The Line (Foo Fighters song)
|Single by Foo Fighters|
|from the album Concrete and Gold|
|Released||May 1, 2018|
|Studio||EastWest, Hollywood, California|
|Foo Fighters singles chronology|
"The Line" is a song by American rock band Foo Fighters. The song is from the band's ninth studio album Concrete and Gold, being released as a promotional song a week in advance of the album's release. It was released as the album's third single on May 1, 2018, after "Run" and "The Sky Is a Neighborhood".
"The Line" is a song from the Foo Fighters ninth studio album Concrete and Gold, and was the third song released ahead of the album's release, after Run" and "The Sky is a Neighborhood". It was released on September 7, 2017, some journalists describing it as a single, and others just describing it as a promotional song. The song was both released for music streaming, and released as an instant grat download - allowing a person who pre-orded the album, to instantly receive the song prior to the album's release. In October 2017, the song was featured in commercials for TBS's post-season Major League Baseball coverage. On May 1, 2018, the song was released as the album's third single.
Themes and composition
Grohl explained the meaning of the title, stating that it is about "a search for hope in this day and age where you feel as if you're fighting for your life with every passing moment, and everything is on the line." Instrumentally, Rolling Stone described the track as a "raucous yet melodic rocker with colossal guitars and pounding drums that drive forward while lighter, pop-tinged instrumental touches swirl underneath." Many journalists noted the high energy of the song, with Blabbermouth noting its "propulsive melody" with "heartfelt lyrics" and a "rousing chorus", and NME describing it as "blistering" and "euphoric". Team Rock/Classic Rock Magazine described the track as having a huge sound that would go over well in large arenas and music festivals.
In a dedicated review of the song, Vulture praised the song as likely to be a standout track of the album, and describing the song as "blue chip" rock" and "a perennial sound you can set your clock by...huge guitars and winsome harmonies....all held together by a tone best described as openhearted and full-throated. Rolling Stone praised Grohl's powerful vocal performance in the song, specifically of the lines "The tears in your eyes/ Someday will dry/ We fight for our lives/ Because everything's on the line/ This time". Consequence of Sound was far more negative of the track, ranking it the third worst Foo Fighter song of all time, 135th out of 137 songs, calling it "big and plodding", and ultimately concluding that it sounded out of place compared to the rest of the album. Conversely, DIY Magazine described it as "pretty much everything you’d want from a song by Dave Grohl and co – driving, propulsive and dramatic, it combines light and dark into a potent melting pot."
- Dave Grohl – lead vocals, guitar
- Chris Shiflett – guitar
- Pat Smear – guitar
- Nate Mendel – bass
- Taylor Hawkins – drums, backing vocals
- Rami Jaffee – Mellotron, piano, B3 organ
- Greg Kurstin – bass synth, vibraphone
- Jessy Greene – violin
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||47|
|Canada Rock (Billboard)||1|
|UK Rock and Metal (Official Charts Company)||7|
|US Hot Rock Songs (Billboard)||41|
- "Foo Fighters' New Song "The Line" Absolutely Soars - Nerdist". nerdist.com. September 7, 2017.
- "Foo Fighters Release New Song "The Line": Listen". spin.com. September 7, 2017.
- "Foo Fighters Share New Song 'The Line'". radio.com.[permanent dead link]
- Guan, Frank. "Foo Fighters' 'The Line' Is Predictable, But That Doesn't Mean It's Bad". vulture.com.
- "Foo Fighters premiere new song "The Line": Stream". consequenceofsound.net. September 7, 2017.
- "Listen to a New Foo Fighters Song, "The Line"". pastemagazine.com.
- "Foo Fighters Announce Tour With Weezer, Share New Song 'The Line'". billboard.com.
- "Hear the Foo Fighters' New Song, 'The Line'". Diffuser.fm.
- "Foo Fighters – "The Line"". stereogum.com. September 7, 2017.
- "Foo Fighters release new song 'The Line' off of upcoming album". axs.com.
- "Listen To New FOO FIGHTERS Song 'The Line'". blabbermouth.net. September 7, 2017.
- "Stream Foo Fighters' euphoric new track 'The Line' - NME". nme.com. September 7, 2017.
- "Hear Foo Fighters' New Song 'The Line'". Loudwire.
- "Listen to Foo Fighters' New Song "The Line" - Pitchfork". pitchfork.com.
- "Hear Foo Fighters' Urgent New Song 'The Line'". rollingstone.com.
- "Foo Fighters walk 'The Line' on their new track". DIY.
- "Foo Fighters 'The Line'". exclaim.ca.
- "Future Releases on Alternative Radio Stations, Independent Artist Song Releases | ..." All Access. Retrieved March 8, 2018.
- "Listen to the new Foo Fighters track The Line". teamrock.com. September 7, 2017.
- "Yes! The best new music of right now is but a click away!". teamrock.com. September 8, 2017.
- "Ranking: Every Foo Fighters Song from Worst to Best". consequenceofsound.net. September 12, 2017.
- "Ultratop.be – Foo Fighters – The Line" (in Dutch). Ultratip. Retrieved June 29, 2018.
- "Foo Fighters - Billboard Canada Rock (part 2)". Billboard. Retrieved July 30, 2018.
- "The Line". Polskie Radio. Retrieved May 24, 2018.
- "Official Rock & Metal Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company. Retrieved September 22, 2017.
- "Foo Fighters Chart History (Hot Rock Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved September 22, 2017.