Don Brown (author)
Don Brown speaking at the Israeli 911 Memorial, Jerusalem, Israel on March 21, 2016
June 3, 1960|
Plymouth, North Carolina, U.S.
|Occupation||Author; Attorney; Former Naval Officer|
|Alma mater||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill|
|Genre||Thriller, Fiction, Non-Fiction, History, Biography, Military|
|Notable works||Treason, Black Sea Affair, Malacca Conspiracy, Call Sign Extortion 17: The Shoot-Down of SEAL Team Six, The Last Fighter Pilot: The True Story of the Final Combat Mission of World War II|
|Children||Mary Claire Brown, Caroline Mitchell Brown, Graham Hardison Brown|
|Service/||United States Navy|
Donald Mitchell Brown, Jr. (born June 3, 1960) is an American author of thirteen published books, including eleven published novels, and two works of military non-fiction, Call Sign Extortion 17: The Shoot-Down of SEAL Team Six and the national bestseller,The Last Fighter Pilot: The True Story of the Final Combat Mission of World War II.  He is perhaps best known for his bestselling novel, Treason  released by Zondervan Publishing Company in 2005, and by his non-fiction military expose, Call Sign Extortion 17: The Shoot-Down of SEAL Team Six, released by Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Company in 2015. Treason explored the issues and dangers of radical Islamic infiltration in the US military.Call Sign Extortion 17 is a non-fiction account of the 2011 Chinook shootdown in Afghanistan of U.S.Navy SEAL Team, with Brown contending that the SEAL's deaths were caused, in part, because of "politically-correct" rules of engagement. 
Early life and education
Born in Plymouth, North Carolina, United States, Brown is a Washington County, North Carolina native currently living in Charlotte, North Carolina, Brown received his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and received a Juris Doctor degree from Campbell University's Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law.
Brown spent five years in the U.S. Navy as an officer in the Judge Advocate General's Corps (JAG). He continued his studies at the United States Naval War College in Newport, Rhode Island, earning the Navy's nonresident certificate in International Law. While serving as a JAG officer in the Pentagon in 1992, Brown was published in the US Navy Law Review, drafting a legal position paper instructing United States Military Lawyers on defending against temporary injunctions filed against the military. The published article in the prestigious Naval Law Review would become Brown's very first publication. While serving as a U.S. Navy JAG officer, Brown was appointed Special Assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of California.
Brown is author of Zondervan's Navy Justice Series: including Treason (2005), Hostage (2005), Defiance (2006), and Black Sea Affair, released in 2008. His fifth novel, Malacca Conspiracy, a novel in which terrorists launch attacks against oil tankers in the Malacca Straights, was released in 2010.
Brown's sixth novel, Thunder in the Morning Calm, a novel that explores the question of whether American servicemen who were listed as MIAs may still be alive in North Korea from the Korean War, was released in the summer of 2011.
Thunder in the Morning Calm was the first novel released in Zondervan's Pacific Rim Series, and Brown has stated in interviews that he penned the novel in part to bring attention to the issue of Americans left behind in North Korean prison camps at the end of the Korean War.
Call Sign Extortion 17
On August 6, 2011, three months after members of Navy SEAL Team Six killed Osama Bin Laden, Taliban forces took down a United States helicopter, call sign "Extortion 17." The attack killed the Air National guard crew, along with seven unidentified members of the Afghan military, and seventeen members of Navy SEAL Team Six, warrior brothers from the same Team that had killed Osama Bin Laden just ninety days prior.
In the book, entitled Call Sign Extortion 17: The Shoot-Down of SEAL Team Six, published by Rowman & Littlefield in 2015, Don Brown retells the wartime action, explains the life stories of the service members killed that day, and examines the official military explanation of the incident contained in the infamous Colt Report. Don Brown asserts that the series of events reveal either gross incompetence or a massive cover-up.
The Last Fighter Pilot
On March 17, 2017, Regnery Publishing, an imprint of Salem Media Group announced the release of Brown's new work of non-fiction entitled The Last Fighter Pilot: The True Story of the Final Combat Mission of World War II. The book features the true story of Captain Jerry Yellin, U.S. Army Air Force, who flew the final combat mission of World War II over Japan on August 15, 1945, rom Iwo Jima, and focuses on the last six months of the air war against Japan, flown by American fighter pilots who were stationed on Iwo Jima, who arrived on the island in March 1945, and remained there until the war's end. On July 29, 2017, the New York Post included the book on its "must read" list for books. Brown and Yellin appeared together to kick off the book's release at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library on August 1, 2017. They appeared again together on August 3, 2017, at the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum in Yorba Linda, California to discuss the book and Yellin's experiences in the war.
On March 23, 2018, Newsmax Media named Brown as among the "25 Best Nonfiction Military Authors" in the United States. On June 11, 2018, the popular magazine and website Townhall named Last Fighter Pilot as one of "10 World War II Books Every American Should Read." 
Navy Justice Series
- Treason (Zondervan Publishing, 2005)ISBN 0310259339
- Hostage (Zondervan Publishing, 2006)ISBN 0310259347
- Defiance (Zondervan Publishing, 2007)ISBN 0310272130
- Black Sea Affair (Zondervan Publishing, 2007)ISBN 0310272149
- Malacca Conspiracy (Zondervan Publishing 2010) ISBN 0310272157 
- Destiny (Mountainview Books, LLC, 2014)ISBN 9781941291061 (WWII historical Prequel to series)
Pacific Rim Series
- Thunder in the Morning Calm (Zondervan Publishing, 2011)ISBN 0310330149
- Fire of the Raging Dragon (Zondervan Publishing, 2012)ISBN 9780310410447
- Storming the Black Ice (Harper Collins Publishing, 2014)ISBN 9780310410454
Navy JAG Series
- Detained (Harper Collins Publishing, 2015)ISBN 9780310338055
- Code 13 (Zondervan Publishing, 2016)ISBN 0310338077 
- Call Sign Extortion 17: The Shoot-Down of SEAL Team Six (Rowman & Littlefield Publishing, through Lyons Press - 2015) ISBN 1493007467
- The Last Fighter Pilot: The True Story of the Final Combat Mission of World War II (Salem Media Group, through Regnery Publishing - 2017) ISBN 1621575063
US Navy Publications
- Temporary Injunctions Aimed at the Military: A Rapid Response Plan for Government Lawyers, by Lieutenant Donald M. Brown, Jr. JAGC, USNR, 40 Naval L. Rev. 157 (1992)
Don Brown is also an attorney licensed in North and South Carolina. He is the owner of Brown & Associates, PLLC, a law firm located in Charlotte, NC, where he practices law in the areas of Civil Litigation, Criminal Defense, Family Law, and Estate Planning.
- List of American novelists
- List of thriller writers
- List of United States Navy people
- List of military writers
- List of University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill alumni
- Brown, Don (22 December 2017). "The Malacca Conspiracy". Zondervan. Retrieved 22 December 2017 – via Google Books.
- "50 Years of 'Christy' - Why Catherine Marshall's Classic Endures - Family Fiction". Family Fiction. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- http://www.washingtontimes.com, The Washington Times. "Jerry Yellin details his military experience in 'The Last Fighter Pilot'". Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Larry Elder Radio Show Hour 1 08/02/2017". Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- New York Times article on death of Captain Jerry Yellin, by Richard Goldstein, referencing the book The Last Fighter Pilot: The True Story of the Final Combat Mission of World War II- December 24, 2017
- Washington Post article on death of Captain Jerry Yellin, by Harrison Smith, referencing the book The Last Fighter Pilot: The True Story of the Final Combat Mission of World War II- December 21, 2017
- Military Times article on death of Captain Jerry Yellin, by Charlsy Panzino , referencing the book The Last Fighter Pilot: The True Story of the Final Combat Mission of World War II- January 3, 2018
- "Treason: Book One in Don Brown's Navy Justice Series - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com". 28 July 2014. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- Poling, Dean. "Book review: 'Treason' and 'Hostage' / Don Brown". Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- Don Brown (13 June 2015). "Hannity Interview Karen Vaughn & Don Brown". Retrieved 22 December 2017 – via YouTube.
- "Nonfiction Book Review: Call Sign Extortion 17: The Shoot-Down of SEAL Team Six by Don Brown. Globe Pequot/Lyons, $24.95 (304p) ISBN 978-1-4930-0746-2". Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "EPISODE #33: Author/fmr JAG officer Don Brown & hacker/technologist Ken Westin". BlogTalkRadio. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "The Watchman: "ISIS in Your Backyard"". CBN.com - The Christian Broadcasting Network. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- Was the Greatest loss in the Afghan War an insider attack? - New York Post, June 14, 2015, by Don Brown
- "Apr2014". Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Law - Campbell University". Law. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- Volume 40, United State Naval Law Review, showing article by LT Donald Brown, JAGC, USNR, beginning at p. 157
- "N.C. author to sign books Saturday, brown, book, military - Archive - ENCToday". 10 July 2011. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- Barton College Hackney Library Guest Lecturers 2007
- "Indonesia intrigue, Tokyo high-tech high jinx - The Japan Times". Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Author donates autographed books to Reuben James Sailors : Hookele – Pearl Harbor – Hickam News". www.hookelenews.com. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Charlotte author signs books for Navy crew". 21 July 2011. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Family Fiction Magazine -- Heroism and Heartache; Three Authors Who Write Military Fiction by Rel Mollet -- November, December 2011 (p. 26 of 66)". Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "HarperCollins US". www.harpercollins.com. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "World Magazine -- Debt and Destruction:Books:Insights into America's Rise Illuminate the Causes of her Unraveling, by Marvin Olasky -- November 30, 2012". Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "New Book Foretelling Fictional Military Showdown Gets Grand Haven Residents Talking About Propaganda". Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- UK Daily Mail (London) - Inside Trump's Air Force and Naval Bases on Guam, by Caroline Graham, August 12, 2017, referencing the novel Fire of the Raging Dragon, by Don Brown, and the U.S. Warship USS Emory S. Land (AS-39)
- Enter The Buzzsaw (6 May 2016). "Seal Team 6 Helicopter Conspiracy: Death and Cover Up of Bin Laden's Killers". Retrieved 22 December 2017 – via YouTube.
- "WHO DOUBLE-CROSSED THE SEALS?". www.alipac.us. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "World War II "Last Fighter Pilot" Capt. Jerry Yellin on War and Survival - Soldier of Fortune Magazine". Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Regnery Publishing: More Than Just Politics". Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- Don Brown Interview on WRKF (NPR Affiliate Baton Rouge) with Jim Engster on Captain Jerry Yellin, and WWII, August 1, 2017
- "8/1/17 - Hour 1 - The Morning Blaze with Doc Thompson - Omny.fm". omny.fm. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- Don Brown quoted in 'People Magazine' on Captain Jerry Yellin and the book Last Fighter Pilot, People Magazine online, August 4, 2018
- "Brandon Vogt with Don Brown "The Last Fighter Pilot"". audioBoom. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Mike speaks with Don Brown, author of, "The Last Fighter Pilot." - The Mike Gallagher Show". 17 July 2017. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "WWII's 'last fighter pilot' relives fateful flight — and the PTSD that followed". 28 May 2017. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Lecture and Book Signing with Don Brown and Jerry Yellin - The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation & Institute". www.reaganfoundation.org. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- ReaganFoundation (1 August 2017). "A Reagan Forum and Book Signing with Don Brown and Jerry Yellin — 8/1/2017". Retrieved 22 December 2017 – via YouTube.
- "WWII Veteran Befriends Japanese Kamikaze Pilot". Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Richard Nixon Foundation". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- Richard Nixon Foundation, Youtube Channel, showing appearance of Don Brown & Jerry Yellin discuss the book LAST FIGHTER PILOT, Richard Nixon Presidential Library, August 3, 2017, published April 18, 2018.
- "Publishers Weekly National Besteller's List, Dated August 14, 2017 showing hardback nonfiction bestseller's list, at page 11 (showing Last Fighter Pilot at #25)". Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- Newsmax's 25 Best Nonfiction Military Authors, March 23, 2018
- "10 World War II Books Every American Should Read," TownHall Magazine and website, June 11, 2018
- "Fiction Book Review: The Malacca Conspiracy by Don Brown, Zondervan, $14.99 paper (352p) ISBN 978-0-310-27215-1". Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Fiction Book Review: Code 13: The Navy JAG Series, Book 2 by Don Brown. Zondervan, $15.99 trade paper (400p) ISBN 978-0-310-33807-9". Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Brown & Associates, Pllc in Charlotte, Nc". Brown & Associates, PLLC. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Don Brown (author)|