The Last Temptation (Alice Cooper album)
|The Last Temptation|
|Studio album by|
|Released||July 12, 1994|
|Genre||Hard rock, heavy metal|
|Producer||Don Fleming, Duane Baron, John Purdell, Andy Wallace|
|Alice Cooper chronology|
The Last Temptation is the 20th studio album by rock singer Alice Cooper, released in July 1994 via Epic Records. It centers on a boy named Steven (also the name of the protagonist in Cooper's earlier work, Welcome to My Nightmare), and a mysterious showman. The showman, with apparent supernatural abilities, attempted with the use of twisted versions of morality plays to persuade Steven to join his traveling show, "The Theater of the Real - The Grand-est Guignol!", where he would "never grow up".
The full story was given in a 3-part comic book written by Neil Gaiman, the first part of which accompanied the recording. In the comic, the showman (referred to only ever as such) was depicted as Cooper himself. Pages from the comic are seen in the Lost in America music video, while it is being read by Steven.
Music videos were made for "Lost in America" and "It's Me". Both music videos are available for download from Sony/BMG.
Barry Weber of allmusic.com wrote, "By the time The Last Temptation was released in 1994, the hair band fad that had fueled Cooper's return was dead, and Cooper was obviously aware of its downfall -- the album sounds almost nothing like its two predecessors (1989's Trash and 1991's Hey Stoopid). Far surpassing anything Cooper recorded in almost 20 years, The Last Temptation is unquestionably some of his best work."
|1.||"Sideshow"||Alice Cooper, Brian Smith, Michael Brooks, Jon Norwood, Dan Wexler, Bud Saylor||6:39|
|2.||"Nothing's Free"||Cooper, Wexler, Saylor, Bob Pfeifer||5:01|
|3.||"Lost in America"||Cooper, Wexler, Pfeifer||3:54|
|4.||"Bad Place Alone"||Cooper, Wexler, Pfeifer||5:04|
|5.||"You're My Temptation"||Cooper, Jack Blades, Tommy Shaw||5:09|
|6.||"Stolen Prayer"||Chris Cornell, Cooper||5:37|
|8.||"Lullaby"||Cooper, Jim Vallance||4:28|
|9.||"It's Me"||Cooper, Blades, Shaw||4:39|
|10.||"Cleansed by Fire"||Cooper, Mark Hudson, Steve Dudas, Pfeifer||6:12|
- Alice Cooper – vocals
- Stef Burns – guitar, background vocals
- Greg Smith – bass, background vocals
- Derek Sherinian – keyboards, background vocals
- David Uosikkinen – drums
- Additional personnel
- Chris Cornell – vocals on "Stolen Prayer" and "Unholy War"
- Dan Wexler – guitar on "Lost In America"
- John Purdell – keyboards on "You're My Temptation", "Lullaby" and "It's Me"
- Lou Merlino – background vocals
- Mark Hudson – background vocals
- Craig Copeland – background vocals
- Brett Hudson – background vocals
- Sandow, Greg (June 10, 1994). "The Last Temptation". Entertainment Weekly. Time. Retrieved January 26, 2014.
- Maconie, Stuart. "Review: Alice Cooper, The Last Temptation". Q. EMAP Metro Ltd (Q95, August 1994): 100.
- Eddy, Chuck (July 14, 1994). "Review: Alice Cooper - The Last Temptation". Jann Wenner. Retrieved 13 August 2009.
- Gaiman's page on the comic
- Addicted to Comics #12 - Alice in Marvel-land
- Gaiman, Neil; Michael Zulli, and Alice Cooper (1994). The Last Temptation. New York: Dark Horse Comics. ISBN 1-56971-455-X.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)