The Late Night Alternative
|Running time||180 minutes (9:00 pm–12:00 am)|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Original release||21 March 2016– present|
|Audio format||Stereophonic sound|
The programme was first broadcast on British radio station Talkradio between March 2016 and June 2020, and won several Audio and Radio Industry Awards, including 'Best Speech Presenter – Non-Breakfast' for Lee. In July 2020, Lee and Boyle announced the programme's return via Twitch, with the first episode airing on 20 July.
In May 2017, Lee and Boyle created a record for a phone-in British radio show when they took over 150 calls in one three hour show, after announcing anyone could call and would be put through straight to air. The attempt to take a world record 200 calls failed when the phone system broke down due to the amount of callers attempting to get through.
On 19 December 2018, a man called the show after taking an overdose. Lee kept the man on the line and directed the emergency services to his location, with many on social media praising Lee's decisive actions. Lee revealed on 24 December 2018 that the man had survived and was now back home after receiving specialist treatment for two days. Lee and Boyle were later awarded a Gold in the 'Moment of the Year' category at the 2020 Audio and Radio Industry Awards for this call.
On 2 June 2020, Lee announced his contract at Talkradio would not be renewed, having presented his final program the previous evening. On 10 July, the pair issued a press release confirming they had been signed by internet streaming service Twitch, and would re-launch the program on 20 July.
Awards and nominations
Audio and Radio Industry Awards
|Year||Nominee / work||Award||Result|
|2017||Iain Lee||Best Speech Presenter – Non-Breakfast||Gold|
|2020||"Overdosing man calls Iain Lee"||RadioTimes Moment of the Year||Gold|
|Iain Lee||Best Speech Presenter||Shortlisted|
- Lee, Iain [@iainlee] (10 July 2020). "Here's the exciting press release for #TLNA with me AND @FlippinKath launches July 20th at 9pm" (Tweet). Retrieved 10 July 2020 – via Twitter.
- Lee, Iain (26 May 2017). Withheld, Straight to Air Calls All Night - Late Nights with Iain Lee on talkRADIO.
- "Iain Lee intervenes to help Plymouth overdose man". BBC News. 20 December 2018. Retrieved 30 December 2018.
- "Iain Lee says 'dying' Plymouth man who called him is 'back home'". BBC News. 26 December 2018. Retrieved 30 December 2018.
- "Greg James and Dotty win big at 'radio Oscars'". BBC News. 5 March 2020. Retrieved 10 July 2020.
- "Iain Lee announces departure from talkRADIO after 4 years". RadioToday. 2 June 2020.
- "Audio Radio Industry Awards 2017 – winners". RadioToday.co.uk. Retrieved 20 October 2017.
- "Audio and Radio Industry Awards 2020 – Winners". RadioToday.co.uk. Retrieved 4 March 2020.