The Lifted Brow
|Editors||Ellena Sage, Gillian Te|
The Lifted Brow (also known as TLB and/or the Brow) is a not-for-profit literary organisation from Australia that publishes magazines and books for both Australian and global readership, as well as producing events, running prizes, and more. Its flagship publication is a quarterly print magazine/journal, also called The Lifted Brow, which is read all around the world - according to the publications website.
Established in 2007 by Ronnie Scott, and run since early 2012 by Sam Cooney along with a large team, the print magazine/journal The Lifted Brow can also be read online and via an iOS app. The Lifted Brow is currently edited by Ellena Savage and Gillian Terzis, with a large editorial and support team. The Lifted Brow also publishes original content regularly on its website focussing on two major areas: social commentary, and literary criticism and discussion.
Loosely falling under the literary journal category, the print edition publishes longform non-fiction and fiction, flash fiction, commentary, criticism, poetry, as well as artwork, drawings, comics, and music; it has long been considered "uncategorisable". Early versions of the publication were perfect-bound journal format, and then in tabloid newsprint format, before evolving to the high-quality matte magazine format that is currently published four times annually. For a few years editions of The Lifted Brow included an arts and cultural lift-out called "Middlebrow", which featured film, book, and television reviews, and articles profiling new video games, theatre, and music. Some editions have been themed; themes have included 'Food', 'Sex', 'Music', 'Medicine', 'Art', 'Ego', 'Perth', and 'David Foster Wallace'.
In 2013 The Lifted Brow published its first anthology: The Best of The Lifted Brow: Volume One. Edited by Ronnie Scott and celebrating the first five years of the magazine (2007-2011) it features David Foster Wallace, Frank Moorhouse, Jim Shepard, Karen Russell, Daniel Handler, Lisa Brown[disambiguation needed], Heidi Julavits, Adam Levin, Karen Coin, Rick Moody, Robert Shearman, n a bourke, Glen David Gold, Blake Butler, Michaela McGuire, Chris Somerville, Liam Pieper, Sam Cooney, Romy Ash, Luke Ryan, Tao Lin, Benjamin Law, Benjamin Kunkel, Christos Tsiolkas, Tom Cho, Rebecca Giggs, Alice Pung, Elspeth Muir, and Anna Krien.
In late 2014 The Lifted Brow begun the running of its now-annual Prize for Experimental Non-fiction, with judges John D'Agata, Mallory Ortberg and Rebecca Giggs declaring Oscar Schwartz the winner in 2015 for his piece 'Humans pretending to be computers pretending to be humans'. The 2016 prize judges are Helen Macdonald, Kate Zambreno, Dodie Bellamy and Maria Tumarkin.
- "Where to find The Lifted Brow". The Lifted Brow. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "Ronnie Scott's Eye on Melbourne". Ronald David Scott. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "Masthead". The Lifted Brow. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "The Lifted Brow web version". The Lifted Brow. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "The Lifted Brow on the App Store". Itunes. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "Ellena Savage". Ellena Savage. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "Gillian Terzis". gillianterzis.tumblr.com. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "The Lifted Brow, Issue 5". 3000 books. 27 July 2009. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "The Best of the Lifted Brow: Volume One | Penguin Books Australia". Penguin. 25 September 2013. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "Prize for Experimental Non-Fiction". theliftedbrow.com. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- "'Humans Pretending to be Computers Pretending to... | The Lifted Brow". The Lifted Brow. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "The Stack Awards 2015: The winners! - STACK magazines". STACK magazines. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- "The Stack Awards". STACK magazines. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "The Lifted Brow Expands into Book Publishing". The Lifted Brow. Retrieved 18 April 2016.