The Legend of Kyrandia: Malcolm's Revenge
|The Legend of Kyrandia: Malcolm's Revenge|
North American cover art
The Legend of Kyrandia: Book Three - Malcolm's Revenge is the third and final video game in the The Legend of Kyrandia series, released in 1994. It is a sequel to Hand of Fate. Westwood Studios developed the .VQA (Vector Quantized Animation) file format for video encoding in Malcolm's Revenge. GOG.com released an emulated version for Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X in 2013.
After Malcolm's defeat against Brandon in the first game, Malcolm had been turned into a statue, but after having been struck by lightning, he was liberated from the spell. Malcolm then decides to take his revenge upon Brandon and Kallak, helped by his evil conscience, Gunther. Even though he lost his powerful magic, Malcolm decides to use his malicious wit and cunning to go through with his revenge. He eventually proves his innocence of the murder of Brandon's parents.
According to designer Rick Gush, Malcolm's Revenge was under-marketed by management, as "the brass at Westwood did not care about anything else" besides Command & Conquer. Despite this problem, he estimated the game as a commercial success, with sales above those of Fables and Fiends and Hand of Fate combined. The game's later bundle SKU with its two predecessors contributed "tens of thousands of [additional] copies to the sales totals in the first few months", Gush noted. The Legend of Kyrandia series as a whole, including Malcolm's Revenge, totaled above 250,000 units in sales by August 1996.
Malcolm's Revenge won Electronic Entertainment's 1994 "Best Adventure Game" award. The editors wrote that the game "offers more of the same, and then some." PC Gamer US nominated Malcolm's Revenge for its 1994 "Best Adventure Game" award, but it lost to System Shock.
Next Generation reviewed the PC version of the game, and stated that "The brilliant visuals, a great sense of humor, and truly challenging puzzles will remind you what a great graphic adventure is all about."
- "Release: The Legend of Kyrandia: Hand of Fate & Malcolm's Revenge". GOG.com. CD Projekt. October 10, 2013. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
- Meredith, Gary (January 1995). "Legend of Kyrandia, Book Three: Malcolm's Revenge". PC Gamer US. Archived from the original on March 9, 2000.
- Staff (January 1995). "Malcolm's Revenge". Next Generation. No. 1. Imagine Media. p. 97.
- McClelland, Deke (January 1996). "The Legend of Kyrandia, Book 3 Malcolm's Revenge". [Macworld]]. Archived from the original on August 9, 1997. Retrieved October 12, 2019.
- Smith, Jon (January 1995). "A Month of New Toys... Games Scene". CD-ROM Today UK (9): 115, 116.
- Staff (March 1995). "The First Annual PC Gamer Awards". PC Gamer. 2 (3): 44, 45, 47, 48, 51.
- Staff (March 1995). "The Second Annual Electronic Entertainment Editors' Choice Awards". Electronic Entertainment (15): 45–51.
- Dickens, Evan (May 20, 2002). "Rick Gush, designer of the Kyrandia games". Adventure Gamers. Archived from the original on November 22, 2002. Retrieved October 12, 2019.
- "Westwood hits GENCON 96" (Press release). Westwood Studios. August 28, 1996. Archived from the original on June 5, 1997. Retrieved October 12, 2019.
- Scorpia (January 1995). "Sure You Jest!". Computer Gaming World (126): 121, 122, 124.