The Listener (TV series)
|Created by||Michael Amo|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||5|
|No. of episodes||65 (list of episodes)|
|Production locations||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Running time||38~43 minutes|
|Original release||March 1, 2009 –|
August 18, 2014
The Listener is a Canadian fantasy drama television series created by Michael Amo. The series stars Craig Olejnik as Toby Logan, a paramedic with telepathic powers who finds himself consulting with law enforcement to make a change in the world by helping others while listening to the thoughts of victims and criminals, and seeing images that they saw.
The series premiered on CTV on June 3, 2009. CTV renewed the series for four more seasons, each consisting of 13 episodes, premiering February 8, 2011, May 30, 2012, May 29, 2013, and May 26, 2014. In August 2014, CTV announced that they had cancelled the show. The series finale aired on August 18, 2014.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||13||March 3, 2009||May 26, 2009|
|2||13||February 8, 2011||August 31, 2011|
|3||13||May 30, 2012||September 12, 2012|
|4||13||May 29, 2013||August 28, 2013|
|5||13||May 26, 2014||August 18, 2014|
Season One (2009)
Toby is a 28-year-old first year paramedic who never knew his father and grew up in foster homes. Until now, Toby has kept secret his premonitions and his ability to listen to people's surface thoughts, only discussing them with his confidant and former counsellor, Dr. Ray Mercer (Colm Feore). While he and his partner Osman "Oz" Bey (Ennis Esmer) cross the city of Toronto in an ambulance, Toby helps people in crisis and gradually comes to terms with his own past. With the help of Detective Charlie Marks (Lisa Marcos) and his on-and-off girlfriend Olivia Fawcett (Mylène Dinh-Robic), an ER doctor, Toby realizes that he can use his gift to help other people.
Season Two (2011)
It's a year and a half later and Toby has finally come to terms with his telepathic powers and is still working with his paramedic partner Osman Bey. While assisting with an undercover case investigated by the Integrated Investigative Bureau (a special unit of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police), Toby reveals his gift to Sgt. Michelle McCluskey (Lauren Lee Smith). Despite her initial skepticism, she realises that Toby's special abilities could be her team's secret weapon. So alongside his paramedic work Toby joins Michelle and other members of the IIB to help solve some of their most difficult and high-profile cases ranging from suspicious homicides to cases of arms dealing. But the price to pay for having such a gift is the emotional and physical effects of delving into some of the most deranged criminal minds out there and it is his old flame Dr Olivia Fawcett who helps him deal with his problems.
Season Three (2012)
Toby stopped being a confidential informant for IIB after Elizabeth Simmonds was killed. He had been having intense headaches that Olivia said could kill him. He finds himself in trouble again after he goes into the bank that's about to be robbed. He makes the decision to go into the bank after withdrawing cash and Michelle and Dev race to team up with him and prevent the robbery. Klein finds out about his abilities after he demands to know why Michelle and Dev are so overprotective of Toby. It isn't until after the guard who was shot tells Michelle personal details about the robbers that he begins to believe it. He makes a deal to start a unit for cases that are either cold and/or can't be solved by normal procedures. Toby joins IIB as a special consultant, working for the IIB the majority of the time, while picking up shifts as a paramedic.
Season Four (2013)
Toby's personal life heats up as his relationship grows with crime reporter Tia Tremblay (Melanie Scrofano), who is inexplicably the one person he cannot read. Sgt. Michelle McCluskey struggles through a complicated marriage with her husband (Kris Holden-Ried), while IIB head Alvin Klein (Peter Stebbings) attempts to protect himself and his team from the political maneuverings of the ambitious new police superintendent, Nichola Martell (Ingrid Kavelaars). Meanwhile, new director of emergency services Oz Bey realizes that being the boss is harder than he expected.
Season Five (2014)
In the final season, Michelle becomes the mother of a little girl with her husband Adam, whereas Dev begins to be interested in Alex Kendrick, a new scientist working for IIB. Oz left his job of paramedic and is now the owner of a restaurant, and Toby continues his relationship with Tia. Klein gets a promotion and leaves the head of the team to somebody that Toby already knows.
In episode 8 of the third season, Flashpoint character Michaelangelo "Spike" Scarlatti crossed over in a brief scene in which he was leaving the hospital after getting medical attention and interacted with Osman "Oz" Bey who had just brought a patient to the hospital.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Production for the second season began in September 2010 and ended February 2011.
In terms of storylines and overall tone, star Craig Olejnik has said that "season two is more mature, stronger, smoother, and it really picks up... it really moves into a whole new world." Examples of this "new world" include the ways in which Toby finds himself in cases. In season one, the majority of cases in which Toby was involved were approached by Toby. That is, Toby, as a paramedic, was called to a location and found himself wrapped inside of a case. On the other hand, season two sees Toby approached by Sergeant McCluskey on most cases. In addition, season one had more of a mysterious, conspiracy sci-fi theme whereas season two has, as star Lauren Lee Smith states, "no real sci-fi aspect to it... It’s a guy who can read people’s minds and he helps the cops out with that."  Season two nearly abandons Toby's search for his mother and an understanding of his powers. Colm Feore's character is gone, and the telepathic link is only through Toby solving crimes. Rather than try to discover what has happened to his mother and to learn more about his psychic sense, Toby "further embraces his telepathic powers to help solve criminal investigations". Season three continues the strictly procedural trend, with Toby becoming more officially involved with Sgt. McCluskey's position in IIB.
Fox International Channels premiered the series in the first week of March 2009 simultaneously in over 180 territories, making it the first-ever global premiere. This also meant that the series premiered three months before it premiered in Canada and the U.S.
On October 7, 2013, CTV renewed the series for a fifth and final season consisting of 13 episodes. It premiered on Monday, May 26, 2014. In August 2014, CTV announced that they had cancelled the show. The series finale aired on August 18, 2014. The series finale (episode #65) aired at 9 p.m. ET on Monday, August 18, 2014.
Series star Craig Olejnik said in a ctv.ca finale interview that "I think (executive producer) Peter Mohan and the writers did a good job of wrapping up some of the bigger ideas that we have presented. Something comes full circle that people have been waiting for, for a long time".
The series premiered on NBC in the U.S. on June 4, 2009. It was dropped after airing 7 episodes (of the 13 episode season) due to poor ratings, with the remaining episodes being made available for viewing online at NBC.com and Hulu.com. In 2011, it was announced that Ion Television had purchased the rights to the first two seasons of the series to be aired in 2012, with an option to purchase successive seasons. Then in 2014, ION Television signed on to become co-producer to the show. In November 2014, ION Television acquired the rights to Season 5.
The series premiered on GO! in Australia on March 3, 2010. However, it was taken off the air twice due to low ratings. The series was later purchased by SoHo (formerly W) who have broadcast the first three seasons. Season 4 premiered on SoHo on August 5, 2013, with season 5 returning August 4, 2014.
Season one of The Listener was released on DVD in the U.K. for Region 2 and Region 4 on September 13, 2010. The release date for season one to be released for Region 1 is yet to be announced, as well as the release of consecutive seasons for all regions.
In Italy, The Listener not only grew the timeslot average by 470%, according to research company Auditel/AGB, but it was the second-most watched show ever on Fox.
- "THE LISTENER Returns for Season 4, May 29 on CTV TELEVISION". Press + 1. May 8, 2013. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- "NBC cancels Canadian co-production The Listener - Arts & Entertainment - CBC News". CBC News. July 17, 2009. Retrieved May 30, 2013.
- Harris, Bill (November 17, 2009). "'The Listener' gets renewed Columnists Opinion Toronto Sun". Toronto Sun. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- "The Listener - News - Season 2 of 'The Listener' returns Feb. 8 on CTV - CTV". CTV. January 28, 2011. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- "Flashpoint - News - New seasons ordered for 'Flashpoint', 'The Listener' and 'The Borgias' - CTV". CTV. June 1, 2011. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- "The Listener - News - A 'Flashpoint' crossover and the death of a major character in store on Season 3 of 'The Listener' - CTV". CTV. May 2, 2012. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- "The Listener - News - 'The Listener' and 'Saving Hope' renewed for new seasons- CTV". CTV. July 25, 2012. Retrieved June 14, 2013.
- "The Listener - News 'The Listener renewed for Season 5; challenges ahead for Toby Logan - CTV". CTV. October 10, 2013. Retrieved October 14, 2013.
- "CTV congratulates 'The Listener' on five incredible seasons as series finale confirmed to air August 18". CTV. August 8, 2014. Archived from the original on August 7, 2014. Retrieved August 8, 2014.
- "Foggy Notion". The Listener. Season 1. Episode 6. April 7, 2009.
- "The Listener - Shows". FXUK.com. 2009-10-12. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- "Breaking News - NBC picks up 'The Listener' -- CTV's Original Drama Series from Shaftesbury Films TheFutonCritic.com". The Futon Critic. February 1, 2008. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- "The Listener season two canceled + renewed TV shows TV Series Finale". TV Series Finale. December 14, 2009. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- "CTV, FOX International Channels, and Shaftesbury Announce Start of Production on Season 3 of The Listener". FOX International Channels. October 4, 2011. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- "NBC picks up "The Listener" - CTV's original drama series from Shaftesbury Films". The Futon Critic. 2008-02-01.
- Wild, Diane (2010-09-22). "The Listener starts production on Season 2". Tv-eh.com. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- Warner, Tyrone (2011-02-08). "Craig Olejnik talks season two of The Listener on CTV". CTV. Retrieved 2011-06-13.
- Warner, Tyrone (2011-02-10). "Q&A with the newest star of The Listener, Lauren Lee Smith". CTV. Retrieved 2011-06-13.
- Warner, Tyrone (2011-01-28). "Season 2 of The Listener returns Feb 8 on CTV". CTV. Retrieved 2011-06-13.
- "foxcrimeasia.com" (PDF). Fox International Channels. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- "CTV Orders New Seasons of Hit Canadian Dramas THE LISTENER and SAVING HOPE". Bell Media. July 25, 2012.
- "Canadians are all ears as 'The Listener' returns for Season 4 on May 29". Bell Media. Retrieved May 19, 2013.
- Wilson, Mark (July 20, 2009). "NBC Cancels The Listener". About.com. Retrieved May 30, 2013.
- Vlessing, Etan (December 4, 2011). "ION Television Acquires 'The Listener'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 30, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (February 24, 2014). "'The Listener' To Become ION Original Series As Network Joins As Co-Producer". Deadline.com.
- "The Listener - TV.com". TV.com. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- Dave. "The Listener TV show, UK air date, UK TV premiere date". Geek Town. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- Knox, David (February 17, 2010). "Airdate: The Listener TV Tonight". TV Tonight. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- Knox, David (November 19, 2010). "Gone: The Listener TV Tonight". TV Tonight. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- "The Listener Episodes Series SoHo". SoHo. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- "SoHo - The Listener". SoHo. Retrieved September 6, 2013.
- "SoHo - The Listener". SoHo. Retrieved August 15, 2014.
- "The Listener - Season 1 (DVD)". amazon.co.uk. Retrieved March 28, 2011.
- Whiteman, Bobby (March 11, 2009). "Global audiences love 'The Listener'". Variety. Retrieved 2009-03-31.
- Schneider, Michael (July 15, 2009). "NBC Tuning out 'The Listener'". Variety. Retrieved 2009-07-15.