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "Gabrielle - Johnny Hallyday - Hit-Parade.net". Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "ultratop.be - Johnny Hallyday - Gabrielle". Retrieved 2017-11-16.