The Lean Startup
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Genre||Business, Non-fiction, Entrepreneurship|
|Publisher||Crown Business (USA)|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover)|
|Pages||336 p. (US hardcover edition)|
The Lean Startup: How Today's Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businesses is a book by Eric Ries describing his proposed lean startup strategy for startup companies.
Ries developed the idea for the lean startup from his experiences as a startup advisor, employee, and founder. Ries attributes the failure of his first startup, Catalyst Recruiting, to not understanding the wants of their target customers and focusing too much time and energy on the initial product launch.
After Catalyst, Ries was a senior software engineer with There, Inc., which had a failed expensive product launch. Ries sees the error in both cases as "working forward from the technology instead of working backward from the business results you're trying to achieve."
Instead, Ries argues that in order to build a great company, one must begin with the customers in the form of interviews and research discovery. Building an MVP (Minimum Viable Product) and then testing and iterating quickly results in less waste and a better product market fit. Ries also recommends using a process called the Five Whys, a technique designed to reach the core of an issue.
Companies cited in the book as practicing Ries' ideas include Alphabet Energy of California.
- Roush, Wade. Eric Ries, the Face of the Lean Startup Movement, on How a Once-Insane Idea Went Mainstream. Xconomy. July 6, 2011.
- Lohr, Steve. The Rise of the Fleet-Footed Start-Up. The New York Times. April 24, 2010.
- Solon, Olivia. Interview: Eric Ries, Author Of The Lean Startup. Wired. January 17, 2012.
- Loizos, Connie. “Lean Startup” evangelist Eric Ries is just getting started. Reuters. May 26, 2011.
- Venture Capital: Eric Ries, author of "The Lean Startup". YouTube. November 21, 2009.
- "The Lean Startup | Case Studies". theleanstartup.com. Retrieved 2018-01-05.
- "General Electric Wants to Act Like a Startup". Bloomberg.com. 2014-08-08. Retrieved 2018-01-05.
- Ries, Eric (2017-10-17). The Startup Way: How Modern Companies Use Entrepreneurial Management to Transform Culture and Drive Long-Term Growth (Unabridged edition ed.). Random House Audio. ISBN 9780147523303.
- "Hardcover Advice & Misc. Books - Best Sellers - October 2, 2011 - The New York Times". Retrieved 2018-01-05.