The Land That Time Forgot (2009 film)
This article does not cite any sources. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|The Land That Time Forgot|
|Directed by||C. Thomas Howell|
|Produced by||David Michael Latt|
|Screenplay by||Darren Dalton|
Edgar Rice Burroughs
C. Thomas Howell|
|Edited by||Brian Brinkman|
|Distributed by||The Asylum|
The Land That Time Forgot (promotionally titled Edgar Rice Burrough's The Land That Time Forgot, release in other countries as Dinosaur Island) is a 2009 science fiction film by independent American film studio The Asylum. The film is an adaptation of the 1918 Edgar Rice Burroughs novel of the same name, and a re-make of the 1975 film starring Doug McClure.
The film takes place in the present, when two newlywed couples are enjoying a charter boat cruise through the Caribbean. Passing through a bizarre storm, they emerge off the shore of the mysterious island of Caprona.
The island, which seems to exist within a time void inside the Bermuda Triangle, is full of anachronistic inhabitants, including dinosaurs and a crew of a stranded German U-Boat. The newlyweds, along with the charter boat's captain and the Germans, must battle a variety of obstacles to escape from the island and get back to their own time.
At first the plan is to rescue a woman named Karen from the Germans and then take their boat away, but their guides Jude and Conrad betray them and steal the boat, leaving them to the Germans. Eventually, the captain convinces the Germans to work together to get off the island. They are able to free the U-Boat and make diesel fuel from oil on the island. Unfortunately, Frost is left behind as he can't get to the sub in time and his wife Karen joins him on the island again. The sub gets away, but it is unclear if it ever returned to civilization. Frost writes down his story and puts in a thermos and throws it in the ocean. He and Karen have found a life on the island and Karen is pregnant.
- C. Thomas Howell as Frost Michaels
- Timothy Bottoms as Captain Burroughs
- Darren Dalton as Cole Stevens
- Stephen Blackehart as Lonzo
- Lindsey McKeon as Lindsey Stevens
- Anya Benton as Karen Michaels
- Christopher Showerman as Stack
- Patrick Gorman as Conrad
- Scott Subiono as Zander
- David Stevens as Jude
- Lew Knopp as Cooper
- Christian Stoehr as Lukas
- Jonathan Sanders as Oliver
The Land That Time Forgot received mixed reviews from critics and audiences. There's no approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes but the Want-To-See score is currently 38%. As with many recent Asylum films, this might be considered a low budget mockbuster, made to capitalize on a larger-budgeted film with a similar name - in this case the 2009 film Land of the Lost. However, some critics[who?] and audiences have rated this film as better than Land of the Lost.
- The Land That Time Forgot - A 1975 film starring Doug McClure
- The Land That Time Forgot - The 1918 novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs.
- Princess of Mars - another film by The Asylum based on books by Edgar Rice Burroughs, released in the same year.
- War of the Worlds 2: The Next Wave - Another Asylum film starring and directed by C. Thomas Howell, who also appeared in the previous film H. G. Wells' War of the Worlds.
- The Day the Earth Stopped another science fiction film by The Asylum starring and directed by C. Thomas Howell