The Krays (film)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2015)
|Directed by||Peter Medak|
|Produced by||Dominic Anciano|
|Written by||Philip Ridley|
|Music by||Michael Kamen|
|Edited by||Martin Walsh|
|Distributed by||Rank Film Distributors (UK) Miramax (United States)|
The Krays is a 1990 British biographical crime drama film directed by Peter Medak. The film is based on the lives and crimes of the British gangster twins Ronald and Reginald Kray, often referred to as The Krays. The film stars Billie Whitelaw, Tom Bell, Gary Kemp and his real life younger brother Martin Kemp, who were both members of the new wave band Spandau Ballet.
The film charts the lives of the Kray twins from childhood to adult life. The plot focuses on the relationship between the twins and their doting mother (Whitelaw). Ronald (Gary Kemp) is the dominant one, influencing his brother Reginald (Martin Kemp) to perform several acts of violence as they rise to power as the leaders of a powerful organised gang in 1960s London.
- Billie Whitelaw as Violet Kray
- Tom Bell as Jack McVitie
- Gary Kemp as Ronnie Kray
- Martin Kemp as Reggie Kray
- Susan Fleetwood as Rose
- Charlotte Cornwell as May
- Kate Hardie as Frances
- Avis Bunnage as Helen
- Alfred Lynch as Charlie Kray Sr.
- Gary Love as Steve
- Steven Berkoff as George Cornell
- Jimmy Jewel as Cannonball Lee
- Barbara Ferris as Mrs. Lawson
- Victor Spinetti as Mr. Lawson
- John McEnery as Eddie Pellam
The Krays holds a rating of 81% on Rotten Tomatoes based on 16 reviews.
The film made £3,707,649 at the UK box office .
- Nominee Best Supporting Actress - BAFTA (Billie Whitelaw)
- Winner Best Film - Evening Standard British Film Awards (Peter Medak)
- Winner Most Promising Newcomer - Evening Standard British Film Awards (Philip Ridley)
- Winner Best Actress - International Fantasy Film Awards (Fantasporto) (Billie Whitelaw)
- Nominee Best Film - International Fantasy Film Awards (Fantasporto) (Peter Medak)
- Winner George Delerue Prize for Music - Ghent International Film Festival (Michael Kamen)
- Maslin, Janet (9 November 1990). "The Krays (1990) Review/Film; Twin Thugs With a Mother Complex". The New York Times.
- "Back to the Future: The Fall and Rise of the British Film Industry in the 1980s - An Information Briefing" (PDF). British Film Institute. 2005. p. 25.