The Last Internationale
|The Last Internationale|
|Origin||New York City, New York, United States|
|Genres||Folk rock, Alternative rock, indie rock, punk blues|
|Labels||Independent, formerly Epic|
|Associated acts||Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave|
Delila Paz (2008-present)|
Edgey Pires (2008-present)
The group is known for its socially-conscious lyrics and strong live performances. Ben Hugues at Uber Rock says that "Live, they are an explosive ball of energy with perfect soulful vocals from Delila and rock 'n' roll chaos from the fingers of Edgey, a man who literally rips the strings from his guitar on a nightly basis." The duo started writing protest song and playing small gigs when Pires was studying for a degree in political science. He mentions Howlin' Wolf, Bob Dylan, Pete Seeger, Buffy Sainte-Marie and Woody Guthrie among their musical influences.
|“||Live, they are an explosive ball of energy with perfect soulful vocals||”|
|— Ben Hugues, Uber Rock|
The group can get very political, with songs about the situation of the First Nations in the United States, war, working class poverty and the abuse of power. A streak of hope runs through the revolutionary lyrics. Says Pires: "The point of the song Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Indian Blood, is that ultimately it will be the youth who free society, whether it’s the inner child in us or the actual youth who just get so sick of this whole mess that we’re in. The American Revolution was supposed to liberate people and it just ended up oppressing many for hundreds of years after and the song is about how the youth are going to take all the risks and ultimately take over. We’re promoting total liberation and we can achieve it in our lifetime, that’s optimistic!" Paz has always been an environmentalist: "Very early in my life, I think grade school. I started getting involved with Green Peace and environmental causes around 3rd grade. I knew that we weren’t living in a very natural way. I used to get little kid books that were about indigenous cultures and felt that we should live as nomads."
|“||Ultimately it will be the youth who free society, whether it’s the inner child in us or the actual youth who just get so sick of this whole mess.||”|
|— Edgey Pires, Louder than War interview|
|“||I started getting involved with Green Peace and environmental causes around 3rd grade.||”|
|— Delila Paz, Rooster interview|
In January 2013, they released a 5-song EP titled "New York, I Do Mind Dying". Rage Against the Machine guitarist Tom Morello introduced the band to his bandmate, drummer Brad Wilk, who subsequently joined the band. Their debut album, We Will Reign, was released on August 19, 2014. The album was produced by Brendan O'Brien and Brendan Benson. That was to be their last production with Epic Records (a Sony label), with which they broke to preserve their editorial independence.
The band made their network television debut on August 27, 2014, playing "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Indian Blood" on the Late Show with David Letterman. They opened for Robert Plant in the fall of 2014 to support his Lullaby and... The Ceaseless Roar tour.
Bootleg Kills... vol1, released in 2016, is a mostly acoustic collection of covers, outtakes and other bits and pieces.
Their next studio album was to be released in January, 2018.
- Studio Albums
- We Will Reign (2014)
- Soul on Fire (scheduled January 2018)
- Extended Plays
- New York, I Do Mind Dying (2013)
- "The Last Internationale takes folk roots seriously". thestar.com. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- Hugues, Ben (January 13, 2016). "The Last Internationale - 'This Bootleg Kills...Vol 1' (Self Released)". Uberrock. Archived from the original on December 25, 2017. Retrieved December 25, 2017.
- Jennings, Dave (December 15, 2014). "The Last Internationale: Interview – Edgey Pires talks politics and protest". Louder than War. Archived from the original on December 25, 2017. Retrieved December 25, 2017.
- Morris, McClain (September 29, 2014). "Artist Interview: No big deal or anything, but The Last Internationale is on tour with Robert Plant". Roster. Archived from the original on December 25, 2017. Retrieved December 25, 2017.
- "The Last Internationale Have a Few Points to Make". Yahoo Music. 18 August 2014. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- "Soul On Fire". Pledge Music. Archived from the original on Dec 24, 2017. Retrieved Dec 24, 2017.
- "Watch the Last Internationale Debut on 'The Late Show'". Diffuser.fm. Retrieved 19 October 2014.