The King and Four Queens
|The King and Four Queens|
|Directed by||Raoul Walsh|
|Produced by||David Hempstead|
|Screenplay by||Margaret Fitts
Richard Alan Simmons
Jo Van Fleet
|Music by||Alex North|
|Edited by||David Bretherton
Louis R. Loeffler
|Distributed by||United Artists|
|Box office||$2.25 million|
The King and Four Queens is a 1956 DeLuxe Color American Western adventure comedy/mystery film starring Clark Gable and Eleanor Parker in CinemaScope. Directed by Raoul Walsh, the film is based on a story written by Margaret Fitts, who also wrote the screenplay along with Richard Alan Simmons.
This film was the first (and last) project from Clark Gable's own production company, GABCO.
The story involves a middle-aged cowboy adventurer (Clark Gable) who learns that a stolen fortune remains buried on a ranch that serves as home to four gorgeous young widows and their battle-axe mother-in-law; the drifter turns on the charm.
- Clark Gable as Dan Kehoe
- Eleanor Parker as Sabina McDade
- Jean Willes as Ruby McDade
- Barbara Nichols as Birdie McDade
- Sara Shane as Oralie McDade
- Jo Van Fleet as Ma McDade
- Roy Roberts as Sheriff Tom Larrabee
- Arthur Shields as Padre
- Jay C. Flippen as Bartender of Rosebud Saloon in Touchstone
At Clark Gable's request, the film was shot on location in southern Utah because he was familiar with the area, having hunted there for years. Footage was shot near St. George, Utah in Snow Canyon State Park and at the Santa Clara River. Additional footage was shot in Calabasas, California.
- "Top Grosses of 1957", Variety, 8 January 1958: 30
- Shoilveska Henderson, Sanya (2009). Alex North, Film Composer: A Biography with Musical Analyses of a Streetcar Named Desire, Spartacus, The Misfits, Under the Volcano, and Prizzi's Honor. McFarland. p. 221. ISBN 0-786-44333-2.
- D'Arc, James (2010). When Hollywood Came to Town: A History of Movie Making in Utah. Gibbs Smith. pp. 98, 289. ISBN 1-423-61984-6.
- Williams, Paul, ed. (2003). And Now the News . . .: Volume IX: The Complete Stories of Theodore Sturgeon. North Atlantic Books. p. 375. ISBN 1-556-43460-X.
- The King and Four Queens on Internet Movie Database
- The King and Four Queens at AllMovie
- The King and Four Queens at the TCM Movie Database
- The King and Four Queens at the American Film Institute Catalog
|This 1950s Western film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|