The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway Tour
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Concert by Genesis|
|Associated album||The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway|
|Start date||20 November 1974|
|End date||22 May 1975|
|No. of shows||104 (108 scheduled)|
|Genesis concert chronology|
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway Tour was a North American and European concert tour by English rock band Genesis. It began on November 1974 in Chicago, ended on 22 May 1975 in Besançon, France, and promoted their 1974 concept album of the same name. At each show, the album was played in its entirety, with one or two older songs as encores. The group's final tour with singer and cofounder Peter Gabriel, it was marked by extensive theatricality, with multiple costumes worn by Gabriel, three backdrop screens that displayed 1,450 slides from eight projectors, laser lighting, and practical effects.
"Phil Collins hated the 'slipperman' outfit," Gabriel admitted to Mark Blake. "In fact, the whole band did, especially the fact that it had these huge inflatable testicles… But I was acting out a character and the audience were getting off on it. I was the interpreter between the band and the audience. Actually, Phil always appreciated that, but I don't think the others always did."
- "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"
- "Fly on a Windshield"
- "Broadway Melody of 1974"
- "Cuckoo Cocoon"
- "In the Cage"
- "The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging"
- "Back in N.Y.C."
- "Hairless Heart"
- "Counting Out Time"
- "The Carpet Crawlers"
- "The Chamber of 32 Doors"
- "Lilywhite Lilith"
- "The Waiting Room"
- "Here Comes the Supernatural Anaesthetist"
- "The Lamia"
- "Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats"
- "The Colony of Slippermen"
- "The Light Dies Down on Broadway"
- "Riding the Scree"
- "In the Rapids"
Other songs performed during this tour were:
- Peter Gabriel – lead vocals, flute, varied instruments, "experiments with foreign sounds"
- Tony Banks – Hammond T-102 organ, RMI 368x Electra Piano and Harpsichord, Mellotron M-400, ARP Pro Soloist synthesizer, Elka Rhapsody string synthesizer
- Steve Hackett – acoustic and electric guitars
- Mike Rutherford – bass guitar, bass pedals, 12-string guitar
- Phil Collins – drums, percussion, vibraphone, backing vocals; second lead vocal on "The Colony of Slippermen"
- "Genesis – The Movement – Gig Guide: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway Tour (Oct 1974 – May 1975)". Genesis-Movement.org.
- "Genesis – The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway Tour". TheGenesisArchive.co.uk.
- Blake, Mark (December 2011). "Cash for questions: Peter Gabriel". Q. p. 44.
- "Genesis – The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway Tour (20/11/1974 – 27/5/1975)". BluesNaggletooth12.com.
- "Search for setlists: artist:(Genesis) tour:(The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway Tour) – setlist.fm". Setlist.fm.
- Genesis: A History (1991)