Leading Hotels of the World
LHW is headquartered in New York City, US and maintains offices in 25 cities worldwide.
The company was established in 1928 under the name "Luxury Hotels of Europe and Egypt". It initially had 38 member hotels, including Hotel Negresco in Nice, the Mena House in Cairo and King David Hotel in Jerusalem.
Leading Hotels of the World started as a reservation service for independent hotels, and later supported sales and marketing, advertising and public relations, financial services, quality control, and hotel inspections for its member properties. The company does not own hotels; most member hotels are independent, though some are part of chains.
As of 2011[update] Andrea Kracht, proprietor of Baur au Lac in Zürich, Switzerland, was the chairman of Hotel Representative, A.G., and Theodore (Ted) Teng was the president and chief executive officer. The company had 24 offices around the world.
The company restricts membership to hotels considered to be in the luxury category, which are inspected and voted on by the company's Executive Committee.
In popular culture
A section of the LHW website, "LHW in the Movies", lists 85 films and their corresponding hotels, with behind-the-scenes stories and anecdotes from filming. Films that feature LHW hotels include The Quiet Man (Ashford Castle), Midnight in Paris (Hôtel Le Bristol Paris), The Man Who Knew Too Much (La Mamounia), and Notting Hill (The Ritz Hotel, London).
- Château de la Messardière, St. Tropez, France 
- Grand Hôtel Barrière, Dinard Cedex, France 
- Grand-Hôtel du Cap-Ferrat, A Four Seasons Hotel, Saint-Jean Cap-Ferrat, France 
- Hôtel Barrière Le Fouquet's Paris, Paris, France 
- Hôtel Barrière Le Majestic Cannes, Cannes Cedex, France 
- Hotel Byblos Saint-Tropez, St.-Tropez, France 
- Hotel Casadelmar Route de Palombaggia, Corsica, France 
- Hôtel du Palais, Biarritz, France 
- Hotel La Résidence de la Pinède, St. Tropez, France 
Notes and references
- "The Leading Hotels of the World, Ltd.". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- Corgel, Jack B.; Sturman, Michael C.; Verma, Rohit (26 April 2011). The Cornell School of Hotel Administration on Hospitality: Cutting Edge Thinking and Practice. John Wiley and Sons. p. 15. ISBN 978-0-470-55499-9. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- Fyall, Alan; Garrod, Brian (2004). Tourism Marketing: A Collaborative Approach. Channel View Publications. p. 270. ISBN 978-1-873150-89-4. Retrieved 31 July 2011.
- "About Us : History, Standards and Team : Leading Hotels of the World". lhw.com. The Leading Hotels of the World. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- "Leading Hotels : In The Movies". Lhw.com. Retrieved 2013-06-09.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Leading Hotels of the World, Ltd.|