The Legal Wife
|The Legal Wife|
|Creative director(s)||Johnny delos Santos|
|Opening theme||"Hanggang Kailan Kita Mamahalin" by Angeline Quinto|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|No. of episodes||98|
|Executive producer(s)||Sackey Prince-Pendatun|
|Running time||30–35 minutes |
Monday - Friday at 21:15 (PST)
|Production company(s)||Star Creatives|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Original release||January 27 –|
June 13, 2014
The Legal Wife is a 2014 Philippine drama television series directed by Rory B. Quintos and Dado C. Lumibao, starring Angel Locsin, Jericho Rosales, Maja Salvador and JC de Vera. The series premiered on ABS-CBN's Primetime Bida evening block and worldwide on The Filipino Channel from January 27, 2014 to June 13, 2014, replacing Maria Mercedes.
The story revolves around Monica Santiago (Angel Locsin). Due to the past she encountered with her mother Eloisa (Rio Locsin), her life is put through the test in a whole new environment with her father Javier (Christopher de Leon), and her two brothers Javi (Joem Bascon) and Jasper (Ahron Villena). Through a set of circumstances, she will meet and fall in love with Adrian (Jericho Rosales), the man who will teach her how to love again, and the man who will also break her heart.
Cast and characters
- Angel Locsin as Monica "Ikay" Santiago-de Villa
- Jericho Rosales as Adrian de Villa
- Maja Salvador as Nicole Esquivel
- JC de Vera as Max Gonzales
- Christopher de Leon as Javier Santiago, Sr.
- Rio Locsin as Eloisa Santiago
- Mark Gil as Dante Ramos
- Maria Isabel Lopez as Sandra de Villa
- Joem Bascon as Javier "Javi" Santiago. Jr.
- Ahron Villena as Jasper Santiago
- Janus del Prado as Bradley
- Matet de Leon as Rowena
- Bernard Palanca as Miguel Zapanta
- Vandolph Quizon as Samboy
- Joe Vargas as Andrew de Villa
- Pamu Pamorada as Trish de Villa
- Odette Khan as Yaya Krising
- Leo Rialp as Eduardo "Gramps" Esquivel
- Pinky Marquez as Emma Alvaro
- Michael Flores as Bob Rivera
- Thou Reyes as Jon
- Dionne Monsanto as Rhea
- Zeppi Borromeo as Anton
- Carla Humphries as Audrey
- Johan Santos as Vincent "Vince" Madriaga
- Jesse James Ongteco / Yogo Singh as Javier "Thirdy" Santiago III
- Frenchie Dy as Kelly
- Sonjia Calit as Gwen Santiago
- Bugoy Cariño as young Jasper
- Casey De Silvia as young Nicole
- Xyriel Manabat as young Monica
- Aaron Junatas as young Javi
- James Blanco as young Javier
- Neri Naig as young Eloisa
- Matt Evans as young Dante
- Dang Cruz as young Yaya Krising
- Junjun Nayra as Atty. Hector Vargas/Monica's Lawyer
- Ricardo Cepeda as Manuel Gonzales/Max's Dad
- Carlos Morales as Javier De Villa
Prior to the official airing of the show, its working titles were originally known as Hanggang Kailan Kita Mamahalin, and as Langis at Tubig. Jake Cuenca and Andi Eigenmann was originally part of the main cast, but was replaced by JC de Vera and Maja Salvador. Paulo Avelino was also reported to be part of the series but later backed out due to personal reasons. Avelino was later replaced by Jericho Rosales.
Filming of the series began in October 2013.
The Legal Wife was originally planned to air on October 28, 2013. It was later pushed back to November 2013 and was set to replace Bukas Na Lang Kita Mamahalin. But due to the request of Koreanovela fans and taping conflicts because of Typhoon Yolanda, the airing was postponed because of Korean drama When a Man Falls in Love. Eventually, the series had its pilot episode broadcast last January 27, 2014 as part of ABS-CBN's Primetime Bida block. Initially, the series was supposed to replace When a Man Falls in Love, but later ends up taking over the timeslot vacated by Maria Mercedes due to the demanding request of Koreanovela fans.
Prior to the official airing of the television series, ABS-CBN launched several teasers of the show. One was the slapping scene between Angel Locsin and Maja Salvador's characters aired on January 1, 2014. The trailer was well received and went even viral all over the web, creating parodies and memes.
Basing on the data gathered by Kantar Media, the pilot episode earned 21.1% of national viewership, making it the 5th most watched primetime program. It also topped its timeslot beating its rival program Rhodora X of GMA Network which garnered a rating of 11%. From the data gathered by AGB Nielsen Philippines, the program registered of 23.9% Mega Manila viewership, beating Rhodora X which only registered a viewership of 15.8%. During the month of January, the show garnered an average rating of 21.5%—basing on Kantar Media's national ratings survey—landing as the 8th most watched primetime program. The show received an all-time high rating on April 24, 2014 with a whopping 29.4%, higher than average in a show in its time slot based on Kantar Media. On June 11, 2014, The Legal Wife beat its previous all-time high rating, and garnered a staggering 31.7% compared to its rival show, Ang Dalawang Mrs. Real from GMA Network, which only received 9.6%, based on Kantar Media. The Legal Wife's finale episode beat its previous all-time high rating again, and clocked in at a high 36.2%. It became a heated trending topic on social media with the hashtag #TLWTheEndOfAnAffair and was the highest rated show that day.
|Kantar Media||January 27, 2014||June 13, 2014||21.0%/36.2%||#1/#1||#5/#1|||
| The Finale of ABS-CBN's hit family drama series "The Legal Wife," starring ANGEL LOCSIN, Jericho Rosales, Maja Salvador and JC De Vera topped the list of the most-watched TV Programs nationwide last Friday (June 13). According to the data from Kantar Media, the episode dubbed as 'The End of Affair,' hit its all-time national TV rating of 36.2%, which was a record-breaking achievement for a show aired on the 9:15PM time slot. The finale ratings was four times higher than GMA's "Ang Dalawang Mrs. Real" (8.8%).
The theme song Hanggang Kailan Kita Mamahalin? was originally performed by Sharon Cuneta and served as the theme song for the 1996 film Madrasta, which also starred Cuneta alongside Zsa Zsa Padilla and Christopher de Leon. The film was produced by Star Cinema. It was covered by Angeline Quinto and it was used as the theme song for the TV series.
|Vietnam||TodayTV VTC7||Trò chơi tình ái||October 23, 2015|
|Thailand||Bright TV||รักกระชากใจ เดอะซีรีส์ ชุด เมียหมายเลขหนึ่ง|
- "Angeline Quinto wows with 'Legal Wife' theme song". ABS-CBN News. January 15, 2014. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- Kristhoff Cagape (October 25, 2013). "'The Legal Wife 'is ABS-CBN's newest primetime offering". Push. Retrieved March 24, 2014.
- "The Legal Wife casts". abs-cbn.com. Retrieved March 24, 2014.
- "Truth calms intense filled Maria Mercedes finale". ABS-CBN News. January 25, 2014. Retrieved March 24, 2014.
- "Maja Salvador says her new soap with Angel Locsin and Jericho Rosales is a big step in her career". Push. June 13, 2013. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "After 'Imortal,' Angel excited about new soap". ABS-CBN News. October 13, 2013. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Miguel Dumaual (July 11, 2013). "'Mira Bella' and 6 upcoming Kapamilya soaps". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Why did Paulo Avelino back out of series with Angel?". ABS-CBN News. September 19, 2013. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Christine Denny (October 3, 2013). "Jericho Rosales wins acting award in Guam; he will have Angel Locsin, Maja Salvador as co-stars in next project". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Jericho to begin taping for new soap next week". ABS-CBN News. October 9, 2013. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Is it over for Angel, Phil Younghusband?". ABS-CBN News. October 21, 2013. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Vinia Vivar (October 29, 2013). "Maja pinairal ang propesyonalismo kaya tinanggap ang kabit na role". The Philippine Star. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Chuck Smith (January 21, 2014). "Marian: No rivalry with Angel over competing shows". The Philippine Star. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Nestor U. Torre (January 31, 2014). "It's a date". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Miguel Dumaual (January 8, 2014). "Angel-Maja slapping scene generates meme". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- "'The Legal Wife' pilot creates Twitter buzz". ABS-CBN News. January 28, 2014. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- "'Legal Wife' pilot draws strong ratings, rules timeslot". ABS-CBN News. January 29, 2014. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- "BATTLE OF PILOT EPISODES: Carmela and The Legal Wife". Philippine Entertainment Portal. January 28, 2014. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- "ABS-CBN topped nationwide ratings in January". ABS-CBN News. February 6, 2014. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- Mark Angelo Ching (February 14, 2014). "Kantar Media-TNS Total Philippines Household Ratings (January 25-31, 2014): Buzz ng Bayan triumphs on Sunday daytime block". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- Mark Angelo Ching (February 12, 2014). "AGB Nielsen Mega Manila Household Ratings (January 24-31, 2014): The Legal Wife pilot lands on 4th place while Carmela lands on 7th place". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Archived from the original on 2014-04-29. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- http://www.starmometer/2014/06/16/the-legal-wife-ends-at-no-1-nationwide/[permanent dead link]