The Lady Is a Tramp
|"The Lady Is a Tramp"|
|Song from Babes in Arms by Mitzi Green|
"The Lady Is a Tramp" is a show tune from the 1937 Rodgers and Hart musical Babes in Arms in which it was introduced by former child star Mitzi Green. This song is a spoof of New York high society and its strict etiquette (the first line of the verse is "I get too hungry for dinner at eight..."). It has become a popular standard.
Early recordings from 1937 include one by Tommy Dorsey and His Orchestra (featuring Edythe Wright on vocals), Midge Williams and Her Jazz Jesters, Sophie Tucker, and Bernie Cummins on the Vocalion records label (#3714). Lena Horne recorded the song with the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studio Orchestra on March 30, 1948. Her performance appeared in the film, Words and Music, a fictionalized biography of the partnership of Rodgers and Hart. The song was also used in the film version of Pal Joey starring Frank Sinatra, Rita Hayworth and Kim Novak. Joey Evans (Sinatra) sings the song to Vera Simpson (Hayworth) as he tries to entice the wealthy widow Simpson into financing Evans's dream of owning his own night club. It was recorded by Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald in 1950s and Shirley Bassey in the 1960s, becoming a signature song for Sinatra. Diana Ross & The Supremes recorded a new cover in the 1960s too. Buddy Greco's version was a million seller in the 50s. Deana Martin, daughter of Dean Martin, recorded “The Lady Is A Tramp” in 2006. The song was released on her album "Memories Are Made of This" in 2006 by Big Fish Records.
Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga duet
|"The Lady Is a Tramp"|
|Single by Tony Bennett featuring Lady Gaga|
|from the album Duets II|
|Released||October 3, 2011|
|Format||Digital download, airplay|
|Recorded||March 23, 2011
Abbey Road Studios
|Label||Sony Music Entertainment|
|Tony Bennett singles chronology|
Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga recorded a version of this song for his 2011 album Duets II. Bennett praised Gaga's performance in the song, saying that she is a real "jazz lady". They performed the song live on ABC's Thanksgiving special dedicated to, written, directed, produced and hosted by Gaga entitled A Very Gaga Thanksgiving. They were the opening number, singing next to an old piano in a casual obscure room. Bennett said, "I see in Lady Gaga a touch of theatrical genius, she is very creative and very productive, I think as time goes on she might be America's Picasso. I think she's going to become as big as Elvis Presley."  The song, even though not officially released got to enter the Japan Hot 100, where it has managed to enter the top 40 and it has also entered the top 200 extension to the UK Singles Chart.
Following the single, Bennett drew a sketch of Gaga naked for the January 2012 issue of Vanity Fair, which was then auctioned for $30,000. The money raised went to charity, supporting the Exploring the Arts (ETA) and Born This Way Foundation.
The song as well as the video received critical acclaim for the vocals of both Bennett and Gaga as well as for the simplicity of the video, which departs from Gaga's usual efforts. The song received praise from both E! and MTV. Other critics expressed hopes that Gaga would release her own jazz music after this successful effort.
The duo filmed a music video for the track. The video shows Bennett and Gaga singing "The Lady Is a Tramp" together in a studio in front of music stands. The video, like the song's lyrical content, received largely positive critical reception.
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||16|
|Japan (Japan Hot 100)||33|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||188|
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||21|
|US Jazz Digital Songs (Billboard)||1|
|United States||September 20, 2011||Digital download|
|France||October 3, 2011|
|United Kingdom||November 5, 2011||Mainstream radio|
- Lady and the Tramp (animated feature film)
- "'A Very Gaga Thanksgiving': 5 Things We Want to See". Aoltv.com. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- Kaufman, Gil (2011-11-04). "Lady Gaga To Host Thanksgiving Special". MTV News. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- "New Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga – "The Lady Is A Tramp" Video". The Audio Perv. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- Zywietz, Tobias. "Chart Log UK – Update 15.10.2011". Zobbel. Retrieved 2011-11-12.
- Fair, Vanity. "Tony Bennett's Nude Lady Gaga Sketch Auctioned for $30,000". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "Lady Gaga "Tramps" It Up With Tony Bennett in New Music Video". E!. 2011-10-03. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- 08/18/2011 19:33:21 (2011-10-03). "Lady Gaga, Tony Bennett 'Tramp' It Up In New Video – Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "Lady Gaga Is A Broadway Baby On Tony Bennett Duet 'The Lady Is A Tramp' | Music News, Reviews, and Gossip on". Idolator.com. 2011-09-15. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- "Lady Gaga, Tony Bennett unveil 'The Lady Is a Tramp' video – Music News". Digital Spy. 2011-10-03. Retrieved 2011-10-15.
- "Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga’s ‘The Lady is a Tramp’ [Video]". Fresh1027.radio.com. 2012-02-19. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "The Lady Is A Tramp Video: Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga". HypeTune.com. 2011-10-04. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "Ultratop.be – Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga – The Lady Is A Tramp" (in Dutch). Ultratip. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "Lady Gaga – Chart history" Japan Hot 100 for Lady Gaga. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "Lady Gaga – Chart history" Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 for Lady Gaga. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "Jazz Digital Songs: October 8, 2011". Billboard. Retrieved August 9, 2014.
- "The Lady Is A Tramp: Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- Steffen Hung. "Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga – The Lady Is A Tramp". lescharts.com. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "BBC – Radio 2 – Playlist – Week Commencing: November 5, 2011". BBC Radio 2. November 5, 2011. Archived from the original on November 2, 2011.