The Library (play)
|Written by||Scott Z. Burns|
|Date premiered||March 25, 2014|
The Library is an off-Broadway play that originally ran from March 25 to April 27, 2014 at The Public Theater in New York City. The play was directed by Steven Soderbergh and starred Chloë Grace Moretz. It was inspired by Dave Cullen's book Columbine about the Columbine Massacre.
The play stars Chloë Grace Moretz as Caitlin Gabriel, a student who survives a school shooting, then struggles to relay her version of events among the misinformation that erupts in the aftermath of the shooting.
- Chloë Grace Moretz
- Ben Livingston
- Michael O'Keefe
- Daryl Sabara
- Lili Taylor
- David Townsend
- Tamara Tunie
- Jennifer Westfeldt
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2018)
The Library is loosely based on Dave Cullen's book Columbine about the Columbine high school massacre. Producers Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall acquired the rights to Cullen's book, initially with the intention of turning it into a feature film by director David Fincher. The producers ultimately decided against turning the book into a film about the Columbine massacre. Instead, they adapted the book into a play which incorporated themes from the book.
Producers Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall have expressed their intention to put the play on in other cities across the United States, and possibly around the world. They also discussed the possibility of adapting the play into a series for HBO.
- "The Library". publictheater.org. The Public Theater. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- Healy, Patrick (16 January 2014). "Soderbergh to Direct New Play at Public Theater". The New York Times.
- Rooney, David (16 January 2014). "Steven Soderbergh to Direct Off-Broadway Play Starring Chloe Grace Moretz". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Chloë Grace Moretz to Star in 'The Library,' New Play About Gun Violence". The Huffington Post. 17 January 2014.
- Vanasco, Jennifer (19 April 2014). "Soderbergh's 'The Library' Takes the Blood out of a School Shooting". WNYC.
- Horn, John (24 April 2014). "'The Library' rewrites the book on Columbine". Los Angeles Times.